Thread: How could the AI ambush me?

Default How could the AI ambush me?

So I was playing with Parthia and had two armies just standing by. I ended turn and suddenly three enemy armies attacked one of my stacks just as usual but it appeated as ambush battles. I thought ambush were only possible when you pass through a hidden army red circle with the ambush stance. How can they ambush me if I'm just standing and they move and attack me?

Laetus

Default Re: How could the AI ambush me?

Were your army in patrol stance when you ended the turn? That stance works like forced march in vanilla and will cause your army to be ambushed when attacked.

Yes! It must be that, thanks. Btw, any advice to ambush the AI? I've never achieved it

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by gangster19 View Post
    Yes! It must be that, thanks. Btw, any advice to ambush the AI? I've never achieved it
    It happened to me while playing as Scordiscii so it's definitely possible even withouth any special stance effort.

Quote Originally Posted by gangster19 View Post
    Btw, any advice to ambush the AI? I've never achieved it
    The only way I manage to do it semi-reliably is to give the AI stack a juicy target such as a weak army or an undefended settlement in their range, and hide the real army in ambush stance between the AI stack and said target. The effectiveness will depend on your ambush success chance at the location, though, as well as on whether the AI has agents with which to spot your ambush even before they run into it. But even if the ambush fails, the AI may well retreat from the battle once they run into you and find you, making it easier to catch up to them.

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by SilUns View Post
    The only way I manage to do it semi-reliably is to give the AI stack a juicy target such as a weak army or an undefended settlement in their range, and hide the real army in ambush stance between the AI stack and said target. The effectiveness will depend on your ambush success chance at the location, though, as well as on whether the AI has agents with which to spot your ambush even before they run into it. But even if the ambush fails, the AI may well retreat from the battle once they run into you and find you, making it easier to catch up to them.
    This.

Also keep in mind that when your army is in 'ambush' stance, they are basically invisible until an agent or army comes near them. Also, placing your army in a forest increases the chance of ambush. You can also increase ambush chance by upgrading the appropriate path when your general levels up (same path as 'night commander'). A well played ambush can be very effective, especially if your using a faction who's units may not be well suited to head-to-head, 'fair' battles with the more militarily disciplined and advanced factions. The Nervii and Suebi are particularly suited for such attacks.
    Last edited by Dead*Man*Wilson; August 07, 2020 at 10:43 AM.

Great advice from you guys! I find amazing that after so many hours there's still ways of playing I've never experienced before, looking forward to trap some Romans in a dense german forest