Thread: Thoughts after full conquest playthrough

Default Thoughts after full conquest playthrough

Alright first and foremost, great job thus far.<br><br>Hands down the most fun i've had playing ToB since release including other full conversion mods on this site.<br><br>thoughts<br><br><br>90% of my generals and governors are corrupt, says in the item "due to influence being less than X" yet they all have influence above that amount and have never had lower, so not sure if its a broken mechanic or if 90% of my generals are supposed to corrupt or being corrupted through something I am doing with them or not doing? <br>I under stand absolute power corrupts absolutely... but this definitely seems excessive.<br><br>fire arrows/fire ammo for catapults/onagers-<br>the lack of this seriously frustrates me, it makes no sense to me why they don't exist, and makes it stupid hard to burn a settlement down. <br><br>I enjoy scorched earthing certain settlements, especially was stoked with the research you can unlock giving you more money the more you destroy.. yet.. without fire ammo, destroying a city is super annoying and takes forever, and half the time I cant get my idiot soldiers to throw the damn fire torches anyway?<br><br>Is there some hidden mechanic or trick to this? and why no fire ammo? if its for balancing- is there a way to add fire ammo only targeting to buildings?<br><br>If its for historical accuracy, I have heard fire arrows were not used to target troops very often if at all due to the fact they had to string the bow lighter, or the archer had to do a partial draw to avoid putting out the flame due to arrow speed-but then make them useless against troops, and good against buildings?<br><br>on the note of catapults, 1 per unit is... I understand its maybe ment for balancing, but this makes them essentially useless in sieges. <br>I brought&nbsp; 4 of them and they expended all there ammo and only dropped 1 of 2 towers I was targeting. No idea how to remedy this but in their current state they are garbage/useless unit for sure.<br><br>also on my play through, alot of my enemies did weird things like send their stacks away to fight an enemy, and left their entire country/capital unguarded. <br>Perhaps to give them time to return, you should add small peasant/weak garrisons at smaller settlements to stop the roll through of their empire before they can get back?<br><br><br>lastly the SINGLE most annoying thing of ToB that im not sure anyone can fix- why as soon as the fighting starts, does the shield line put their shields down?!.. hands down the stupidest thing CA could have done in a game centered on the shield wall era.<br><br>Its like as soon as they clash, they figure no one is going to be throwing javelins or shooting arrows into the rear ranks and there is no reason to hold the line anymore lol I am aware the bonuses of shield wall may stay in tact, but immersion is completely lost when im in a badass looking solid shield wall, they hit my line and my guys immediately break shield wall formation lol<br><br>just my thoughts, no offense intended, love your guys mod, keep up the good work.<br><br><br>

Default Re: Thoughts after full conquest playthrough

Alright first and foremost, great job thus far.

Hands down the most fun i've had playing ToB since release including other full conversion mods on this site.

thoughts

90% of my generals and governors are corrupt, says in the item "due to influence being less than X" yet they all have influence above that amount and have never had lower, so not sure if its a broken mechanic or if 90% of my generals are supposed to corrupt or being corrupted through something I am doing with them or not doing?

I under stand absolute power corrupts absolutely... but this definitely seems excessive.

fire arrows/fire ammo for catapults/onagers

the lack of this seriously frustrates me, it makes no sense to me why they don't exist, and makes it stupid hard to burn a settlement down.

I enjoy scorched earthing certain settlements, especially was stoked with the research you can unlock giving you more money the more you destroy.. yet.. without fire ammo, destroying a city is super annoying and takes forever, and half the time I cant get my idiot soldiers to throw the damn fire torches anyway?

Is there some hidden mechanic or trick to this? and why no fire ammo? if its for balancing- is there a way to add fire ammo only targeting to buildings?

If its for historical accuracy, I have heard fire arrows were not used to target troops very often if at all due to the fact they had to string the bow lighter, or the archer had to do a partial draw to avoid putting out the flame due to arrow speed-but then make them useless against troops, and good against buildings?

on the note of catapults, 1 per unit is... I understand its maybe ment for balancing, but this makes them essentially useless in sieges.

I brought 4 of them and they expended all there ammo and only dropped 1 of 2 towers I was targeting. No idea how to remedy this but in their current state they are garbage/useless unit for sure.

also on my play through, alot of my enemies did weird things like send their stacks away to fight an enemy, and left their entire country/capital unguarded.

Perhaps to give them time to return, you should add small peasant/weak garrisons at smaller settlements to stop the roll through of their empire before they can get back?

lastly the SINGLE most annoying thing of ToB that im not sure anyone can fix- why as soon as the fighting starts, does the shield line put their shields down?!.. hands down the stupidest thing CA could have done in a game centered on the shield wall era.

Its like as soon as they clash, they figure no one is going to be throwing javelins or shooting arrows into the rear ranks and there is no reason to hold the line anymore lol I am aware the bonuses of shield wall may stay in tact, but immersion is completely lost when im in a badass looking solid shield wall, they hit my line and my guys immediately break shield wall formation lol

just my thoughts, no offense intended, love your guys mod, keep up the good work.

man do I hate this site sometimes lol

Login, write a forum post, hit post- YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN

ok... login... again... and it posts but screws my formatting.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Thanks for reporting your experiences with this mod.

Yes, it's annoying when formatting gets messed up and when we aren't logged in after we've been writing a post. When you have 25 posts, you'll be able to edit your posts. (There are lots of ways to get to 25 more quickly, such as various chat threads, commenting on After Action Reports and Creative Writing in the Writers' Study and taking part in contests in the Coliseum).

In the meantime, would you like me to remove your first post on this thread and replace it with the second one?

That would be prime,

Thanks for the info also!

Quote Originally Posted by ihatethissite View Post
    on the note of catapults, 1 per unit is... I understand its maybe ment for balancing, but this makes them essentially useless in sieges.

I brought 4 of them and they expended all there ammo and only dropped 1 of 2 towers I was targeting. No idea how to remedy this but in their current state they are garbage/useless unit for sure.
    should they not be removed altogether? i am yet to see a documented evidence for their use in the British isles during the period.

Civis

My first impression feedback.

Campaign.

After several turns and with 10 settlements as Northymbria, I could not feed more than 15 units in army, i'm forced to make taxes very high and stay at 0 income, in addition to that Troops canot replesnih or is replenishing very very slowly thus only effective option is to merge them.
    Lots of settings have very little meaning in campaign. Taxes, besides a chance to lose a city to rebels, doesn't affect campaign in any other way, neither provide negative values or reduce population and such.
    AI doesn't field armies.
    For Player very easy to go bankrupt.
    Quests with estates is glitching. Repeatedly bugging and issueing the same quest every 4-6 turns.
    Clergy Population is present but doesnt function.
    Buildings provide very little meaning in Campaign. Doesn't require planning or considering, everything can be upgraded very fast to maximum level.
    Campaign feels boring and contentles.

Battles. Medium Unit size + Hard Battle AI

Combat is too fast. Troop size is too small or combat is too quick.
    Movement speed needs balancing. Archers and Skirmishers are too fast and can kite any infantry very easily.
    Combat without Proper Animations. I saw a mod which adds variety but is not compatible with Shieldwall - TESTED.
    Archers can be devastating to infantry if unarmored. Only higher level troops can Reach archers without suffering serious casualties.