Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Havent played a total war game in years, whats wrong with me

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Default Havent played a total war game in years, whats wrong with me

Ok so here is the thing. I cant remember when was the last time that i played a total war game. Honestly. The last game i bought was Warhammer1. Since then i didnt even play mods. I find myself more and more unwilling to even start any total war game, in favour of mount and blade, ck2, eu4, stellaris, or something else.

I have a mod for m2tw that im developing, but i havent even played that mod for anything else than testing if things work. Sometimes i think that i dont know what im doing. Sometimes i think i should just quit it altogether and forget about total war, twc, all that. Sometimes i think im just wasting my time. Then when i want to start a game for some fun, i dont play a total war title.

Did anyone have a similar problem?

Can you give me any advice, what would you do?

Thanks

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Havent played a total war game in years, whats wrong with me

Games should be fun and relax, not chore and pain. So what I often do, I switch games. A few days play this a few days that... put up aim like achievement or doing one scenario, progress in RPG and once it is not fun anymore, move to other.

I have all TWS and realized that from time to time I would like to play older ones like Napoleon, Empire for change. Or ToB (Troy in Future)...But I try various other games like Age of Empires 1+2 definitive edition, Frostpunk, Banished

So if you need to move away for a few months even year, who cares? Do what you like and I´m sure sooner or later you will miss TWs and come back and if not. Who cares it is your life, have fun!

EDIT: For example not many know it, but I play a lot Mechwarrior online, even has one World Champ title (haha I was in team 12man team but only 8 played, the last 4..we were backup ) And despite being in top 1% and despite having a few thousand hours in that game, I left the game at least twice for half plus year. Because it is better to have break then burn out
    Last edited by Daruwind; August 11, 2020 at 09:07 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post

I do play only MOS for TATW every once in a while, I didn't even bothered to buy Rome 2, imagine.. I do came to TWC because of Med2 Mods and I still play them (I downloaded both SSHIP from Lifth and your mod Vlad, but I still need to find the time to play them, if I'll ever can )

Thanks
    this is probably a question more suited for the PH&A, but well since I'm here .. Just enjoy mate, what else? You don't have to do anything because you have to, but because you want to, this is valid here at TWC as anywhere else IRL. However, TWC is a big community with much to do, and I think you are realizing it now that are roaming more around the various corners, so just find your place here and enjoy the community. I came here because of TATW, remained because of the PH&A.. I've been a Moderator, a Content Staffer, a Content Director, Content Hex, Modding Staff Hex.. I worked in Gaming and I'm today the Awards and Competition Hex etc etc (I basically served in any staff department minus the Technical one, and that was a bless for the site, believe me ), I participated in the Curia, set up the PotF and the TGC, worked on the blogs and created an award for them..
    Anyways, the concept here is simply.. stay and contribute if you like the idea of being part of a large community made by people from all over the world: there's lot you can do and you can learn for yourself
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I'm a very casual gamer myself (approximately 4 hours per week), so I'm not sure if my experience counts. For example, finishing campaigns takes me very long, sometimes even six months! Anyway, what I do is alternating between one Total War game and another genre. Don't imagine any huge variety, besides Total War, I only play Elder Scrolls, Harry Potter, Max Payne and Grand Theft Auto. I have also separated the Total War games I play into two categories: Melee (Rome I and Medieval II) and gunpowder (Napoleon, Empire and extremely rarely Fall of the Samurais). Mods are also a necessary addition, because frankly I can't stand the vanilla versions anymore, despite not being a hardcore Europa Barbarorum radical! So, for example, what I did last year was firstly completing a huge campaign in Stainless Steel as the Kingdom of France.

Then, I relaxed a bit, playing as the Mayas in the Americas expansion and a bit of Max Payne 3. Then, I started a campaign as the Kingdom of France (a bit repetitive, I know) in Empire together with a new playthrough in Oblivion as a morally controversial High Elf. I finished Empire and am about to also complete Oblivion, so I'm now taking it easy playing as France -insert shocked expression- in the Peninsular War DLC pack. My future plans involve Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets together with a Sassanid campaign in Invasio Barbarorum. It may sound boring, but it has helped me maintain my interest, while I have not been tempted to buy another Total War game since 2013. As Napoleon or Lincoln or maybe Zoroaster said, moderation is the path to pleasure!

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

If it wasn't for a few M2 mods and quirky playstyles far beyond the intent of the game, I wouldn't be playing Total War literally at all for over half a decade. Otherwise the 'meta' of the community has been more intriguing. That said, even on this site I never really found a place. So the answer is really to keep looking or to move on. Either way, follow your interest. Quit for a while if that's where your heart is set, but call it a while, don't go 'I'm pitching it for good' - most of the people who claim that are simply wrong at best, and they come right back in when all they needed was a break. I will say that for the imaginative player, Total War has quite a bit to offer beyond its goals. But I'm weird, and that weirdness has kept me in the franchise.

Right now I'm not even playing for the Total War aspect and instead to bootleg the setting of a mod into a roleplay environment, because TW happens to define an awful lot while not stifling me with details.

I wouldn't develop a mod that no passion exists for, but if the answer is to drop it, at least see if someone can carry the reigns or open up the chance for that happen in the future. You could also simply drop it for now and come back when the spark comes up.

I probably need a break or some rest or something like that, thanks for all your comments guys.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Since mid March when our country had MCO, I'm finding my pc gaming time less and less. That's because when there's nothing to do I remembered that I have an electric guitar that I havent played in probably 20 years. 😅

Now I suddenly feel no longer intered in pc games anymore. I still play 3K occasionally though but never more than an hour. Downloaded Troy and played for a couple of hours on release day then pickup my guitar again. 😁

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Switch it up, play other games as well, not just TW.

Also - do a mix of both older and newer games, try out TW3K, get going with the awesome Attila mods... plenty to do.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Ok so here is the thing. I cant remember when was the last time that i played a total war game. Honestly. The last game i bought was Warhammer1. Since then i didnt even play mods. I find myself more and more unwilling to even start any total war game, in favour of mount and blade, ck2, eu4, stellaris, or something else.

I have a mod for m2tw that im developing, but i havent even played that mod for anything else than testing if things work
    . Sometimes i think that i dont know what im doing. Sometimes i think i should just quit it altogether and forget about total war, twc, all that. Sometimes i think im just wasting my time. Then when i want to start a game for some fun, i dont play a total war title.

Thanks
    Only Total War games I've been playing in recent years are Shogun2 and Three Kingdoms.

Which is somewhat unfortunate as I'm meant to be finishing our M2TW mod and every time I find an issue I have to fire up Bare-Geomod to check if it's an existing 'vanilla' problem or something I've managed to introduce

I have a mod for m2tw that im developing, but i havent even played that mod for anything else than testing if things work. Sometimes i think that i dont know what im doing. Sometimes i think i should just quit it altogether and forget about total war, twc, all that. Sometimes i think im just wasting my time. Then when i want to start a game for some fun, i dont play a total war title.

Thanks
    Heh, I understand you I also rarely play tw, the single game is already boring. However, I still play hotseats for M2TW, which is what keeps the interest very long. Especially hotseats with online battles(I only play these) Truly working diplomacy, unexpected actions of rivals. There are a lot of interesting things. Especially general battles or epic destruction of armies storming castles, gathering for several months. At the same time, online battles themselves are not interesting to me, for example, in tournaments. It is much more fun to collect your own army, maneuver it, etc. - after this already online battles are held with great enthusiasm.
    Another important part of such games is that they are very unhurried, depending on the rules of the campaign, the course lasts from two days to a week and there is time to carefully think over your actions, draw some kind of scheme, discuss it with your allies, etc.
    People always have been the foolish victims of deception and self-deception in politics, and they always will be, until they have learned to seek out the interests of some class or other behind all moral, religious, political and social phrases, declarations and promises
    medieval 2 total war engine overhaul project

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Sadly yes... That has happened to me, although I had a bit of fun with Troy TW (since it was free).

Honesty however, I think the problem is with gaming in general for me. The only game I really enjoy by this point is an ancient game from 2003. Here if you're curious https://store.steampowered.com/app/6..._Jedi_Academy/

Although it's so old it needs a mod to work online (otherwise the servers don't show up) called Eternaljk.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Mods, especially for the older games, make the older titles still appealing. I've been beta testing the Tsardoms TW mod and I've played over 6+ hours in the last 2 days testing it out.

So give mods a try.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

As a mod creator, I believe Vlad has explored that possibility.

Well, as a "mod creator" lets say, i have a rather skewed attitude to mods. Namely i feel guilt playing other mods, always thinking at such moments that my own mod is incomplete. So i avoid playing mods very often as a result. I think about it from time to time, but mostly never play.

Once more thank you all for sharing your perspective here guys!

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

I've always excused getting into other things despite working on something myself as market research, personally. Learn more of the essence you enjoy or don't and address it in your own content, and all that...

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Well, as a "mod creator" lets say, i have a rather skewed attitude to mods. Namely i feel guilt playing other mods, always thinking at such moments that my own mod is incomplete. So i avoid playing mods very often as a result. I think about it from time to time, but mostly never play.

Once more thank you all for sharing your perspective here guys!
    Ooh.. You're a modder. That explains it. 🤣

Thwre was a time when I didnt enjoy playing Total War games at all when I was heavily involved in modding. I always have this constant feel to stop playing after a few turns so that I can go into the files and change something here and there.

I almost never played RTW and M2TW except the earlier times when I didnt realized that mods and sites like this exist.

For me, to enjoy the games again I have decided to totally stop modding and enjoy the game for what it is, right when Attila came out. Uninstall all the modding tools and whetever mods existed on my pc and be done with it forever. 😅

Now, I truly enjoy playing Total War games (whenever I have a free time to play games anyway &#128513.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    I'm a very casual gamer myself (approximately 4 hours per week),

Are the Hex bleeding you dry of free time Abdulmecid?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

If you remember how it all started with the games, the golden games, since duke nukem, rome I to shogun 2, halflife 1 and 2, you have had a blast of a time. A time in which programmer new what made games fun and exciting! Bless yourself. The gaming industry has become so big and commercial that the games are dying, newer games are dead, litteraly, garbage. Better graphics is all they care about, they don't know and don't care if the games are enjoyable anymore, they only care about promotiing the games and selling them. CA, EA and other big brothers destroyed the gaming industry.
    Last edited by OpusDei; December 18, 2020 at 08:34 PM.

Do other stuff.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Since WH came out, I just haven't played the new TW games for long. I can't bear the thought of starting a WH or Troy campaign. I had a bit more luck with 3K but the battles don't really work and then they went full Dynasty Warriors mode with the DLC. CA has lost me for the foreseeable future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast