Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

  1. #21
    Daruwind's Avatar Citizen
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    2,759

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    @PointOfViewGun but at no point I have been trying to persuate others to byocott of don´t get the free copy. I´m merely explaining my point of view ;-) No sure where exactly, but here or in thread around I recently stated that free game on Epic is great way to try the game and of course it is good for people without means.

    About crossplatform. We will see what will (if anything) materialize from it. Definitely nobody was expecting CA to even start talking about something like that and check for yourself recent blog post. I have no idea how they will manage it as right now it would require stores to accept keys from other stores...Like having Troy on Epic, DLCs on Steam...game launching via TW launcher with all content. Dunno really how it will work. But one sure thing is, it would be very "pro-consumer" move from CA.
    Last edited by Daruwind; August 14, 2020 at 05:45 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

  2. #22

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    @PointOfViewGun but at no point I have been trying to persuate others to byocott of don´t get the free copy. I´m merely explaining my point of view ;-) No sure where exactly, but here or in thread around I recently stated that free game on Epic is great way to try the game and of course it is good for people without means.

    About crossplatform. We will see what will (if anything) materialize from it. Definitely nobody was expecting CA to even start talking about something like that and check for yourself recent blog post. I have no idea how they will manage it as right now it would require stores to accept keys from other stores...Like having Troy on Epic, DLCs on Steam...game launching via TW launcher with all content. Dunno really how it will work. But one sure thing is, it would be very "pro-consumer" move from CA.
    I was referring to your statement "I bet nobody would have problems with second scenarios" as I had a problem with that scenario when the first scenario is on the table. I didn't imply that you were trying to persuade others to boycott getting a free copy.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  3. #23
    alhoon's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chania, Greece
    Posts
    22,269

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    I already had an account and I have already "bought" the game.
    If I had seen that thread, I wouldn't have got the game from EGS. I agree that such a move, if successful, would lead to more "Exclusives" in the future. It's opening the pandora's box.
    DIE: Diversity, Inclusion, Equality (Pun on SJWs, I am not far-right)
    _______________________________________________________
    Beta-tester for Darthmod Empire, the default modification for Empire Total War that does not ask for your money behind patreon.

    Developer of Causa Belli submod for Darthmod, headed by Hammeredalways and a ton of other people.
    Developer of LtC: Random maps submod for Lands to Conquer (that brings a multitude of random maps and other features).

  4. #24
    Daruwind's Avatar Citizen
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    2,759

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    I was referring to your statement "I bet nobody would have problems with second scenarios" as I had a problem with that scenario when the first scenario is on the table. I didn't imply that you were trying to persuade others to boycott getting a free copy.
    Then I´m little confused... So you are pointed at scenario, where Troy is on multiple stores but not free on any one..because of it? So it is better to have it just on Epic while free? ....but pardon me, how multiple stores availability and being free on epic are excluding each other options? On contrary I don´t mind being free on Epic as long as the availability even for full price is on other stores. Steam at least, gog and others for better. Nobody is arguing for going just Steam... :-)

    @alhoon don´t worry. I in the end registered Epic as well but not to play, just to get game and Amazons DLC in future from Access because that will be free for limited amount of time. And I´m just hoping by time Troy hits Steam, those claimed DLCs will be possible to use for free on Steam as well.
    Last edited by Daruwind; August 14, 2020 at 07:05 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

  5. #25

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Then I´m little confused... So you are pointed at scenario, where Troy is on multiple stores but not free on any one..because of it? So it is better to have it just on Epic while free? ....but pardon me, how multiple stores availability and being free on epic are excluding each other options? On contrary I don´t mind being free on Epic as long as the availability even for full price is on other stores. Steam at least, gog and others for better. Nobody is arguing for going just Steam... :-)
    Per your post only the first scenario included free distribution. The second one didn't. So, if I have to chose between free but only on Epic vs. not free but on all platforms I'd prefer the first one.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  6. #26
    Daruwind's Avatar Citizen
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    2,759

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Per your post only the first scenario included free distribution. The second one didn't. So, if I have to chose between free but only on Epic vs. not free but on all platforms I'd prefer the first one.
    Ah I see where you point now. :-)

    but...

    First scenario was paid steam, but superior clien vs free epic,inferior client. I agree with you that for majority of people money side of thing is the most important. In Second scenario I said nothing about how various stores will compete and what incentives will offer. For example being free on epic would be great competitive boost in such situation...If you need me to write to that scenario such obvious note, i don´t mind.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

  7. #27
    Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Moderation Mentor

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    5,371

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    To be honest, I don't see how accepting the offer will encourage more exclusive deals in the future. Total War games have been platform-exclusive since 2009, which means that the current deal actually breaks the monopoly of Steam, encouraging more competition perhaps for the benefit of the consumer (in all likelihood, probably just for Creative Assembly). I understand that Epic is less user-friendly Gabe's child, but the differences are negligible in my opinion. Your privacy in Steam is also at risk, while the mere existence of an online platform forces the customers to refuse their full ownership rights, to which they are supposed to be fully entitled, having legally purchased the product, by being obliged to share it with an intermediary. So, the situation is rather dismal with or without Epic. So, given the fact that the game was free and that the monopoly of Steam was finally broken, I happily registered to epic, in order to reap the fruits! I for one cordially welcome our new Chinese overlods!

  8. #28
    Huberto's Avatar Praepositus
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,281

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    So, given the fact that the game was free and that the monopoly of Steam was finally broken, I happily registered to epic, in order to reap the fruits! I for one cordially welcome our new Chinese overlods!
    Long time lurker here...

    Not a fan of CCP and its corporations and I do not welcome them. Full stop. But the major concern is trading a good exclusive platform for a $hitty one. It's actually a really bad platform right now for mod centric games, but (and it's a massive but) they compensate by giving games away for free. The test of time is whether they can create a decent platform.

    That said, let's not miss the forest from the trees. The big takeaway is over 1.5 million downloads. That tells me something about the popularity of TW and that makes me hope we'll see a bunch of similar strategy titles in the future on all sorts of platforms. I have no interest in Troy or its asshat relation Warhammer but this tells me there's a big market out there for historically themed strategy games! Hopefully good ones too...
    Last edited by Huberto; August 14, 2020 at 09:34 AM.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Where you got the download numbers?
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  10. #30
    Daruwind's Avatar Citizen
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    2,759

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Where you got the download numbers?
    https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1293935352823132162

    Well just don´t dream about stars guys..Every free game on Epic gets a lot traffic because it is free. Which means crowd will probably move to next free thing next week. Plus a lot people just grabbed game without reasonto play it immidietly..That being said, it is still great success for CA as many new players will try TW. Question is exactly what @PointOfViewGun pointed a few posts above...how many of those13years old kids with little money will eventually buy any paid content
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

  11. #31
    Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Moderation Mentor

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    5,371

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Grace commented that approximately one million copies were purchased in the first hour and "plenty more" shortly after. The first hours will experience the majority of traffick, but, in my opinion, it's safe to assume that Troy has probably exceeded all the previous Total War titles, in terms of playerbase size. However, I disagree with Huberto about that achievement being a reliable indication of the franchise's popularity. The Epic platform has a dedicated page for every upcoming and present exceptional offer. I suspect that a great number of its users regularly check this and add new games to their library with a click of a button, without having any clue whatsoever about what thing they just "bought". A much more interesting statistical data would be the number of people, who actually bothered to download Troy (I personally didn't, I'm going to wait for the inevitable patch to iron out the most glaring bugs, like the essentially nonexistent collision), as well as the retention rates, during the next weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Not a fan of CCP and its corporations and I do not welcome them. Full stop. But the major concern is trading a good exclusive platform for a $hitty one. It's actually a really bad platform right now for mod centric games, but (and it's a massive but) they compensate by giving games away for free. The test of time is whether they can create a decent platform.
    Fair point about the mods, but it's not like the situation in Steam is ideal, despite its overestimated launcher. Installing mods for older games, like Medieval II and Rome I, is often a very painful exercise, not to mention the facts that many mods, whose authors have become inactive, are irreversibly broken, due to minor, but also inevitable updates, like the recent one for Empire and Napoleon. In my opinion, Steam's slight advantage is easily negated by the offer for free and the breaking of Steam's permanent monopoly. After all, Troy will eventually be available on Steam, as well, so, although the modding scene won't be as active in August 2021 as today, modding will not be seriously hampered, in the long term. Summarily put, criticising the deal with Epic seems to me as arguing for the lesser evil, because neither option is beneficial for the consumer. Personally, I'm not going to complain on behalf of Gabe and it could be a positive development, if some gamers realise that digital platforms, which enjoy exlcusivity privileges, may actually violate a couple of their rights, to which they are definitely entitled, as legal owners of an official product.

    EDIT: Forget the 1 million number, CA has reported that 7.5 millions have claimed the game in total! Only a small amount of that number will probably play it and an even smaller percentage will remain interested in it for more than one week, but the number is so huge that CA may have actually gained quite a few new customers with a modest title, whose budget and prospects had always been secondary to those of tent-pole games and trilogies.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; August 14, 2020 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Millions.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Perhaps we'll see the real results when we can get some play data. Does Epic Games present how many people play a game like Steam does?
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  13. #33

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    There's no public facing data for the EGS that I'm aware of. You'd have to be a developer.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

  14. #34

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    As a person who would never have even bought Troy or had low interest in it, getting it free seems like a good deal for me. I am worried though about the chinese-ness of epic games but there is yet to be revealed any real concerns about using epic games and downloading Troy. Of course you can be a modern person and have claim that you as customer effect markets and development of games and etc etc. I myself don't take it that far in my personal life since it would make going to supermarket for groceries a moral nightmare when you need to know everything about every product. At the end of the day, free game is a free game.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Personally, i DESPISE the tactics of Epic for gaining exclusivity.

    Exclusivity doesn't ADD, it TAKES AWAY. Epic taking away a game for a full year from Steam and other platforms for what? For getting more customers, who realize, what a the Epic game store actually is? Same goes for Console exclusivity, you are just limiting the amount of customers, that is all. I'm already sick of the amount of launchers i have to install just to get the desired game.

    Just look at EA back paddling to Steam, because they realized, their games are pretty dead without the Steam base. But like Ubisoft is EA still enforcing their launcher on the people. And it shows again, how pro-consumer and friendly Steam has become. Epic doesn't reach it and it doesn't want to reach it, they want the companies, not the customers.

    And whoever still believes in the goddamn , that the devs are getting more money from Epic, NO, no, stop believing that! The PRODUCERS are getting more money! The higher members of the company are getting more money! If its not an Indie, than the devs are getting the same payment as before, only their chefs are getting more money!

    !https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlCWhtmQPvo!

    We, the gamers, the customers, have more power with our buying than you can imagine. If you take games for free, just because you joined Epic, what message are you sending with that? What will the big companies learn from that? Stop for a moment and look at the bigger picture, today will be free full games, but tomorrow? Free games, that is missing content? Free games with a micro transaction shop for the full game experience? Free games with spyware? Free games that will murder Hong Kong in the sleep? Sorry, that one just slipped, just wondering how Hong Kong is doing right now. Say, when does Tencent bring out the Muslim Genocide game out? The Chinese Mosque temple demolition game got pretty fast old and stale and the Chinese/Muslim enforced marriage dating sim game is just so unrealistic.

    Where was i? Ah yes, fully developed games for free, if you ask me, nothing is for free, there is always a hook.

    Just my personal view. I'm so tired, i miss the old days, where your purchase didn't support a fascism regime, but i realized, we already did that back in the day too. I just want a good game without the fear of supporting something bad.

    For those, who would have morale nightmares just going shopping for food and stuff, google Avocados killing a River and see, how Avocados are way too dangerous.
    Last edited by DarkKismeth; August 15, 2020 at 04:34 AM.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKismeth View Post
    I'm so tired, i miss the old days, where your purchase didn't support a fascism regime, but i realized, we already did that back in the day too. I just want a good game without the fear of supporting something bad.
    Well the game is free so you could argue that you are not sending your money to support a fascist regime Don't feel bad, video games in general could be argued to be a device to unsocialize young western men into unemployment and mental disorders

  17. #37

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Quote Originally Posted by Dumanthis View Post
    Well the game is free so you could argue that you are not sending your money to support a fascist regime Don't feel bad, video games in general could be argued to be a device to unsocialize young western men into unemployment and mental disorders
    AGAIN: NOTHING IS FOR FREE! I don't trust Epic and i don't trust this Games for free stick. And unsocialize young men? WTF are you on? Are you shoving all the causes and problems onto video games? DUDE! COME ON! I can't handle people well, that already started to show when i was a kid, and no, i had no Gameboy back then or SNES, i simply couldn't get along with other children. Yes, i had sad childhood, i have chronic depression, yada yada yada. But that is my problem and not yours. And blaming video games for that is just childish.

    And you do know which fascist regime i mean, right? The CCP? Sheesh, learn more about Tencent, but then again, don't, i don't care what you do. Go on, blame Video games for everything like the politics and peoples are trying to do.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkKismeth View Post
    And unsocialize young men? WTF are you on? Are you shoving all the causes and problems onto video games? DUDE! COME ON! I can't handle people well, that already started to show when i was a kid, and no, i had no Gameboy back then or SNES, i simply couldn't get along with other children. Yes, i had sad childhood, i have chronic depression, yada yada yada. But that is my problem and not yours. And blaming video games for that is just childish.

    And you do know which fascist regime i mean, right? The CCP? Sheesh, learn more about Tencent, but then again, don't, i don't care what you do. Go on, blame Video games for everything like the politics and peoples are trying to do.
    Well, that was uncalled for.
    He said "video games in general could be argued to be a device...", not "video games are the source of all evil". Video games, (like alcohol) may exacerbate existing problems, but aren't the main source of them. Whether this is "a device" so something used intentionally on a grand scale is a different story.
    Imagine what would a lot of young men do, if some country was to completely ban video games (1920s prohibition style)? I don't know, I'm not a conspiracy theory guy, all I meant to convey is that prevalence of video games has some effect on young men worldwide, good or bad, I don't care, but it's there.


    Back on the topic:
    I'm up for boycotting Epic, they play too dirty and ruin quality of the industry.
    edit.
    Actually I've been curious how Epic's policy is even legal. Giving out games for free etc. to harm competition sounds like plain old price dumping. Is it legal in the US?
    Last edited by Just let me post; August 15, 2020 at 12:21 PM.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Quote Originally Posted by Just let me post View Post
    Actually I've been curious how Epic's policy is even legal. Giving out games for free etc. to harm competition sounds like plain old price dumping. Is it legal in the US?
    It's no more illegal than any other sale a store puts on. Dumping (or predatory pricing in general) implies that you're attempting to drive other people out of the market. The difficulty there is that you'd have to show that people weren't using other stores because they were using Epic, then you'd have to show that Epic was doing so in ways that distorted the market by pricing in such a way that is clearly not sustainable.

    This one kind falls at the first hurdle. Steam (as well as other stores) already does free weekends, giveaways, and big markdowns. It's already a massive storefront with a majority of digital distribution in the PC market. It already has a huge library with tons of games that its competitors don't have access to. The insinuation that Epic giving away a game for free for 24 hours could make a credible threat to Steam's viability in the market would probably elicit more amusement from a judge than consternation.

    Even if they were willing to make the case about just this one product and they accepted that a 24 hour period was significant enough to constitute a real pricing strategy (which is almost certainly isn't in this case), you'd have to show that people weren't buying the Total Wars on Steam because they all claimed Troy for free. If anything, the opposite is true.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

  20. #40
    Daruwind's Avatar Citizen
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    2,759

    Default Re: Do NOT register at Epic Game Store to get Troy for free

    Epic is trying to bruteforce its way into many different places. Like recent fight with Apple/Google. On one hand Epic is trying to push "pro-consumer narrative"..saving money, getting cheaper but it is all doing just to benefit itself. To gain new dominant place. And reason for such aggresive stance is simple, running out time before Fortnite is done. It is not question if but when...

    Last edited by Daruwind; August 16, 2020 at 04:01 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •