Thread: Did you ever watch this video about Roman soldiers cooking in camp?

Default Did you ever watch this video about Roman soldiers cooking in camp?

Did you ever see this video on youtube? The video says the Roman soldiers ate only 2 meals per day: Breakfast in the morning or at noon. And then dinner in the evening.

Do you think most of us would be hungry with just 2 meals per day if we do the same activities the legionaries did? Taken into account that it's not the same if you have 2 meals per day and you are a bit sedentary in comparison to having 2 meals per day but not being sedentary.

EDIT:

I'll copy and paste the video link directly because the video is not visible and doesn't work ( at least not for me. I don't know if you can see it ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-l_EbXE3LU
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; August 15, 2020 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Video fixed. Inside the YOUTUBE brackets, add only the part after "v=".

Default Re: Did you ever watch this video about Roman soldiers cooking in camp?

Not everyone have breakfast. I don't. Noons are usually heavy meals at work with light meals for dinner. Breakfast is only eaten in a social setting.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Not everyone have breakfast. I don't. Noons are usually heavy meals at work with light meals for dinner. Breakfast is only eaten in a social setting.
    Did you watch the whole video carefully? The Romans had a light meal in the morning or at noon that consisted of loaf of meat and a piece of cheese. Then in the evening they had a bigger meal. They were not sedentary. You'd be hungry if you have just 2 meals a day ( and the first one light meal ) and on top of that, if you are somewhat physically active
    Last edited by twgamer20197; August 18, 2020 at 11:34 AM.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

No. People have their rythms and once they have gotten used to them, they are good. And if someone wanted something during the day, I'm sure they could simply carry a piece of bread with them. Others when campaigning will have done similarly.

I'm sure that calories wise the meals they got were fully sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by twgamer20197 View Post
    Did you watch the whole video carefully? The Romans had a light meal in the morning or at noon that consisted of loaf of meat and a piece of cheese. Then in the evening they had a bigger meal. They were not sedentary. You'd be hungry if you have just 2 meals a day ( and the first one light meal ) and on top of that, if you are somewhat physically active
    I've been having 2 meals a day for decades now. Never made me feel fatigued and I'm the type that takes the stairs when going out of a subway station. At one point took up bi-daily running. The lightness of the meal is kinda dependent on the heaviness of the other meal. If I end up eating a lot for dinner I might eat much less for lunch.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    No. People have their rythms and once they have gotten used to them, they are good. And if someone wanted something during the day, I'm sure they could simply carry a piece of bread with them. Others when campaigning will have done similarly.

I'm sure that calories wise the meals they got were fully sufficient.
    Let's break it down:

According to the video, the legionaries had 2 meals per day. But the first one was light either in the morning or at noon. And the second meal was bigger in the evening. Ok. Let's imagine you are a legionary. Imagine you wake up early in the morning to dismantle the camp and then marching to move the camp to another location ( let's say about 10 miles ). Second, your superiors give you permission to eat your breakfast at 9 A.M before entering a battle. You fight in the battle, you make a huge physical effort there. Once the battle is over you and your comrades go back to camp in the evening and you have your second meal which is bigger than the first one at 8 P.M. How many hours do you think you'd be without eating anything since your morning meal at 9 A.M? In total is 11 hours. That's a pretty long time. And take into account the heavy physical activity you make between those 2 meals. I think anyone of us would feel hungry before the second meal ( I mean specially if we are physically active )

Let's break it down:

According to the video, the legionaries had 2 meals per day. But the first one was light either in the morning or at noon. And the second meal was bigger in the evening. Ok. Let's imagine you are a legionary. Imagine you wake up early in the morning to dismantle the camp and then marching to move the camp to another location ( let's say about 10 miles ). Second, your superiors give you permission to eat your breakfast at 9 A.M before entering a battle. You fight in the battle, you make a huge physical effort there. Once the battle is over you and your comrades go back to camp in the evening and you have your second meal which is bigger than the first one at 8 P.M. How many hours do you think you'd be without eating anything since your morning meal at 9 A.M? In total is 11 hours. That's a pretty long time. And take into account the heavy physical activity you make between those 2 meals. I think anyone of us would feel hungry before the second meal ( I mean specially if we are physically active )
    Did the video suggest they ate before battle?
    The Armenian Issue

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

That will probably have depended on circumstance. For the meal to be transformed into energy it would have been better to eat the evening before the battle anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Back then they would not eat before the battle as it didn't help them with more energy but actually hindered their performance as well as cause stomach movement for the inexperienced ones.
    The Armenian Issue

Did the video suggest they ate before battle?
    Yes. Check from 12:15 to 12:36

Yes. Check from 12:15 to 12:36
    Looks like a mistake as it talks about meal as a reward. Reward before battle or construction work? Doesn't make sense. You're not supposed to perform activities right after work either.
    The Armenian Issue

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Romans ate like pigs before campaigns and they also before and during battle. Eating before battle ensure you get the energy high during the battle and allows you to focus solely on the battle itself.

Roman formations also had a medic and a cook with a pot at the rear. Romans who rotated to the rear would get quick medical attention and grab a piece of hand food like a sarma or a pastry and eat it on the spot to regain energy.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Eating right before a physically straining activity is never ever recommended. It certainly doesn't increase your focus. Eating food is not some mana/health potion in an RPG game.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Eating right before a physically straining activity is never ever recommended. It certainly doesn't increase your focus. Eating food is not some mana/health potion in an RPG game.
    Depends on how many hours before that heavy physical activity

Looks like a mistake as it talks about meal as a reward. Reward before battle or construction work? Doesn't make sense. You're not supposed to perform activities right after work either.
    It says "The exact timing was at the discretion of the commanders and depended on how they planned to use the army. Eating might be scheduled right before battle or as a reward for strenous activity". It mentions different options. And one of them is before a battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    Romans ate like pigs before campaigns and they also before and during battle. Eating before battle ensure you get the energy high during the battle and allows you to focus solely on the battle itself.

Roman formations also had a medic and a cook with a pot at the rear. Romans who rotated to the rear would get quick medical attention and grab a piece of hand food like a sarma or a pastry and eat it on the spot to regain energy.
    Interesting. Where did you get that information from? What was the pastry made of? Mainly out of wheat flour?

Interesting. Where did you get that information from? What was the pastry made of? Mainly out of wheat flour?
    Still waiting...