View Poll Results: Should we elect candidate Dick Cheney to the Curia?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

16 94.12%
  • No.

0 0%
  • Abstain.

1 5.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [CIVITATE]Dick Cheney. (Patron: Flinn)

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default [CIVITATE]Dick Cheney. (Patron: Flinn)

my bit
    Hello there fellow Citizens, it's with the uttermost pleasure that today I'm sponsoring Ex Vice-president Dick Cheney. I first noticed the old man while running the Post of the Fortnight competition (in case you don't know that Competition, just click here and enjoy), where he distinguished for being the first ever to accumulate enough points to win a medal, not long after 6 months that we started that competition.

As Aexodus said, it was a...

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Nice one Dick
    I myself often nominated his posts and certainly I voted for him many times, impressed by the quality and clarity of his posts; if I have to think of someone who incarnates well the concept of Quality over Quantity, then this is our beloved Ex Vice-president, who tends to post only when he has something smart and well detailed to say.
    Dick is my very first client who's a debater, and it's not a case if you ask me.. while I'm not a debater myself, I'm a reader and I read a lot of the D&D, and in particular of the VV, when I started to nominate people for the PotF.. I always read Dick's posts every time I spot them, even if I don't always nominate them.

Recently he was awarded with the Scriptorium medal for his quality works that have been added to their repository, an important award and recognition by itself.

Honestly there's isn't much to add ATM, I'll leave the ball to Dick and the fellow citizen dudes that accepted to sponsor him together with me.

Applicant's bit
    Dear Members of the Curia,

I feel honored to submit to you my application for citizenship.

Like many of you here, I first found TWC through the Total War games, but continue to find TWC as my go to place for history, politics, the arts, current events, and entertainment. TWC has always had a vibrant and rich community of intellectuals and diverse views, and I very much enjoy participating in a community that has included many members -from around the world I might add- with similar interests to those which I am passionate about.

I am most active in the Vestigia Vetustatis, one of the best places for history on the net. There, I practice writing and research by creating threads and being critiqued in turned. It always feels great to compete for the Post of the Fortnight and to read the intelligent posts of other members. I very much enjoy contributing to TWC and adding to the historical discussions here whenever I can.

Some of my postings have included:

How to Win a Nuclear War (According to Herman Kahn)
    Defeating the Swarm - Observations from Kambula
    What was the Schlieffen Plan?
    Napoleon's Grand Battery: Desperation or Tactical Revolution?
    Kulturkampf: Bismarck vs. Papal Infallibility
    Did Hitler know better than his generals?
    Who was Alcibiades?
    Did Caesar win the Battle of Pharsalus? Or did Pompey lose it?
    The Best Read Presidents

As my namesake implies, I am a very principled conservative. I make no apologies for advocating on behalf of war and the Total War community. This site rocks.

Respectfully,
    Dick Cheney.

Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica
    Dick Cheney is a quality candidate for citizenship, as evidenced by his scholarly work and post history, several of which have been unanimously ratified for admission to the Scriptorium. His candidacy is, if anything, overdue, and serves as recognition for his existing and future contributions.

- Legio_Italica
    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus
    I first noticed Dick while running the POTF in 2018. In fact, I noticed him a lot because of how much other users nominated him, in a contest where on can not nominate themselves. He won several times, winning the bronze medal. His posts in the VV and elsewhere are always worth a read, and overall I think his contributions deserve my recommendation for citizenship. He has my vote easily!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix
    One of the most insightful members of the Vestigia Vetustatis sub-forum is Dick Cheney, a well-rounded individual who can converse on a wide range of historical topics spanning antiquity into the modern era. He can be found posting in most of the 'what if' historical threads where he makes excellent contributions. He always engages with other forum members in a polite, respectful manner even when he completely disagrees. He is certainly someone deserving of this award.

An her we are, I'd say promote the old man into the Curia and let him later regret that!

Spoiler for Berlusconi approves this fine candidate!

Flinn,
    of the Church of
    The Latter Day Dude
    Last edited by Flinn; August 10, 2020 at 08:59 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Default Re: [CIVITATE]Dick Cheney. (Patron: Flinn)

Dick Cheney is one of the best regulars in the Vestigia Vetustatis. His exhaustive analyses of military matters always challenge the dominant narrative, in a very informative, well-thought and convincing manner. He's a great poster and an invaluable asset to the community. God bless Cheney's America!

Spoiler for Be warned, the video contains quite a few naughty words

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Motion carried. Just had a very pleasant read skimming through his posts.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Informative and well organized posts. Looking forward to some no bid contracts. Support.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I enjoy reading Dick Cheney.'s posts. They're well-informed and thoughtful, leading to interesting discussions. His Scriptorium Contributor's Medal was well-earned. I support this too.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

I'll throw in my support too. A solid contributor it seems.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Support.

I've often thought of patronizing him myself .

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Per my recommendation included in Flinn's OP, I wholeheartedly support this nomination and Dick Cheney's long overdue accession to citizenship status.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Eassssy support
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Nothing to add to the above posts. Easy support.
    On a side note, 1st time in my life I'm voting republican
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

To be clear, we're voting for George Bush to be Citizen. It's just assumed that Dick Cheney will end up being the real power though.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Support.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Abstain. On the one hand the applicant's interest in this site seems minimal or negligible, but on the other hand at least his posts are well thought out and substantive. In future maybe we could expect more than 40 posts per year from this user as meaningful contribution to TWC.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Support,let´s move the hype train! .)
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Blog Entries

This should have been moved to vote several days ago.

​​

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Is it not up to the patron to request the move? I vaguely recall something about a time after a certain amount of supports as well, but it hasn't even been a week on that.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Come on people...

Per the Constitution,
    5. After a two day discussion period the Consul adds a poll lasting five days.
    So, no. ONLY things that are posted in the Prothalamos must be requested to go to vote. If it's posted here in the Q&P then a poll should be added after two days. The only stipulation for extending the discussion period is if the Consul posts an explanation as to why the discussion period as been extended,

6. The discussion period can be extended at the discretion of the Consul, provided an explanation is given.
    As for supports, again, those are only required for things posted within the Prothalamos. The process for citizenship is quite clearly laid out step by step in the Constitution as well.

Patronisation Procedure:

1. The patron confirms the candidate meets the requirements and, with the candidate's consent, Moderation is requested to inform the patron and the Consul whether the moderation requirement is met.
    2. Given moderational clearance, the patron writes an introductory letter outlining why they are nominating the candidate.
    3. The candidate and patron formulate an application which highlights the candidate's contributions along with any supporting evidence/information.
    4. The patron posts the introductory letter and application in a new thread in the Quaestiones Perpetuae forum.
    5. After a two day discussion period the Consul adds a poll lasting five days.
    6. The discussion period can be extended at the discretion of the Consul, provided an explanation is given.
    7. If the candidate achieves sixty percent of non-abstaining votes, they are entitled to the award of Citizenship.
    8. The Consul informs the candidate and patron of the result. If the candidate does not pass they are not eligible to apply again for one month after the conclusion of the poll.
    Last edited by Akar; August 16, 2020 at 06:29 PM.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Poll added

As for the delay, I'm afraid it's going to be a lame excuse from my side - uni has just started up, and we're being flooded with different mails and contradicting messages that are hard to make sense of, so I've had to spend the past days trying to get an idea of how my year is going to look with covid and all that affecting both lectures and physical seminars.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Blog Entries

Voted.

​​

The House of Baltar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast