Thread: Writing Prompt: World War Zero

Default Writing Prompt: World War Zero

Imagine if the major powers of 272 BC all picked sides and engaged in a multi-front, destructive war. That'll be a sight to see. How it all goes down though will be up to your imagination.

Prompts:
    • How did every single faction in EBII eventually pick one of two sides? Consider the complex politics leading up to World War One. Nationalism, imperialism, military buildup, entangling treaties - now use them in the context of the ancient Mediterranean.
    • Which factions comprise each of the two sides? Consider building interesting alliances to establish interesting theaters of war.
    • How did the campaign progress? Territories gained, lost, and regained? Endless slogs, or blitzkrieg warfare? Did some factions switch sides, or had to pull out due to domestic troubles a la Russia in WWI?
    • Which side ends up "winning"? What devastating losses did each faction incur? What harsh and potentially aggravating treaties were imposed on the losers? Will there be a World War Zero Point Five?
    • Who will be the heroes of the war? The villains? What will history remember as the "good guys"? What are the ramifications down the road? Will we all be speaking Punic by 2020 AD?

Rules:
    • While the political/diplomatic situation is completely dictated by you, the geographical and military situation of all factions is as portrayed by the EBII descr_strat file. In other words, what you see at the beginning of the campaign is what the factions get. Of course, some additional scripts modify the starting armies based on which faction you play as. We'll use the starting armies as if the player is Saba
    • Factions are "bloodlusted" in trying to achieve their goals. Bloodlusted means that, instead of behaving like the usual campaign AI, factions make their moves as if controlled by a shrewd, calculating, but still somewhat flawed human player. No game-y tricks though such as storing disloyal generals under the leadership of low-authority faction leaders on ships (looking at you, Ptolemy Philadelphos), so expect the usual consequences of the M2TW engine. Unfortunately there is no room for historical roleplaying, otherwise we'd end up with how history already took place.
    • No political use of diplomats. Changing politics will be conveyed through your writing, not the game-y use of diplomats, although they can bribe enemy armies. Watch out for Carthage and Rome in this regard.
    • The outcome of battle will be up to your interpretation of the involved armies' composition and general's skill. Some armies will counter others while some generals due to their command and confidence will utilize those armies better. For example, Pyrrhos, with his massive command and confidence and balanced army will wreak havoc regardless of who stands in his way.

Default Re: Writing Prompt: World War Zero

The only group of proto-states that actually had Dynastic relationships complex enough for the crazy ass alliances you see in WW1 were the Diadochii, so I think things would be made easier, on a narrative standpoint, if the Successors were at the forefront of the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    The only group of proto-states that actually had Dynastic relationships complex enough for the crazy ass alliances you see in WW1 were the Diadochii, so I think things would be made easier, on a narrative standpoint, if the Successors were at the forefront of the thing.
    Fair enough. The two major Diadochii alliances in that case would be:

The Seleucid Coalition: Seleucids, Antigonids, Pontus, Baktria, Pergamon
    The Ptolemaic Coalition: Ptolemies, Koinon Hellenon

With all other non-Diadochii factions playing proxies. Things aren't looking good for the Ptolemaic Coalition, so they'll be sending emissaries looking to open up new fronts.

The Seleucid Allies:

Rome: still sore about Pyrrhus's attempt at Italy, wants to wipe Epeiroes off the face of the Earth, as well as establish a foothold in Hellas. Will stage a naval invasion to raze Ambrakia, but may distract themselves trying to pacify the pirates on the Illyrian coast

The Ptolemaic Allies:

Nabataeans: Will be supplying valuable horse archers to the Ptolemaic forces in Syria.
    Epeiros: Pyrrhus pays his indemnity to the Ptolemaics by calling off his siege of Sparta and declaring himself the future liberator of Hellas against the Antigonid oppressors.
    Carthage: more concerned about the power vacuum in the western Mediterranean than building relations with their desert buddy. Will deploy her gargantuan fleet to augment the already formidable armada of the Ptolemies, achieving naval supremacy in the entire Mediterranean.
    Numidia: sending out valuable light cavalry mercenaries to fight on behalf of Carthage.
    Hayastan: many concessions were made to the Yervanduni dynasty by the Ptolemies to open up a new front in the Seleucid heartlands.
    Parthia: the great houses have been convinced by Ptolemy diplomats to carve deep into Seleucid lands to brand themselves the true heirs of the Achaemenid dynasty. Will coordinate their efforts with Hayastan.
    Bosporan: convinced by the Oracle at Delphi that Pontus will one day conquer their way counterclockwise up the Pontic littoral, the Leukonid dynasty readily contacted the Ptolemies through their KH grain clients to offer themselves up for war.

Not sure how to include the rest of the factions in the game. Any ideas are welcome.

Theaters of war:

The Hellas Front: Pyrrhus makes amends with the Koinon Hellenon and unite their forces to destroy the Antigonid garrison at Korinthos. From their foothold in the Peloponnese they will liberate the rest of Hellas. However, the Romans have captured and razed Ambrakia, and establishes contact with the Antigonids to supply their massive manpower to Antigonus's cause. Pyrrhus would have to face the dreaded Roman war machine for round three.
    The Pontic Front: Bosphoros begins shipping massive amounts of grain and nomadic horsemen to their allies in Hellas. However, to do so they must squeeze through the Hellaspont, where Pergamon has established a blockade. A tumultuous naval war begins between Bosphorus ad Pergamon while Pontus begin their fated trek across the eastern Pontic littoral. Should the Bosporans ship their nomadic horsemen whom the Hellenes are completely unprepared to face, the balance of power could tip.
    The Syrian Front: Augmented by Nabataean horse archers and camelry, the Ptolemies initiated an offensive to capture the Seleucid stronghold at Antiochea, bypassing Syria Koile in an attempt to break Seleucid power in the region. A Ptolemaic victory in Syria would cut off the Seleucid empire from their western headquarters in Sardeis.
    The Carthaginian Raids: Upon learning of Rome's investment of resources in the Hellas Front, Carthage deploys her mighty navy made even more powerful by Ptolemaic triremes to capture almost the entirety of Roman port towns in the Tyrhhenian Sea. Numidian cavalry were landed on the beaches of Italy and began their vaunted raiding tactics, tying up Roman forces and effectively neutering their involvement into Hellas.
    The Caspian Offensive: Thanks to their cavalry-heavy armies, the Hayastan-Parthian coalition utilized blitzkrieg tactics two millenium early and began carving their way towards Mesopotamia. With their forces tied up in the bloody Syrian Front, the Seleucids have to rely on their Baktrian satrap to defend the heartlands of Alexander's empire. A Hayastan-Parthian victory is near-guaranteed, but what a fine wrestling field the conquered Seleucid lands would leave for the two eastern factions...

How's this for the prelude to WW0? Admittedly this is pretty similar to how things play out in-game, the differences resulting from more human-like maneuvers by factions. I'll revise this further after work.

Hoo boy, the Punic Wars and Wars of the Diadochi were exciting enough. The Ancient World going up like a powder keg'd be a sight to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    How's this for the prelude to WW0? Admittedly this is pretty similar to how things play out in-game, the differences resulting from more human-like maneuvers by factions. I'll revise this further after work.

It's a good, comprehensive setup for the war. I do have a few caveats for some predictions based on my own playthroughs and strategies.

Based off of my own experience as the Ptolemaioi and Hayastan, I'd say it'd take a lot more money than the Ptolemaioi start with to get the Yervanduni to declare war on the Seleukidai. With the manpower starting Hayastan has, they could only reasonably expect to annex two regions, and they'd have to assume that they had superior tactics to be able to hold those two provinces against Seleukid reinforcements. Presumably we're relying on the ingame stats a lot more here, so the Yervanduni would likely only declare for the Ptolemaioi in a scenario where the Seleukidai are losing ground.

The SPQR player would likely seek to expand into Hellas for income, but would prioritize Qarthadastim lands, as the shared W.Mediterranean culture makes for easier incorporation. Were I her/him, I would also want to build up Italia's ports to avoid the scenario you describe for the Qarthadastim front (and also to build War Fleets so the Legiones aren't lost at sea.) Going for Syrakousai might be the trigger for drawing SPQR and Qarthadast deeper into the wider war.

The Iberians can be roped in to attack the Qarthadastim, and the Boioi can be roped in to attack SPQR. Aside from that I don't know how the other "Barbarian" factions would get involved in WW0.

I predict the Seleukid coalition would fall apart rapidly and catastrophically in short order, especially in the east. With their current standing as the most powerful player in the game in the beginning, the other players will want to bring a Seleukid player down to size, none more so than the easternmost players of Baktria, Pahlava, and Taksashila. The Seleukides don't have much competition in the east aside from these three, the worst case scenario for them is a decisive Seleukid victory in the west, which would allow them to lock down the east and their ability to expand. Seleukid garrisons in the east are sparse and lacks Hellenic manpower, making them tempting targets. There's room for this plan to go off the rails, but several parties have an interest in the formation of an Eastern Triumvirate that will blitz the Seleukid east.

Quote Originally Posted by BailianSteel View Post

Based off of my own experience as the Ptolemaioi and Hayastan, I'd say it'd take a lot more money than the Ptolemaioi start with to get the Yervanduni to declare war on the Seleukidai. With the manpower starting Hayastan has, they could only reasonably expect to annex two regions, and they'd have to assume that they had superior tactics to be able to hold those two provinces against Seleukid reinforcements. Presumably we're relying on the ingame stats a lot more here, so the Yervanduni would likely only declare for the Ptolemaioi in a scenario where the Seleukidai are losing ground.
    Sure thing. I'll edit to make it seem like the Yervanduni dynasty will attempt to stay neutral unless the Seleucids begin losing ground. When that happens the true loyalty of the Yervanduni will show: will they aid their overlords or would they go so far as to strike down the wounded grey beast?

The SPQR player would likely seek to expand into Hellas for income, but would prioritize Qarthadastim lands, as the shared W.Mediterranean culture makes for easier incorporation. Were I her/him, I would also want to build up Italia's ports to avoid the scenario you describe for the Qarthadastim front (and also to build War Fleets so the Legiones aren't lost at sea.) Going for Syrakousai might be the trigger for drawing SPQR and Qarthadast deeper into the wider war.
    I just realized that by saying "factions make their moves as if controlled by a shrewd, calculating, but still somewhat flawed human player" I made it seem like the war is literally multiplayer EBII, down to for example the Roman player taking Carthage's W. Mediterranean Polities into account. You can have that to some degree, but a bit of historical roleplaying should take precedent. In that case Rome doesn't want to conquer, but rather stall Carthage while she punishes Epeiros.

The Iberians can be roped in to attack the Qarthadastim, and the Boioi can be roped in to attack SPQR. Aside from that I don't know how the other "Barbarian" factions would get involved in WW0.
    Yes to the Iberian raids. For the Boii raid we can go even further and write a second Celtic invasion of the Balkans. As celtic scouts and traders bring back news of their "civilized" neighbors waging a ruinous war, the great Gallic councils decided that the time for colonizing new lands is ripe. Hundreds of thousands celts from Gallic and Boii tribes descended upon the Mediterranean world. Some entered Cisalpine Gaul to the dismay of the Romans, others sought to plunder the rich and proud Hellenes, some even joined their Dnieper cousins and began raiding the periphery of Bosporan lands. Initially the migrating Gauls did not distinguish between the two warring international factions, but as their targets and grand strategy solidified they send emissaries to reap rich rewards for their allegiance. The Arverni and Aeudi would go on to ally themselves with the Carthaginians and raid north Italy, stretching Roman resources to the breaking point. The Boii meanwhile found the northern Antigonid borders a fruitful target, and promised to spare Koinon Hellenon and Epeirote lands. In summary, the three major Celtic factions ended up supporting the Ptolemaic Coalition, but merely out of convenience. The ramifications of their settling Roman and Hellenic lands could prove to be a destabilizing effect.

I predict the Seleukid coalition would fall apart rapidly and catastrophically in short order, especially in the east. With their current standing as the most powerful player in the game in the beginning, the other players will want to bring a Seleukid player down to size, none more so than the easternmost players of Baktria, Pahlava, and Taksashila. The Seleukides don't have much competition in the east aside from these three, the worst case scenario for them is a decisive Seleukid victory in the west, which would allow them to lock down the east and their ability to expand. Seleukid garrisons in the east are sparse and lacks Hellenic manpower, making them tempting targets. There's room for this plan to go off the rails, but several parties have an interest in the formation of an Eastern Triumvirate that will blitz the Seleukid east.
    Good point. Baktria has no love for the Seleucids if their starting campaign popup means anything. With no help against the Sakan raids, Baktria would take matters into her own hands and declare independence during the height of Seleucid turmoil. She will first fight off the Sakans, after which anything is possible...

Map of the Seleucid Coalition (light grey) and Ptolemaic Coalition (yellow). This is after some opening moves, which are:

- The Romans take Taras and Rhegium
    - The Antigonids take Pella
    - The Seleucids take Halicarnassos and Ephesos, and Ptolemais-Akko
    - The Epeirotes and Koinon Hellenon take Korinthos
    - The Bosporans unite Crimea.
    - The Gauls and Boii finished their migration into Cisalpine Gaul and Illyria, respectively
    Last edited by Shoebopp; August 15, 2020 at 09:36 PM.

D'oh. It took me nearly a week to see this post. I blame video games.

Sure thing. I'll edit to make it seem like the Yervanduni dynasty will attempt to stay neutral unless the Seleucids begin losing ground. When that happens the true loyalty of the Yervanduni will show: will they aid their overlords or would they go so far as to strike down the wounded grey beast?
    Now that's one hell of a Chekhov's Lithobolos. Naturally the Yervanduni wouldn't be sitting still with all this fighting, but the question is where will they try to expand? If they're playing it safe they'll head to Pokyr Hayk to the West, as the descriptions indicate Hayastan has deep ties there. If they're feeling bold then they might try and take down the Seleukid watchdog of Kartli to the north.

I just realized that by saying "factions make their moves as if controlled by a shrewd, calculating, but still somewhat flawed human player" I made it seem like the war is literally multiplayer EBII, down to for example the Roman player taking Carthage's W. Mediterranean Polities into account. You can have that to some degree, but a bit of historical roleplaying should take precedent. In that case Rome doesn't want to conquer, but rather stall Carthage while she punishes Epeiros.
    Fair enough. W.Mediterranean culture in itself is probably an abstraction that the EBII team would do away with if it wasn't for the hardcoded limits on culture slots. If SPQR is attacking Epeiros though, they've made a conscious choice to be a player in the greater Mediterranean world. Given that the Punic Wars only happened a decade after EBII's start date, they might still be able to ramp up . After the Galatians I don't think any of the Hellenes would look kindly on Roma's entry into Hellas proper. A complete alliance between the three big competitors to fight the Romans may be too much to ask, but a brief ceasefire while Pyrhhos and KH move to fight them might not be out of the question.

What about powers that were historically significant, but couldn't fit in as a faction in the game, such as Syrakousai?

Good point. Baktria has no love for the Seleucids if their starting campaign popup means anything. With no help against the Sakan raids, Baktria would take matters into her own hands and declare independence during the height of Seleucid turmoil. She will first fight off the Sakans, after which anything is possible...
    It also helps that the Seleukids would have trouble exerting their authority that far east, both in history and in game.

Re: the Eastern coalition, the Mauryans might be a bit of an elephant in the room in this scenario. Once the reports start flooding in from Egyptian and Seleukid traders about the war and it's magnitude, they might be spooked enough to try and divide-and-conquer the Seleukid east. On the other hand, the Taksashila Uparaja's desire for independence can work to the Seleukid's advantage. If the Seleukids can grant the Taksashila military aid and political recognition, they may be able to hold onto the southern chunk of the Upper Satrapies.

Let's say Hayastan begins by subduing the Kartvelian tattletales. The Seleucids formally declare war, but could not do much due to their overstretched resources. So, as Hayastan moves on to other targets and its territory grows, the Yervandunis must make a decision: once they've swallowed up independent kingdoms not under Seleucid stewardship, will they sue for peace, or ride the momentum to even greater conquests? In either case they will be maintaining communications with their Dahaean neighbors; loose-lipped traders around the Caspian Sea speak of the second coming of the Achaemenid Empire...

As for your second point, it's actually the Antigonids vs Epeiros and Koinon Hellenon. Pyrrhus has declared himself the future savior of the independent Greek city states, and, with Carthaginian and Ptolemaic backing, easily has the resources that he did not have in the past. Smaller players in the Mediterranean that did not make the EBII roster, such as Syrakousai, Massalia, and Illyria are assumed to remain completely neutral. Let's say they're wise enough to not involve themselves in a destructive world war, even at the opportunity cost of lapping up a stray region or two.

Regarding the far eastern front, the Seleucids are forced to take a huge risk and send substantial military aid to the Taksashilans. This will be enough to overthrow their Mauryan overlords and grant them independence. Hopefully this gesture will gain their fealty, but only time will tell...

Now, for the first three chapters of WW0. It's open for suggestions:

Prelude

Antiochos Seleukides easily repels Menelaos Ptolemaiou in the Battle of Damascos. Olympikhos Alindeus defeats and kills Ptolemaios Ptolemaiou's golden child during the Relief of Ephesos. Seleukos Seleukides quells a rebellion in Seleukia. Alexandros Pelopos defects to the Seleucids along with his army. The Ptolemy dynasty now faces complete eradication.

Barcid faction their assassinate political rivals Gisqo, Hannibaal, and Hamelqart. Hanno rises to become the Other Leading Man.

Pyrrhos changes his mind (again) and calls off the siege of Sparta. He makes peace with the relieved Spartans, Athenians, and Rhodians.

Bosphoran king visits the Oracle of Delphi and receives a terrifying prophecy involving a future Basileus of Pontos.

Celtic population growth spirals out of control due to advanced agricultural practices that mysteriously spread throughout western Europe centuries before.

Marcvs loses the entire northern active force trying to pacify the Cisalpine Gauls, but Manivs manages to conquer Taras and punish Rhegium. Roman grand strategy as a result shifts from the hellzone that is Cisalpine Gaul to the lands of their old enemy, Epeiros.

Entanglement

Due to rising Seleucid prominence, the Attalids, Mithridates, and Antigonids reaffirm their fealty. They pledge troops, money, and supplies to the Seleucid cause. The Ptolemies now face an international alliance never before seen, and the Seleucid Coalition believes that the destruction of the Ptolemaic dynasty and the acquisition of Egypt is near.

The Ptolemies successfully convince the legendary Pyrrhus to liberate Hellas for the good of the Koinon Hellenon, the Barcids led by Hanno to lend (rather overkill) naval aid, and the Nabataeans to supply horse-archers.

Hayastan begin gobbling up Caucasian kingdoms one after the other, starting with Kartli, forcing the Seleucids to declare war on their disobedient satrap. Naturally as a result the Yervandunis declares itself an ally of the Ptolemies, and begins to strengthen political bonds with the Dahaeans led by Arshak.

Pairisades declare Bosphoros allies of the Ptolemies in order to crush the Pontic threat before Pontus realizes their destiny.

Manivs acquires consulship and turn the full military might of Roma towards wiping Epeiros off the face of the Earth. Pyrrhus cannot divert forces to defending Epeiros, so he sends a messenger to grovel at the political assembly of Qart Hadast and beg forgiveness as well as relay to them an interesting opportunity to fulfill their Barcid political goals. Carthage becomes even more entangled in the Ptolemaic cause, as they assemble Massylian, Celtiberian, and Leusitanian mercenaries for a potential invasion of Rome.

The Aedui, Arverni, and Boii councils decided to solve their population crises through migration. The two great Gallic tribes led by Aeduian King Cocolitanos joined their Cisalpine brethren fresh off a victory against the Romans while the Boii led by Brennos pillaged their way towards the northern Antigonid borders. They promised to spare lands belonging to the Ptolemaic Coalition only after being offered vast klereuchs and riches.

Antiochos Seleukides sends military aid to the Taksashilan satrap Susima Maurya, enough to overthrow the Mauryan garrison. Susima seemingly pledges allegiance to the Seleucid cause.

Demetrios Diodotou, satrap of Baktria, severs relations with the Seleucids who are so preoccupied with western matters that they have failed to lend aid against the Sakans for the fourth consecutive year. The Seleucids do not pursue war, but are nonetheless offended by this gesture.

Antigonos Antigonides personally visits the court of Zalmodegikos, a rising Getic Tolisbostoii, and successfully plants seeds of panic of a second Gallic invasion in the budding king's mind. Antigonos did not realize that his lie was coincidentally backed by reality, but in any case he managed to point the Getic spear towards the West.

Strategy

Ptolemaic Coalition

Grand Strategy: Grind down the Seleucids in multiple fronts of war until they sue for peace

Ptolemaios Ptolemaiou has completely lost control of his own remaining forces, but could rely on his Nabataean allies to wage guerilla warfare in the vast deserts of Syria. The goal is to delay, not defeat, the impending Seleucid steamroller until the campaign objectives can be realized. He will personally lead the remainder of Ptolemaic troops in this irregular warfare.

Hanno, upon realizing the unbreakable Roman resolve and innumerable Roman forces, decides to drain the beast of its life rather than challenge it in battle. The Barcid navy will capture every Roman port town, which will be used as bases of operation for Iberian guerillas and Numidian raiders to raze the countryside.

The Ptolemies and Barcids will enforce a stranglehold on the Mediterranean. Trade may flow only with their permission while they themselves ship troops and supplies around with impunity

Pairisades will utilize any means necessary to transport his allied Scythian cavalry and newfangled Thureopherontes Hippotoxotai to the Hellas front. The shock cavalry and horse archers, whom the Seleucid Coalition based in Sardeis are ill-prepared to fight, could tip the balance.

Pyrrhus is given a free-hand to conduct his Hellas liberation campaign as he sees fit.

The Yervandunis, coordinating with Pairisades and Arshak, is supposed to divert Seleucid attention away from Syria and Hellas by opening up new fronts in the Caucasus.

The Gauls are already in the process of bolstering their Cisalpine brethren and will invade the Roman Republic, encountering and merging with any Barcid raiders along the way

The Boii will cascade into Pella from the north, where their promised klereuch will be located.

Seleucid Coalition

Grand Strategy: eliminate what little Ptolemaic authority remains by marching into Alexandreia. Grow international Seleucid authority by defending the realms of its allies.

Antiochos Seleukides will march his royal army down the Syrian coastline to root out the Ptolemies.

Susima Maurya will reinforce the eastern satrapies with his Indian army to discourage interference.

Eumenes, upon ascending the throne, devises the Hellespont Lifeline doctrine, which calls for all available Pergamene, Pontic, and Antigonid ships to evacuate to and fortify the Hellespont. This allows the combined Pergamene, Pontic, and Seleucid forces in Anatolia to ship troops across the narrow straits, which the numerically inferior Seleucid Coalition's navy could defend against the vast Ptolemaic Coalition's armada. Only through the Hellespont could the military might of the Seleucid Coalition be delivered into Hellas to fight off Pyrrhus.

Marivs immediately cancels the invasion of Epeiros upon learning of the Carthaginian betrayal and the Gallic migration and declares martial law. The 400,000 man-strong Roman standing force, augmented by uncountable numbers of panicked but stalwart civilians, will defend Italy against to the last man, woman, and child.

Let's say Hayastan begins by subduing the Kartvelian tattletales. The Seleucids formally declare war, but could not do much due to their overstretched resources. So, as Hayastan moves on to other targets and its territory grows, the Yervandunis must make a decision: once they've swallowed up independent kingdoms not under Seleucid stewardship, will they sue for peace, or ride the momentum to even greater conquests? In either case they will be maintaining communications with their Dahaean neighbors; loose-lipped traders around the Caspian Sea speak of the second coming of the Achaemenid Empire...
    Sounds good!

As for your second point, it's actually the Antigonids vs Epeiros and Koinon Hellenon. Pyrrhus has declared himself the future savior of the independent Greek city states, and, with Carthaginian and Ptolemaic backing, easily has the resources that he did not have in the past. Smaller players in the Mediterranean that did not make the EBII roster, such as Syrakousai, Massalia, and Illyria are assumed to remain completely neutral. Let's say they're wise enough to not involve themselves in a destructive world war, even at the opportunity cost of lapping up a stray region or two.
    The thing is that the backing of the various Basileu and the loyalties of Poleis has traditionally been fickle. If the Romani move to attack Epeiros itself Pyrrhos will definitely prioritize defending it. If he loses Epeiros then he'll essentially be dependent on the good graces of the Poleis and his rivals, both of which have historically proven to be wanting. However, given how unstable the situation in Hellas was at the time, he might be able to drive Gonatas out of Thessalia before the Romani can arrive, especially with how the Keltoi and Qarthadastim are bearing down on Italy. That should give him and KH breathing room to defend Epeiros.

Now, for the first three chapters of WW0. It's open for suggestions:
    With the combined resources of Pyrrhos and Koinon Hellenon, plus funding from Qarthadast and Aigyptos, I don't think Gonatas will last very long. The loss of Korinthos is certain, and I'd wager Thessalia would fall soon too. Gonatas' only hope is to hold out in Pella until a combined Pergamene/Seleukid Anatolia force arrives to bail him out. Even then, with Pyrrhos/KH dominating Heavy Infantry Central, it's likely they'll win out in the end. Gonatas might make it out by promising peace with disarmament and payments to Pyrrhos/KH.

I agree that Ptolemaic Syria would be overwhelmed and lost, however Aigyptos itself would probably be a tougher nut to crack. Perdiccas, despite being the regent of Makedon at the time, had quite a bit of trouble in his invasion of Aigyptos. Though they're not in the game, I believe there were fortresses such as Gaza that needed to be taken before a proper seige of the Ptolemaic core can begin.

On a side note, a Seleukid blockade of the Hellespont would cut off the Bosporos from most of it's customers wouldn't it? That'd also provide an economic incentive for them to go pro-Ptolemy.
    Last edited by BailianSteel; August 26, 2020 at 09:01 AM.

Sounds good!

The thing is that the backing of the various Basileu and the loyalties of Poleis has traditionally been fickle. If the Romani move to attack Epeiros itself Pyrrhos will definitely prioritize defending it. If he loses Epeiros then he'll essentially be dependent on the good graces of the Poleis and his rivals, both of which have historically proven to be wanting. However, given how unstable the situation in Hellas was at the time, he might be able to drive Gonatas out of Thessalia before the Romani can arrive, especially with how the Keltoi and Qarthadastim are bearing down on Italy. That should give him and KH breathing room to defend Epeiros.

With the combined resources of Pyrrhos and Koinon Hellenon, plus funding from Qarthadast and Aigyptos, I don't think Gonatas will last very long. The loss of Korinthos is certain, and I'd wager Thessalia would fall soon too. Gonatas' only hope is to hold out in Pella until a combined Pergamene/Seleukid Anatolia force arrives to bail him out. Even then, with Pyrrhos/KH dominating Heavy Infantry Central, it's likely they'll win out in the end. Gonatas might make it out by promising peace with disarmament and payments to Pyrrhos/KH.

I agree that Ptolemaic Syria would be overwhelmed and lost, however Aigyptos itself would probably be a tougher nut to crack. Perdiccas, despite being the regent of Makedon at the time, had quite a bit of trouble in his invasion of Aigyptos. Though they're not in the game, I believe there were fortresses such as Gaza that needed to be taken before a proper seige of the Ptolemaic core can begin.

On a side note, a Seleukid blockade of the Hellespont would cut off the Bosporos from most of it's customers wouldn't it? That'd also provide an economic incentive for them to go pro-Ptolemy.
    Good point about the unreliability of Pyrrhus's "allies". They only see Pyrrhus as a useful tool to be disposed of once utilized. Maybe after he subdues the Antigonids Pyrrhus will be found dead with 37 self-inflicted spear wounds...

Gonatas definitely is in a tough spot. He still has a large army garrisoning Pella after the initial opening moves. The Hellespont Lifeline doctrine will ensure that the vast combined Seleucid, Pergamene, and Pontic forces arrive in time.

Bosphoros has already allied itself with the Ptolemies due to a bit of fantastical writing on my part. Pairisades has just returned from a visit to the Oracle at Delphi and shared a terrifying prophecy that one day a Basileus of Pontos will conquer the Crimean Peninsula. Your reason is much more realistic - I think it's better if yours become canon

Good point about the unreliability of Pyrrhus's "allies". They only see Pyrrhus as a useful tool to be disposed of once utilized. Maybe after he subdues the Antigonids Pyrrhus will be found dead with 37 self-inflicted spear wounds...
    That's why Pyrrhos has got to hang onto Epeiros, so his somatophylax is staffed with countrymen that'd be relatively loyal.

Gonatas definitely is in a tough spot. He still has a large army garrisoning Pella after the initial opening moves. The Hellespont Lifeline doctrine will ensure that the vast combined Seleucid, Pergamene, and Pontic forces arrive in time.
    With the greater Seleukid Anatolian Coaltion arriving in Hellas, we can assume that Koinon Hellenon will be on their toes and willing to cede command and resources to Pyrrhos. Given Ptolemaic dominance of the sea, I assume the SAC will be crossing the Hellespont and reinforcing Pella from the land route to the east. That should allow Pyrrhos and KH to draw a defensive line in the mountains between Makedon proper and Thessalia. Depending on when news of the Roman threat would arrive, Pyrrhos might actually hunker down for once.

I'd imagine the Attalides and Pharnakides are still hunkering for land, they might insist on taking land on the Hellespont while they're mobilized...

Bosphoros has already allied itself with the Ptolemies due to a bit of fantastical writing on my part. Pairisades has just returned from a visit to the Oracle at Delphi and shared a terrifying prophecy that one day a Basileus of Pontos will conquer the Crimean Peninsula. Your reason is much more realistic - I think it's better if yours become canon
    There's no need for these reasons to be mutually exclusive. Hannibal had plenty of reasons to fight SPQR on it's own, but ancient historians saw fit to add his famous Trojan Destiny Oath. We can just have the trip to Delphi be the reason why Pairisades was preparing for war and making political overtures, and the blockade is what causes the Bosporos to mobilize fully for the war effort.

I started a new thread at https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...6#post15950326 to continue this writing exercise.

The linked thread has produced several chapters. Just want you all to go take a look. See if you all could find the references to EBII game mechanics in these historical fiction chapters!