Thread: Achilles Broken?

Euryanax's Avatar Laetus

Default Achilles Broken?

I give CA credit for trying to make Achilles temperamental like his historical counterpart, but the mechanics seem to be broken. After about 20 turns or so Achilles is in a total funk, which has a -50 affect on diplomatic interactions like bartering.

I love the bartering system. It's more fun than simply making trade deals with factions. Here you have the ability to trade away your surpluses (Achilles starts with a lot of wood) for the raw materials you need like bronze and gold.

Worked great early on, but now that Achilles is spending all of his time sulking, I can no longer trade goods with my friendly neighbors.

In the area where you can see Achilles' emotional levels it says he will continue to sulk if you keep him in garrison. But even when I have him attacking and conquering, it only adds to the number of turns with these negative effects.

I tried knocking off all of the challengers to his reputation of being the #1 badass, but that did not make a difference. Even though he has no challengers, and I keep him fighting constantly, he remains as temperamental as a rock star and is screwing up my economy.

Am I missing something? Or is Achilles broken?

Euryanax's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Achilles Broken?

Okay, I've learned a little more. For some odd reason, you cannot have a priestess character with Achilles. That puts him in a bad mood. And you literally can never sit in a city. If you do, he's tempted to party with the locals. When I made my first post, I had 21 TURNS until he would get over his bad disposition. By doing these two things over the course of 20 more turns, I've gotten it down to just 9 more turns. That's 9 more turns until I can trade or make diplomatic arrangements with anyone. I am not a fan of this mechanic.

He is broken af. After a couple turns, he will lock into a mood and that one will raise and raise, while the 3 others stay stuck at 0% and there is nothing you can do about it.
    Visit me on my Youtube channel : Sin's Gaming Reviews!

You'll get a decision to soothe him in a few turns.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Hello! I had the same problem, so as a workaround I made this little mod to disable the moods' penalties : https://www.nexusmods.com/totalwarsagatroy/mods/23

Hope this helps.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

To avoid penalties when conquering settlements (the mandatory stay inside) simply have another army lead the assault, preferably with a hero that gets a kick out of occupying settlements. Achilles will still get tons of experience from field battles and the story line events.