Thread: Was there any way that Boudica could have won the battle of Watling Street?

Default Was there any way that Boudica could have won the battle of Watling Street?

For example: why didn't she attack the Romans from their flanks or the rear?

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Was there any way that Boudica could have won the battle of Watling Street?

First sign up for JSTOR free and read. On the Possibility of Reconstructing Marathon and Other Ancient Battles by Whatley

https://www.jstor.org/stable/627699

The Romans offered battle with a very advantageous deployment but they were outnumbered and were offering battle. Flanking or surrounding would have been difficult if even possible. It is doubtful she have fine command and control of her army. This was no Alexander (or Hannibal, or Caesar) to confidently give orders to hardened veteran professionals to ride/march around an army and say just be there at the right time (same also goes for the Athenian navy doing its bait manuver with a small number of ships too lure the enemy into pursuit and trap with disconnected squadrons and they still had that blow in their face at least every so often) . With battle offered one also suspects it could not be refused either for loosing face or supply reasons on the rebellion side. Simple fact is most armies are not made up of professionals and needed to keep things simple.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.