Thread: about seljuk unit names

Default about seljuk unit names

hello dear developers. i congratulate you for this beautiful mod! it is great. but i have some issues about naming seljuk units. i saw your trello page a roster analysis. in that analysis there are some names i really didnt understand:

1. first one is "Hasers". it should be "hashers". because in turkish it written as "haşer" but "ş" is pronounced like "sh" in english. in historic records i always seen this word as hasher which means irregular forces rally in the campaing times and mostly go to war for looting.

2. second one is "Jira Khaars". it is the same word "Cerahor" but more Persian accent. It means basically payed soldier. it is confusing and unnecessary to represent same unit with two different pronounce. in turkish both ottoman payed soldiers and seljuk payed soldiers called as cerahor regardless their ethnicity or period.

3. third one is "Harami". Harami means bandit. even rarely they were used as soldier they were not the bulk of ottoman early infantry. and means of "Harami" has a bad connotation. it should be a more appropriate name for this unit. no one want to has half of their army as bandits. "Azab" or "Yaya" or even "Levend" is way more good opinions for these unit type.

4. and last one "gureba" is plural of "garip". "gureba horse archers" is means "garipS horse archerS". thank you again for this great work. please forgive me for my typos and grammarical mistakes.

Default Re: about seljuk unit names

Thank you for the feedback! Especially on the 2nd and 4th point.

On the 3rd point, it indeed mean "Bandits". We based it on this passage in Mesut Uyar, "A Military History of the Ottomans: From Osman to Ataturk" (2009)p. 58

...Obviously the government wanted the Akıncıs to conduct raids within the parameters of overall strategy as well as to tax them effectively. However, it was nearly impossible to control the hundreds of small groups operating independently and, as often as not, in their own interests.

The government had to reach a compromise with these small groups by introducing the ‘‘Harami’’ (bandit) category. This essentially gave a free hand to groups of less than 100 to conduct raids into enemy territory after coordinating their activity with regional Akıncı leaders and paying a tax after the successful end of the raid. This was an uneasy compromise for the government that, not surprisingly, created an occasional crisis with neighboring countries. From the perspective of the government, however, Akıncı and Harami activities were useful for wearing down the enemy, were very profitable, and, more importantly, acted as a safety valve in releasing the dangerous pressure of unemployed and volatile youth.

Default Re: about seljuk unit names

I'm playing with Seljuk. But I only deal with riots. Although there are many riots in European countries, riots in Seljuk are unbelievably high. I was surprised whether I will march into my neighboring countries or deal with riots. Nobody attacks me when I play with Byzantium or other European countries. They are just defending. I think these are huge shortcomings. These need to be removed urgently. Everything else is fine in the mod, but it will be great if these can be done too ...