Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel and UAE announce normalisation of relations. Bahrain follows suit, as does Sudan.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: Israel and UAE announce normalisation of relations

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    I was just thinking about Libya and if Israel would support Haftar. Some support it seems. Not too surprised those. Israel's no fan of Turkey or the MB.
    Turkey's EEZ deal with the Tripoli government leaves Israel with little choice but to prefer Haftar.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    Turkey's EEZ deal with the Tripoli government leaves Israel with little choice but to prefer Haftar.
    That is a reason i forgot to mention. Having Israel in your corner could be just what Haftar needs considering Israel is one of the few countries Turkey doesn't try bother. Except with Hamas of course.

I wonder how this will play out with Saudi Arabia, are they also going to recognize Israel in the foreseeable future. Riyadh and Jerusalem are pretty much aligned to the same camp, from a geopolitical perspective, and Israeli collaboration is essentially necessary for the realisation of the royal Neon project, the mega-city that is planned to be constructed in the Gulf of Aqaba. In my opinion, the greatest difficulty is that Saudi Arabia is much more vulnerable to domestic reaction than the United Arab Emirates, because public order there is considerably more fragile. Saudi Arabia experienced serious civil disturbances during the Arab Spring and the authorities even hanged the leading figure of the protests Sheikh al-Nimr.

If Israel is recognized by Saudi Arabia, there's the chance that, due to Antisemitism and the sensitivity surrounding the Palestinian question, disgruntlement may expand outside the Shiite minority into the Sunni majority, whose quality of life has already been shaken, as a result of tax increases and social security cuts. Eventually, I believe that Muhammad bin Salman will recognize Israel, not because of Iran, but mainly due to how crucial Israeli contribution is for the success of Neon, upon which the country's prosperity and the prince's prestige heavily rely. However, the negotiations will probably last a bit longer and may end up cause a couple of riots in the suburds of the Saudi Arabian cities.

Peace is a problem? That's a new one.
    This is peace?
    The Armenian Issue

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Countries agreeing to cooperate and not fight each other is not peace in your view?
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    Countries agreeing to cooperate and not fight each other is not peace in your view?
    Peace between Israel and the UAE at least. POVG isn't necessarily wrong in saying this could create problems.

For whom? Peace between Israel and Saudi Arabia is on the horizon. Egypt doesn't really care. Yemen, Syria, Lebanon and Iraq have bigger problems - not that the secular regime in Syria cared either - and the rest are kind of irrelevant. There's Iran, which won't risk war for crummy UAE.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Neither the UAE nor other countries are entitled to speak in the name of Palestinians.Furthermore, the Israel/UAE agreement implicitly approves Israel's annexation of Jerusalem. Obviously... Netanyahu: West Bank Annexation Plans Still 'on the Table'

Netanyahu has said he agreed to delay annexation in the occupied West Bank as part of a normalisation deal with the United Arab Emirates (UAE), but the plans remain "on the table"...in a television address after US President Donald Trump's announcement of the deal, Netanyahu said he had only agreed to "delay" the annexation, and that he would "never give up our rights to our land".
    There is no change to my plan to extend sovereignty, our sovereignty in Judea and Samaria, in full coordination with the United States," Netanyahu said in Jerusalem, using the biblical name for the occupied West Bank.
    Biden throws cold water over the optimism of Trump's administration,
    "annexation would be a body blow to the cause of peace, which is why I oppose it now and would oppose it as president," and "would virtually end any chance of a two-state solution that would secure Israel’s future as a Jewish and democratic state and uphold the right of Palestinians to a state of their own."
    Well said.
    Last edited by Ludicus; August 14, 2020 at 12:51 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Civitate

For whom? Peace between Israel and Saudi Arabia is on the horizon. Egypt doesn't really care. Yemen, Syria, Lebanon and Iraq have bigger problems - not that the secular regime in Syria cared either - and the rest are kind of irrelevant. There's Iran, which won't risk war for crummy UAE.
    Iran and Turkey both stand to lose in this arrangement. This peace was very much meant to curb the influence of both of those countries.

Iran doesn't need to go to war to make problems for Israel or the UAE.
    Last edited by Vanoi; August 14, 2020 at 01:12 PM.

Not countries but monarchy of one country with government of one country with an agenda without resolving any outstanding issues between the two nations. They were not fighting each other for years as well. This is not a deal that will benefit the public of either nation. It will simply benefit the ruling groups of either country with respect to their agenda.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    This is peace?
    Yes, between the UAE and Israel. Do you think that the UAE shouldn't recognise Israel?

Nah. Lebanon is an Iranian proxy via Hezbollah and does as their master bids, same for Syria (who also has a dispute with Israel over the Golan). They care, but won't lift a finger. Egypt is in favour of this.

Not countries but monarchy of one country with government of one country with an agenda without resolving any outstanding issues between the two nations. They were not fighting each other for years as well. This is not a deal that will benefit the public of either nation. It will simply benefit the ruling groups of either country with respect to their agenda.
    How is this different than Jordan's recognition? That was also done by a Monarchy. Egypt's was done by their dictator.
    This will benefit the public. This adds stability, direct relations including flights and recognition of Israeli passports in the UAE, open trade and co-operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Neither the UAE nor other countries are entitled to speak in the name of Palestinians.Furthermore, the Israel/UAE agreement implicitly approves Israel's annexation of Jerusalem. Obviously... Netanyahu: West Bank Annexation Plans Still 'on the Table'

Biden throws cold water over the optimism of Trump's administration,
    Well said.
    He only says that to pacify the settler voters whom he is rapidly losing. You trust Netanyahu too much. He promised to begin the process of annexation on the 1st of July. Well, it's August now. Do you see any annexation? I guarantee you that he won't go through with it.
    How does this approve Israel's annexation of Jerusalem? (which happened 40 years ago)
    Where has the UAE spoken in their name? All they've done is normalise relations with Israel in return for Israel cancelling annexation plans (which weren't even made yet).

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    the UAE who have been pouring $millions into Gaza.
    In the recent past, 2017/2108.
    Now,UAE virus aid rejected by Palestinians still at Israel's airport

Explaining Ramallah’s decision to reject the medical supplies, PA Health Ministry medical services director Osama al-Najjar said, “The Emirates did not coordinate with us in the slightest, they worked with Israel alone.”
    “We cannot accept shipments that are a gateway to normalization between Arab countries and Israel. This is a political matter which Israel has sought for quite some time, turning the Arab Peace Initiative upside-down,”
    ----
    Meanwhile, Israel is facing one of the greatest economic crises in its history- and also needs help.
    Jerusalem Post- 40% of Israelis financially struggle with basic needs
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post

Why should the UAE continue to sponsor an entity so ungrateful it won't even accept potentially life saving aid just to spite them?
    Meanwhile, Israel is facing one of the greatest economic crises in its history- and also needs help.
    Jerusalem Post- 40% of Israelis financially struggle with basic needs
    That's the case all over the world. Corona and all.

Peace is a problem? That's a new one.
    Peace with the Je... er... I mean Zionist Enti.... er... I mean Israel is always a problem.

Yes, between the UAE and Israel. Do you think that the UAE shouldn't recognise Israel?
    UAE and Israel was sending missiles at each other last month? The question of recognition is a silly one. It's petty politics. I'm talking to you but I declare that you do not exist...

How is this different than Jordan's recognition? That was also done by a Monarchy. Egypt's was done by their dictator.
    This will benefit the public. This adds stability, direct relations including flights and recognition of Israeli passports in the UAE, open trade and co-operation.
    Yeah, I'm sure Israelis and UAE whatevers are waiting to fly back and forth to hug each other.
    The Armenian Issue

UAE and Israel was sending missiles at each other last month? The question of recognition is a silly one. It's petty politics. I'm talking to you but I declare that you do not exist...
    So why then do you take issue with the recognition?
    Is Fatah regularly sending missiles at Israel? Would you still call it a peace treaty if one were to be signed?
    The question of recognition isn't a silly one, it's very important. You might not see it as such because your nation isn't regularly threatened with annihilation and its very existence isn't questioned.

Yeah, I'm sure Israelis and UAE whatevers are waiting to fly back and forth to hug each other.
    People said the same thing back when the peace treaty with Egypt was signed, and woe and behold now Israelis regularly vacation in the Sinai peninsula.

This right here. UAE and Israel didn't just normalize relations for the sake of it. Israel needs friends when confronting Iran and the UAE is a good choice for that. This helps with Turkey as well as Israel and Turkey aren't on the best of terms.

Only a matter of time before other Arab nations like the Saudis recognize Israel too. This still mostly has to do with Iran though.
    UAE likely realized they could influence Israel's policies toward the Palestinians as allies. Israel would be more willing to cut the Palestinians more slack Israel.didn't feel like the Arsb would cut Israel's throat the minute Israel let its guard down.

If the rest of the Arab world recognized Israel in exchange for Israel.recognizing a Palestinian state, that is something Israel could he persuade to accept, I think.

So why then do you take issue with the recognition?
    Is Fatah regularly sending missiles at Israel? Would you still call it a peace treaty if one were to be signed?
    The question of recognition isn't a silly one, it's very important. You might not see it as such because your nation isn't regularly threatened with annihilation and its very existence isn't questioned.
    Keep in mind recognition and peace is your deflection within the context of my comment. Humor me though, since you mentioned Fatah sending in missiles, when was the last time UAE conducted an attack on Israel?

People said the same thing back when the peace treaty with Egypt was signed, and woe and behold now Israelis regularly vacation in the Sinai peninsula.
    I'm sure they do... With Israeli army waiting on hold to invade at any moment's notice...
    The Armenian Issue

Keep in mind recognition and peace is your deflection within the context of my comment. Humor me though, since you mentioned Fatah sending in missiles, when was the last time UAE conducted an attack on Israel?
    When have I claimed that the UAE conducted an attack? Peace isn't just the absence of war.
    You still haven't told me why this bothers you. I guess I'll just have to keep on asking: Why does this bother you?

I'm sure they do... With Israeli army waiting on hold to invade at any moment's notice...
    Yeah, they do. As for the military comment.. What's your implication, exactly? That Egyptians civilians would harm Israeli tourists and necessitate military intervention to save them?

Iran and Turkey both stand to lose in this arrangement. This peace was very much meant to curb the influence of both of those countries.

Iran doesn't need to go to war to make problems for Israel or the UAE.
    Implying Turkey is relevant. What trouble can Iran cause, more than it has already caused.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast