Thread: When do you use the battle autoresolve option?

Default When do you use the battle autoresolve option?

In my case I'd recommend it only if the prediction of probability of winning is very high and that you'll keep at least 95% of your army. Don't do it if the prediction is below 95% ( and worst if most of your army has inexperienced military units ). For example I saw some youtubers playing Rome 2 Total War using the autoresolve option even when the prediction said that they'll keep about 50 % of their army after the battle. Not a good idea in my opinion because it doesn't always accurately happen as the prediction says. For example, when I was about to fight a battle I first checked the prediction: it said I'll win but that I'll keep about half of my army. I decided not to accept the automatic resolve. And it turned out to be a wise decision because I had less than 50% of losses after fighting the battle manually in the battlefield.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; August 12, 2020 at 12:49 PM.

Default Re: When do you use the battle autoresolve option?

Whenever I don't have cavalry or elephants in my army, because they eat up all the casualties.

It really depends on if I'm pressed for time, if I don't need to wipe out the opposing army in one go, and if (like you said) I'm not going to lose a substantial part of my army.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I use when I've defeated the enemy army once and it seems like a waste of time to deploy my army again just to defeat a handful of depleted enemy units who survived the battle. I also use it when a city battle is so one-sided that there's no hope of victory, or no fear of defeat (such as an enemy full stack attacking my small garrison, or two of my veteran armies of high-tier units attacking an enemy cityh with only a garrison). It varies - sometimes I don't use it because I want to see what will happen next in the battles, sometimes I use it because I want to see what will happen next in the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I use when I've defeated the enemy army once and it seems like a waste of time to deploy my army again just to defeat a handful of depleted enemy units who survived the battle. I also use it when a city battle is so one-sided that there's no hope of victory, or no fear of defeat (such as an enemy full stack attacking my small garrison, or two of my veteran armies of high-tier units attacking an enemy cityh with only a garrison). It varies - sometimes I don't use it because I want to see what will happen next in the battles, sometimes I use it because I want to see what will happen next in the campaign.
    In my case I would still fight the battle even if the prediction gives me no chance at all just to cause the enemy army as many losses as possible so that it is a bit easier to beat it with an army I bring later to finish them off. You're right that in certain occasions you shouldn't be afraid of losing a city. You can regain it later.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; August 15, 2020 at 09:51 AM.

I use when I've defeated the enemy army once and it seems like a waste of time to deploy my army again just to defeat a handful of depleted enemy units who survived the battle
    That's why I'd recommend not to end the battle yet when the victory is declared for you. Chase all the fleeing enemy units and never let the general escape alive ( if he's still alive when the victory is declared to you )

Grimmy's Avatar Ordinarius

Every turn in every situation.

I've turned TWR2 into a big ol' game of Risk!

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Very rarely. One of the reasons I play Total War is the battles, so I fight almost all battles manually. Even when I know the odds are stacked against me and defeat is assured I'll still usually fight because I can often inflict greater casualties than autoresolve would, plus it gives me a chance to try out new tactics and use units in unconventional ways. I may lose the battle, but the damage I do may help to win the war, and occasionally I may even squeak a win when the autoresolve is certain I'll lose.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Disadvantages or dangers of autoresolving a battle:

- When your best units or your cavalry units or your elephants are nearly depleted: autoresolving could make you lose them even if the prediction is too high on your side. It is better in this case to manually fight the battle by just keeping your best units out of the battle.
    - Sometimes an autoresolved battle doesn't kill the enemy general or it doesn't wipe out the army. And thus, you have to chase the fleeing army on the map after that. And this is what you won't want to do specially if there are other important or urgent things to do ( like taking a city as soon as you can, etc )
    - Getting many casualties unnecessarily: sometimes the prediction is wrong ( let's say it says you'll win but by losing about 50% of your army ). And probably if you fight it manually, you'll lose less than that.

You're actually better off damaging and not killing off the enemy general if other units survive. If you kill their general, the stack just gets a brand new one at full strength.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    You're actually better off damaging and not killing off the enemy general if other units survive. If you kill their general, the stack just gets a brand new one at full strength.
    Lol that looks like another way the AI cheats

It's not really cheating, it's just a consequence of the game mechanics. You can't have an army without a general, so any killed general gets automatically replaced. The same thing would happen to your own army.

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Auto resolve should only be allowed IF you have a 75% or more of winning otherwise it is a cheat. In any case you can auto resolve every battle and win so not much point in play these games as the battles suck. Play Paradox for better campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    Auto resolve should only be allowed IF you have a 75% or more of winning otherwise it is a cheat. In any case you can auto resolve every battle and win so not much point in play these games as the battles suck. Play Paradox for better campaign.
    I'd recommend autoresolving if your chances of winning is from 90% and up and if you don't have elephants or cavalry units a bit depleted or strong melee infantry units almost depleted. You might lose them in the autoresolve.

But however, a campaign where all or most of the battles are autoresolved sucks in my opinion because it lacks the action and excitement of battles. And as you say, I agree that autoresolving a battle even when the odds of winning are not very high ( let's say 50% ) is more or less like cheating. And cowardice as well.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; April 10, 2022 at 09:58 PM.