Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is English your native language?

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Default Re: Is English your native language?

LOL, relax, relax gringos y galletas, still lernin, juicy?

Juicy? Si, now, today word bodywash:

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

English is my 3rd/4th language, most of it from this forum. You are doing great, stay around and I'm certain you'll experience the same.
    Last edited by Narf; August 25, 2020 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Narf View Post
    English is my 3rd/4th language, most of it from this forum. You are doing great, stay around and I'm certain you'll experience the same.
    Is that message for me?

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Probably but if you don't want the compliment I'll take it.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    , let me help you guys a bit, and to keep some of that sweet total war flavour:

Always a start!
    Finnish is not a Germanic (nor an Indo-European) language, but many of our words for exotic concepts such as a turtle are formed in the same way as with our Germanic neighbors. It is literally a shield toad (not a frog, but a toad) in Finnish as well. There must have been a long period in our history when those words were adapted as direct translations from German and Swedish.

I am not a native speaker of English, but those with a limited command of the language easily mistake me for an American. Native English speakers with strong British or Australian accents seem conflicted for a short while on whether or not I am a native speaker of a variety of English that they are not so familiar with. Americans can tell in about two seconds that I am a foreigner, but they seem genuinely puzzled when I tell them how little time I have lived in the United States. I would imagine that a great proportion of immigrants struggle with the basics for a much longer time. Where I am from, a good command of English is quite commonplace because of our small language community. Someone growing up speaking a language such as Spanish or German can do most things in their native language, but in Finland not knowing English amounts to illiteracy in many professional contexts.

Why did I comment on this old thread, you ask. I was going through some old threads in order to be able to nominate people for the 2020 Member Awards. You should too. Please give active, helpful, friendly, or creative members the feedback that they deserve.

Tagalog is my native language, English is my 2nd language.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Why did I comment on this old thread, you ask. I was going through some old threads in order to be able to nominate people for the 2020 Member Awards. You should too. Please give active, helpful, friendly, or creative members the feedback that they deserve.
    May the Dude bless you man
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by AoRun View Post
    Tagalog is my native language, English is my 2nd language.
    Nice! Do many people from the Philippines know English well like you do?

Some time ago our country had a shortage of nurses, and a good number of nurses from the Philippines came over to temporarily work in our hospitals. One of them lived in my apartment building and she had a really good command of English. Good vocabulary and beautiful pronunciation. Her first language was Tagalog as well, and I was surprised to learn that she did not mind the mild climate at all. She told me that she was from a mountainous region and that the mild Finnish summer temperatures felt very much like at home.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

well im not from the philipines but i speak english pretty well, if that answers your question

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    well im not from the philipines but i speak english pretty well, if that answers your question
    That's cheating though, you're from a country whose language is quite similar to english.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Sort of, official documents and laws are written in English, while Tagalog is mainly spoken in the largest island only. I spent years in another where nobody speaks Tagalog but even street kids know basic English terms.

She told me that she was from a mountainous region and that the mild Finnish summer temperatures felt very much like at home.
    Was she not affected by the unusually bright daylight and long hours? It feels like magic and quite overwhelming.

Some time ago our country had a shortage of nurses, and a good number of nurses from the Philippines came over to temporarily work in our hospitals. One of them lived in my apartment building and she had a really good command of English. Good vocabulary and beautiful pronunciation. Her first language was Tagalog as well, and I was surprised to learn that she did not mind the mild climate at all. She told me that she was from a mountainous region and that the mild Finnish summer temperatures felt very much like at home.
    Hi! Where are you from? Here in the Philippines, most of the schools teaches English as our 2nd language. And most of the outsourcing companies for BPO are from the Philippines as well. So I must say that Filipino's are really good in English.

BTW. I really love the UK accent <3

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Sort of, official documents and laws are written in English, while Tagalog is mainly spoken in the largest island only. I spent years in another where nobody speaks Tagalog but even street kids know basic English terms.

Was she not affected by the unusually bright daylight and long hours? It feels like magic and quite overwhelming.
    Wow, that is really interesting but not the most surprising piece of news knowing you from the forums. Your average Joe from Finland usually doesn't cook those kinds of delicious-looking and authentic Asian dishes that you frequently post in the food thread. I can believe that you have had some interesting adventures.

I am aware of the high level of linguistic diversity in the Philippines, but I did not know widely spread Tagalog was. They seem to have transitioned from Spanish into English in terms of European influence, because so many seem to have Spanish names. There are a lot of Spanish place names as well.

Sadly I do not remember what exactly the nurse said about the light, but kind of remember her making a note of it. You are right about magic; it truly is something out of the ordinary for someone growing up anywhere south but especially so close to the Equator, where daylight is practically the same length all year round.

Quote Originally Posted by AoRun View Post
    Hi! Where are you from? Here in the Philippines, most of the schools teaches English as our 2nd language. And most of the outsourcing companies for BPO are from the Philippines as well. So I must say that Filipino's are really good in English.

BTW. I really love the UK accent <3
    I am from Finland in northern Europe. Nice to hear that you folks have the opportunity to learn English and can participate in these mostly English-language forums without trouble. Many UK accents feel really foreign to me

Yes, but I feel disappointed in the way it is.
    "牛鬼蛇神的文字" by Fu Sinian on Chinese characters.
    ("A Cow Demon and Snake God's Writing System")

"汉字不灭,中国必亡" Lu Xun also on Chinese characters.
    ("If Chinese Characters don't die, China will perish")

Why such disappointment?

I don't like the direction it's headed. The grammar is becoming to similar to an Asian language.

What's wrong with the Asian Language?

It's a bit erm...context dependant.
    Before I elaborate, what's your native language?

I think AoRun specified his/her native language to be Tagalog just a few messages back.

If I may venture a guess, you (Bo1Bo1Sha3) do not like English having become an analytical language; having very little morphology and relying on word order instead of inflections or even more complex grammatical constructs to convey meaning.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

we have a linguist here!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast