Thread: Do you know of any expert Rome 2 Total War players?

Default Do you know of any expert Rome 2 Total War players?

I mean people ( that you know them in person ) or youtubers who are very good at Rome 2 Total War in both single player and multiplayer modes of play. For example when they play a campaign they always play it at legendary level and always handle all the difficult situations succesfully ( such as winning battles when being outnumbered, resolving issues such as civil wars/secessions, managing things smartly ( both the political and economical management )

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Do you know of any expert Rome 2 Total War players?

I do not know anyone personally that plays any Total War games. I have gifted Rome 2 and other TW games to people I know...but none have ever played them As to You Tube players Legend of Total War is good at exploiting the game mechanics but he does not play Rome 2 as he hates it-he did do a DEI campaign once and auto resolved every single battle!. Lionheart x 10 does not like Rome 2 either and will not play it. Sir Vainglory has a nice channel and plays Rome 2 he is very detailed when he plays-you can watch him play and learn how to play the game...he is a slow player. Jackie Fish and Alex the Rambler and Simpzy and The Argonaut and Steven Sliverberg play Rome 2 but they ONLY play DEI mod.(DEI mod channels) Lord Levan has played Rome 2 in the past. Medjay of Fayium and TSJ also play Rome 2. Lord John played Rome 2 once put he is a Gun powder TW Napoleon/Empire player but he was good at it though. There just is not very many You Tube player that do Rome 2 as it is not a very popular game. Most You Tubers play Warhammer 2 as that is the most popular TW game at the moment. IF you are looking for advice then steam has many Rome 2 guides were you can pick up advice.
    Last edited by Bran Mac Born; October 28, 2020 at 02:32 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Heir of Carthage and Maximus Decimus Meridius are the YouTubers whose videos I've found most helpful for learning how to play Rome 2 battles more effectively.

I still need to get better at fighting battles manually specially if I'm outnumbered and in open field. In open field it is tough to handle an army bigger than yours ( And worst if that army has cavalry units that look for your ranged units all the time )

Can an expert player beat an army that outnumbers him 3:1?

Quote Originally Posted by Bran Mac Born View Post
    I do not know anyone personally that plays any Total War games. I have gifted Rome 2 and other TW games to people I know...but none have ever played them As to You Tube players Legend of Total War is good at exploiting the game mechanics but he does not play Rome 2 as he hates it-he did do a DEI campaign once and auto resolved every single battle!. Lionheart x 10 does not like Rome 2 either and will not play it. Sir Vainglory has a nice channel and plays Rome 2 he is very detailed when he plays-you can watch him play and learn how to play the game...he is a slow player. Jackie Fish and Alex the Rambler and Simpzy and The Argonaut and Steven Sliverberg play Rome 2 but they ONLY play DEI mod.(DEI mod channels) Lord Levan has played Rome 2 in the past. Medjay of Fayium and TSJ also play Rome 2. Lord John played Rome 2 once put he is a Gun powder TW Napoleon/Empire player but he was good at it though. There just is not very many You Tube player that do Rome 2 as it is not a very popular game. Most You Tubers play Warhammer 2 as that is the most popular TW game at the moment. IF you are looking for advice then steam has many Rome 2 guides were you can pick up advice.
    I really don't like to autoresolve all or most battles. It gets a bit boring

I've seen some gamers who are good at fighting battles manually but they suck at both economical and political management. There aren't many gamers out there that are very good at both.

That's a good point - being an expert Rome 2 player involves handling your economy and internal politics well. Players often seem to struggle with avoiding secessions and civil wars in particular - which is understandable, since this system was introduced in one of the later patches and the tutorial doesn't introduce the new system.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    That's a good point - being an expert Rome 2 player involves handling your economy and internal politics well. Players often seem to struggle with avoiding secessions and civil wars in particular - which is understandable, since this system was introduced in one of the later patches and the tutorial doesn't introduce the new system.

I think some people created a special mod for eliminating secessions/civil wars in the Rise of the Republic dlc.

And as to some palyers who autoresolve all or most of their battles, I really don't like it that way because the campaign might get boring

I do tend to autoresolve battles because the battle mechanics is terrible. RTW 1 gave much more chance to pull off unexpected victories. In RTW 2 it is usually a pretty boring clash.

I do tend to autoresolve battles because the battle mechanics is terrible. RTW 1 gave much more chance to pull off unexpected victories. In RTW 2 it is usually a pretty boring clash.
    A campaign where all or most battles are autoresolved lacks action and the excitement of the battles. It can be a boring campaign.
    I'd autoresolve a battle only if it's a battle I'd win very easily anyway and if I don't have important units that are nearly completely depleted ( such as cavalry or elephants or strong infantry units ). The computer always targets at your cavalry or elephants or strongest infantry units that are nearly all depleted. I don't like losing units that have accumulated much experience.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; July 23, 2022 at 10:55 AM.

I agree, twgamer, I enjoy the battles. As I mentioned before, videos by players such as Maximus Decimus Meridius and Heir of Carthage showed me how players can pull of unexpected victories in Rome II. Even though their videos which I saw were mostly multiplayer battles and I play singleplayer campaigns, their tactics work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I agree, twgamer, I enjoy the battles. As I mentioned before, videos by players such as Maximus Decimus Meridius and Heir of Carthage showed me how players can pull of unexpected victories in Rome II. Even though their videos which I saw were mostly multiplayer battles and I play singleplayer campaigns, their tactics work well.
    I'll check those channels. I also won some battles that I had thought I would lose them. Specially city defense battles when being significantly outnumbered.

Are there specific tactics that you use for winning battles that you thought you'd lose when you're not defending a city? I wonder if there are particular factions or combinations of units that make this easier.

I would have to refresh my memory...