Thread: What do you think of this battle strategy for attacking a walled city?

Default What do you think of this battle strategy for attacking a walled city?

In the case you're pressed for time. For example, when you don't have time to besiege the city because if you wait for one more turn to start the battle, another enemy army will reach the city to help and you'll be in trouble because you'll be significantly outnumbered.

In this case you would have only 1 ladder or 1 ram as siege equipment. What would I do is the following:

- If I have 1 ram:

I'd try to use a part of range units to give covering fire ( mostly I'd aim at the enemy ranged units that are on the wall ) to the military unit that is manning the ram. If the city has another gate, I'd assign my cheap mercenaries or my weaker infantry units to both burn and destroy the other gate and also covering them with some of my ranged units. In this case then I'll try to push through both gates at the same time.

- If I have 1 ladder: I'd assign some weaker infantry units to destroy one of the gates and given them covering fire by firing mostly at the enemy ranged units that are on the wall. And my ladder to a section of the wall not too far from the gate my weaker infantry units are trying to destroy.

In your case, what would you do?

EDIT:

I think in some cases you get 2 ladders before besieging a city ( That would depend maybe on your general's traits or on the researched technologies ). If get 2 ladders, then I'd assign a second ladder to attack from the other side of the city
    Last edited by twgamer20197; August 17, 2020 at 09:37 AM.

Default Re: What do you think of this battle strategy for attacking a walled city?

What do you mean by 1 ladder? You get 4 right off the bat.

Default Re: What do you think of this battle strategy for attacking a walled city?

In some cases you get only 1 ladder. For example when I played Rise of the Republic as Rome. But only in the early stage

Oh. Then I'd say you've got a viable strategy. Though I wish Rome 2 gave the option for loose formation like in M2; those gates can annihilate entire units rather quickly.

Unfortunatley in case you get only 1 ladder at the start, you have no other choice