Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

Let the corporations fight! Let the consumers reap the spoils of war!
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Registered, downloaded and played. The world is still spinning even Covid-19 is still on the rise.
    Grabbed few free games from Epic beforehand though but not going to buy anything from them though until they offer regional price.

And yes, Troy is great and pretty optimised.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    I already had an account and I have already "bought" the game.
    If I had seen that thread, I wouldn't have got the game from EGS. I agree that such a move, if successful, would lead to more "Exclusives" in the future. It's opening the pandora's box.
    What's wrong with exclusives? 😁

I got it on Thursday and now I'm enjoying a really fun game completely for free. I really don't care through which platform it came from.
    Last edited by Gromovnik; August 21, 2020 at 12:09 AM.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Its not a "yes" to developers, because the game is free. Its like putting a giftcard in someone's mail. Would I ever pay for a game from Epic store, even a full Total War title? Of course not. The reasons for that are not related to CA and Total War in general - has to do with EG itself, more specifically its ownership definitely not a business model anyone should encourage financially. In fact, I am not even planning on buying "blood" DLC when it becomes available - not unless a Steam copy is out and I'm still interested in this game in 2021.

OP, maybe you don't remember the earlier pre-steam days, but early Steam along with a few others have pulled "dick" moves that Epic could only dream of. When Steam first started people were claiming that it would be the end of the PC gaming industry as we knew it, and they weren't wrong. Overall I think like alot of modern day issues, we have lost some freedoms and gained security and we were had no choice. Ask Ben Franklin what that means. We used to be able to own physical copies of our games and could let people borrow them or sell them or give them away or trade them in or whatever we wanted because they were ours. Now Steam, and the companies like them, OWN "our" games, and ALLOW us to use them, and no matter how many games we accumulate, they have the right to decide whether we are ALLOWED to use them or not. Tomorrow they could delete your account and you would have NO games, and no recourse because you've signed their TOS. Now, whether or not they would do that is beside the point, they could. It doesn't have to be that way, but it is, because that is the way they want it. They have formulated a business model that is in NO way consumer friendly, the only thing they've done is make it easier to for them to part our money from our wallets and into their coffers. Epic is just trying to get in on some of that action, as well as potentially collect massive amounts of data from their customers for their political overlords. I was on Epic the other day and I was logging on to play a game and I kept getting a popup saying I had to accept the new Terms of Service to continue. To sum it up, I wasn't able to access any of "my" games unless I agreed to their new TOS. Dick move, YES. Any worse than Steam? No. At this rate, in a few more years the Epic store will probably be a fleshed out as Steam, ie. store pages, workshop, community, etc. Is this good for consumers? Maybe, as far as competition for pricing and exclusive offers. Monopolies are never good for consumers. It is the business model as a whole that is "dickish" not the company, none of these corporations are your friend. Get the free stuff, the devil you know is NOT better than the devil you don't. They both devils. Excuse the ramble/

Interesting conversation. I didn't register for the free game because I'm not interested in having to contend with another gaming company keeping up with my playing habits. But, that is my personal decision. I've no problem with anyone wanting or joining to get the game for free on Epic. Game play is a personal decision. I made mine. Everyone else can make theirs.
    "The trouble with facts is that there are so many of them." - Samuel McChord Crothers

Oh, how horrible.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123