View Poll Results: Which character are you most looking forward to playing in Total War Saga: Troy?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Achilles, the mighty leader of the Myrmidons

7 25.00%
  • Aeneas, the son of Aphorodite and ruler of Dardania

2 7.14%
  • Agamemnon, the proud ruler of rich Mycenae

1 3.57%
  • Hector, the dutiful defender of Troy

7 25.00%
  • Menelaus, the husband of Helen, who ruled Sparta before it was cool

0 0%
  • Odysseus, the cunning and resourceful ruler of Ithaca

6 21.43%
  • Paris, the prince of Troy and lover of Helen

1 3.57%
  • Sarpedon, the son of Zeus and ruler of Lycia

1 3.57%
  • Penthesilea, the daughter of Ares and ruler of the Amazons

0 0%
  • Hippolyta, the sister of Penthesilea who later became a DC comics superhero

3 10.71%

Thread: Which character are you most looking forward to playing in Total War Saga: Troy?

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Which character are you most looking forward to playing in Total War Saga: Troy?

* Achilles, the mighty leader of the Myrmidons

* Aeneas, the son of Aphorodite and ruler of Dardania

* Agamemnon, the proud ruler of rich Mycenae

* Hector, the dutiful defender of Troy

* Menelaus, the husband of Helen, who ruled Sparta before it was cool

* Odysseus, the cunning and resourceful ruler of Ithaca

* Paris, the prince of Troy and lover of Helen

* Sarpedon, the son of Zeus and ruler of Lycia

* Penthesilea, the daughter of Ares and ruler of the Amazons

* Hippolyta, the sister of Penthesilea who later became a DC comics superhero
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 11, 2020 at 02:44 AM.

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Default Re: Which character are you most looking forward to playing in Total War Saga: Troy?

Im not looking forward to playing Total War Saga: Troy at all. Its not interesting to me. Theres no option for that answer.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which character are you most looking forward to playing in Total War Saga: Troy?

Achilles, who else?

The most bad-ass character in the whole human mythology
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Odysseus.

The bad luck that man had. Someone the Gods hate so much has done many great things. Also he was played by Sean Bean, what else do you need.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Odysseus.

The bad luck that man had. Someone the Gods hate so much has done many great things. Also he was played by Sean Bean, what else do you need.
    Odysseus didn't die at the end, so it's not the role for Sean Bean.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Odysseus didn't die at the end, so it's not the role for Sean Bean.
    A fatal error from the hiring bureau

While I like the guile and resourcefulness of Odysseus and the awesomeness of Achilles, when I watched the Troy film I sympathised with Hector - who was drawn unwillingly into a war to defend his city and who fought Achilles to defend his brother.
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 12, 2020 at 01:53 AM.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

No one, I registered Epic Account (with very awful anti Epic, pro Steam name ) just to farm free stuff on TW Access and I plan to wait till the game is on Steam. And I really hope CA plans allow cross store buy be reality soon so the Troy will be free for me upon arriving on Steam...

But If I had to pick, I would start with Odysseus or Hector. First one is intelligent and cunning and second is just trying to do the right stuff and defend his family, city...
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Sharpedon, because he has a great name. He reminds me of something sharp and hedonistic and also of sardonyx, which is a really beatiful mineral. His faction colours (turquoise, again a magnificent mineral), his starting position in Lycia and his reliance on exotic and oriental units (probably just some guys with Assyrian-style helmets and wigs) makes him a very attractive legendary lord to me.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I'm not sure I'm going to play Troy, as I dislike the hero-centred playstyle introduced by warhammer (been playing 3K in records mode exclusively), but if I had to choose it would be Odysseus: All the other greeks are stupid brutes (aiax), senile dodderers (nestor), arrogant fops (agamemmnon) or reckless egoists (achilles). All Troian "heros" are out of the question anyway. Illion must burn.1

1 Remember, if Illion does not burn, Aeneas does not set out and never founds Rome, so you wouldn't have gotten to play Rome I2 in the first place.

2(Yay, 2nd-order-footnotes!) Then again, had Rome never been founded, you wouldn't have had to endure the mess that was Rome II, so maybe the scales are balanced?
    Last edited by Iskar; August 12, 2020 at 04:44 PM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Penthesilea, if i wouldn't dislike the exclusivity on Epic.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

You had me with Marvel comics

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

No idea, so I went with Hippolyta as playing Amazonians would be a bit of a change. But haven't actually played it yet, so no idea who I'll really pick. My internet is being a pain in the whatsit and I'm not really in the mood for trying a new game right now anyway so claimed it but sticking with some of my regular games right now... Yes that includes Rome 2, why do you ask?

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Achilles. Because I'm a normie, I guess. Anyway, people, if you're not playing the game, there's no need to announce that in this thread. Just don't play it and that's it.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I am chomping at the bit to play my Marvel Avenger, but I guess in the meantime Hector will have to do
    That brother of his is a sneaky bugger when it comes to get daddy's affection...

I'm curious... have any of you actually played the character you picked yet? And if so, how did it go?

Yes, I've been playing as Hector and I'm enjoying it so far.

My first attempt didn't go well. Hector led an army to attack a faction on an island south of his starting position (on the south coast of Anatolia), where two cities are held by an enemy faction. I took one of them and foolishly left it unguarded while marching to attack the second. The enemy promptly attacked the first city and razed it, leaving me in possession of only their second city. After that, I found myself at war with two factions to the east of my starting position, each of which had expanded and was about equal in size to Hector's faction.

My second attempt is going better. After being raided by a faction from the north, Hector took one of their cities, instead of going south to attack the enemy on the island. In my first play-through, I found that while Hector's melee infantry are decent, his javelin skirmishers tend to be outclassed by enemies. So, in my second campaign, I constructed the buidings needed to recruit better skirmishers (slingers and archers) before marching north.

Other players have reported that the game can be exploited (for example by getting resources through diplomacy and by using chariots for cheesy victories) but so far I'm finding that it's an enjoyable challenge. It's challenging partly because I have no cavalry (they're rare in this period), so I can't use my usual way of countering skirmishers and partly because I can't afford a second army yet and the AI factions are quite good at expanding.

Hector has a faction mechanic where he competes with his brother Paris for the favour of King Priam - in some ways it feels a bit like playing as a Roman faction in Rome: Total War, where you're allied with the other Roman factions but you're rivals as well. As Hector, I've just recruited my first mythological character - an armoured giant (represented in the game as an exceptionally large and powerful human warrior, not a beast - if you've seen the film Troy, similar to Achilles' opponent in the opening scenes). I haven't used him in battle yet, I'm looking forward to seeing him in action.
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 31, 2020 at 10:40 AM.