Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LME4 1792 campaign modification

the new username's Avatar Praepositus

Default LME4 1792 campaign modification

Hi all,

During this lockdown I decided to modify some aspects of the 1792 campaign just for personal use, such as Austrian hungarian infantry having proper hungarian trousers. It end up becoming a small project of mine to give the Austrian faction more variety in terms of units (I play with more than 40 units on the battlefield and it really was unpleasant to see all the soldiers were nothing but clones of each other), and then subsequently Bavaria and Prussia.

Main idea

What I wanted to do was to be able to simulate having different regiments on the field of battle, not just different by their regimental name but also by the colour of their uniform. We know the austrian german infantry regiments wore a white colour coat and with white breeches and black gaitiers, with the cuffs, lapels and turnbacks of the coat having variable colours according to regiment. What we have in the game is a single unit for the player to emulate line infantry regiments that even though can have different names they cannot have different coat facing colours. So what I did was to create <strong>more line infantry units</strong> with different coat facings colours so this uniform variation of the regiments could be better portrayed in the battlefield. e.g Austria had a line infantry unit with the facings being red, I created more than 10 line infantry units with facings such as pink, brown, green, purple, light blue, dark blue, orange, etc. this way when playing with lets say a 70 unit stack when looking at units I can actually feel I am commanding different regiments and not just clones of the same one, just renamed. This applies not just to line infantry but to all of the infantry units and cavalry, for other units the method of obtaining variation of uniform sometimes had to be different, following an historical approach to them.
    To try to make it as historical accurate as possible, i've limited the number of units you can have of the several line infantry units plus the ones existing (47th czech, kaiser regiment,) according to lists i've found detailing the Austrian army in 1793, which is close enough IMO. I also distributed the recruitment of all austrian regiments, cavalry and infantry, throughout the regions of austria with the help of http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...gimental-Names

Creating the units

I based my work on the Wolves submod, which increases the number of units you can recruit in order to simulate them being battalions of a given regiment. the rework of the line infantry was essentially to create the maximum possible units of generic line infantry with different coat facing colours. The regular army units recruitable are for all purposes battalions, but they are called "infantry regiment" as they do not exist independently of the regiment. Besides generic infantry units I left some of the named regiments that existed in the LME mod (e.g the Splenyi regiment, the 47th, the Archduke Charles, etc. being these units limited to a recruitable maximum of four). I crossed these generic line infantry units with the lists of the austrian army regiments and their facings colour, for example in the period the Austrian Army had four regiments with pink facings, so in the game, with a regiment being divided into 4 units, you can recruit 16 units of that generic line infanty which in total amounts to 4 recruitable regiments with pink facings.

For grenadiers the approach had to be different considering the manner they were organised from army to army. For operational purposes in the austrian army the grenadier companies were detached from their parent regiments and merged them with other grenadier companies to form a battalion entirely composed of grenadiers. Having this fact into account logically the number of grenadier units you can recruit is much smaller than line infantry. The coat facing colour variation is present but you can't recruit a big amount of them. In contrast, in the prussian army the number of grenadiers by regiment was increased to a battalion per regiment so there were no more converged grenadier battalions. So in the game I have given Prussia a bigger amount of grenadier units to recruit, and a prussian grenadier battalion is designated as "infantry regiment" because it doesn't exist independently of its regiment unlike its Austrian counterpart that is designated as "grenadier battalion".

The approach to light infantry had to be also different: Prussia had created in 1787 seventeen light infantry battalions, and austria at start of the first coalition war had the traditional light troops of the border with the ottoman empire organised into line regiments. In game you can recruit 17 units of light infantry as prussia, following the logic that one unit = one battalion, and for the austrian faction I kept the grenz regiments as light infantry for gameplay purposes, even though I changed their stats to resemble line infantry units. For Austria I decided to also create several frei corp units and also some emigre units.

Bavarian Army

I created the unit textures from scratch for the new bavarian roster based on the Count Rumford's style uniform the army used back then. The bavarian army counted four grenadier regiments, fourteen of fusiliers, two of jagers, two of cuirassiers, two of dragoons and three of chevau-legers. So in the game the amount of units you can recruit is meant to reflect the historical number of regiments the bavarian army had

Unique Generals

Historical generals just as the Prince of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld and the Duke of Brunswick were created as distinct general units and are have been integrated into the starting army of their respective country.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0wt20q.../data.rar/file
    To install extract the contents of the rar file into your data folder.
    Then you will have to update your user.script with the appropriate pack files. if you don't add for example the Wolves submod to the user script it will be broken.

Credits to the Imperial Splendour team for their texture of the sash I used for my generals, and to the Preussens gloria mod team for the texture of the prussian grenadier guard mitre cap.

Anything you find to be wrong in the mod, be it information or issues with the units please feel free to share with me so I can look into it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napoleon 2020-07-29 16-52-54-07.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	362266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napoleon 2020-07-29 16-53-13-74.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	362267Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napoleon 2020-07-29 16-53-41-16.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	362268Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napoleon 2020-07-29 16-53-58-00.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	236.1 KB 
ID:	362269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napoleon 2020-07-29 16-53-52-39.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	362270Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napoleon 2020-07-29 17-01-09-07.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	362271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napoleon 2020-07-29 16-59-20-56.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	362272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napoleon 2020-07-29 17-00-16-63.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	362273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napoleon 2020-07-29 17-00-20-89.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	362274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Napoleon 2020-07-29 16-59-50-77.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	362275

Most recent version of the mod: https://www.mediafire.com/file/dzajm...ation.rar/file plus https://www.mediafire.com/file/qtt5r...odels.rar/file for naval texture. info and media about the version on the #18 post in the thread.
    Last edited by the new username; August 26, 2021 at 10:51 PM.

Default Re: LME4 1792 campaign modification

With a user script of:
    mod LME4_WOS.pack;
    mod LME4_USM.pack;
    mod LME4_Camp1792.pack;
    mod LME4_Music_Project.pack;
    mod LME4_graphics.pack;
    mod LME4.pack;

I'm getting crashes on startup, when it shows the LME logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    With a user script of:
    mod LME4_WOS.pack;
    mod LME4_USM.pack;
    mod LME4_Camp1792.pack;
    mod LME4_Music_Project.pack;
    mod LME4_graphics.pack;
    mod LME4.pack;

I'm getting crashes on startup, when it shows the LME logo.
    Do a fresh install, or try to launch via the launcher. I played with my alterations for a while and had no CTD upon launch, so it couldn't be a pack issue

Does this submod solve the issue when playing as french royalists during 1972 campaign? It sucks that the game keeps crashing after several turns.

Quote Originally Posted by scaniavikings View Post
    Does this submod solve the issue when playing as french royalists during 1972 campaign? It sucks that the game keeps crashing after several turns.

So far my changes to LME have been all regarding aesthetics and startpos.

Can you tell me in which turn the game crashes as the royalists?

My next release features a new roster for the royalists, but i'm not aware of any crash playing as them. I will test the royalist campaign though

So I have been doing some experiments with traits and I think I managed to pull off a rank system for generals (Lieutenant General > Full General > Field Marshall)

For example, Archduke Charles has the rank of Feldmarshall-Leutnant at startpos :

Fighting and winning on the battlefield makes him attain the rank of Feldzeugmeister:

More battles fought and victories results in him becoming a Field Marshall:

To stand out from other ranks visually and also to add more flavour, I decided to create a Field Marshall Baton ancillary that the character gains upon reaching the rank (trait) of Field Marshall. IMO it makes them more distinguishable from other ranks (as they historically were) rather than just having the trait of Field Marshal

I'm still in the process of doing the necessary polishing such as the script command adjustment for more or less realistic conditions for the upgrading of ranks, attributes and effects of the ranks and better descriptions.

Hi, I have discovered this submod now and I like it as an idea. The campaign of 1792 is the most interesting of all, so a mod like that is welcome. Can I give you some advice?

1) Please delete the Duchy of Milan! I don't understand why the authors of the mod have decided to put it as an independent state. In the XVIII century it had almost exclusively the name independent, but for everything else it was controlled by the Austrians. Better to put it as an Austrian possession;

2) The dissolution of the Duchy of Milan can be compensated by adding the Duchy of Courland. In the 1792 campaign it's not present, but the duchy existed until 1795;

3) Could you change the design of the troops of the various Italian states? On this I can help you with historical information. I have given information to various mods, including Absolutum Dominium and Imperial Splendour. To say the vanilla design of the Venetian troops is horrible!

Keep it up you're doing fine!

Heh, you're a mind reader because I have most of those features ready for my next update. I have given complete control of Milan to austria, plus AoC units (Units from Modena, Parma and Tuscany):

boracay wallpaper

I have reworked Venice from government officials to navy aesthetics and new army units:

Some rework of the ships textures. I will try to make them more diverse and unique to each faction. I find vanilla ones too bland:

This one for Bourbon France (one of the modified factions of the next release):

New textures for Austria:

Last edited by the new username; June 19, 2021 at 11:56 AM.

Fantastic work! Beautiful Venetian units!

Good idea to also put various units of Tuscany, Modena and Parma in the Austrian roster. If you need more about the Italian factions I can help you! If you want, you could also do a review for the Italian campaign in the future. I had no idea to do one, but I am denied for modding!

Thanks. Well the next Italian faction I will mess around with will be Savoy, I have as priority re-doing the nations around France to be as historical to the period so the war of the first coalition becomes as authentic as possible. I think that about sources, the ones I lack the most are on the Neapolitan roster.

I have reworked France, French Royalists and Venice on this update. For the future my priority is to work on the Dutch roster and then the Savoyard one, but I think I will take some time to get on that stage of my mod. Still want to make some startpos modifications such as having available more generals rather than just 3 or 4 upon the start of campaign for France, Prussia and Austria. There's a severe lack of information about Venetian generals of this period, so I won't add any starting generals to the faction ( I have made generals becoming available to recruit though, which they weren't)

Hi, unfortunately information on the uniforms of the Kingdom of Naples at the end of the XVIII century is a bit lacking. I recommend that you take a look at this book available online and the Vinkhuijzen digital collection:

https://issuu.com/rivista.militare1/...1789-1815-test
    https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/...tab=navigation

There would also be a book by Quinto Cenni, who was a famous Italian military illustrator, on the uniforms of the Kingdom of Naples and Sicily in 1785 - 1807, but unfortunately it costs quite a bit. If I wish in the future, I could request it from the National Library of Rome.

As for the Venetian generals, the admirals were more important. Admirals of that period are Angelo Emo (although he died in 1792), Tommaso Condulmer, Jacopo Nani and Leonardo Correr. The latter 3 were in charge of defending the Republic of Venice against Napoleon's French troops during the Italian Campaign.

Thank you for the sources.

I based my Venetian admiral texture on Angelo Emo. I think I might at least find a way to make those available at the start of the Venetian campaign.

So I found a way of having more than the vanilla initial generals + recruitables available at the start of the campaign, it will be a very costly process because my Esfeditor lags like hell while doing this, but i'm making some progress:

General Maximillian Latour:

Louis Joseph de Bourbon, Prince of Condé:

Work on the mod is slow due to RL issues (my job) but i'm closer to a release. I have managed to make Austria at the start of the campaing 26 generals (some of them custom as I have shown you above)My next step is to do the same for France, and then i'll update the mod even though it wasn't the release I was hoping for (I wanted to release the mod with all the modded factions having lots of starting generals but at this pace if I sticked to this metric I would only release the mod around september).Some pics:General Hoche and the Representant en mission:The Paris Legion:french demi-brigade battalion with uniform from the post 1793 period:french infantry regiment with old royalist uniform:french grenadiers with old royalist uniform:french battalion of national volunteers:<br><br>french volunteer grenadiers:Regiment belge:><br><br>Legion Batave:<br><br>Regiment of Dragoons<br><br>Regiment of Cavalry<br><br>8th regiment of Cavalry (former Cuirassiers du Roi)<br><br><br><br>5th Regiment of Hussars&nbsp;<br><br><br><br>General and staff<br><br>
    Last edited by the new username; July 17, 2021 at 12:13 AM.

Hey all

Do any of you guys know how I can change unit speed ( increase) ?

Try searching in the DB tables if there is anything related to unit speed. I myself do not know because I have never modded that aspect of the units.

Expect a release soon (ETA more or less of 5 days), so far i'm finishing testing the maximum I can of the mod before releasing it. So far so good, only CTDs were laptop performance related as i'm playing with 80 units in a stack.

As it was due, here it is the next version of my modification. This is still in a beta phase, there are things still left to polish and to correct, but I think it is good enough to be released as it is.

KNOWN ISSUES
    -Sometimes you may have CTD when attempting to launch a battle in which Austria takes place. I can't really figure out what causes this crash as i've tested each unit individually and there is no CTD when doing so. Perhaps what could be causing the CTD is a possible conflict between more than two units. It is not a permanent CTD, and it happens very rarely.

- CTD sometimes when AI is executing austria's actions. it is not a permanent crash, and I suspect it would be linked to one of the characters that I moved position in the startpos or one that I added to it. Always create a new save before ending the turn, I don't recommend overwriting the existing save because this CTD will corrupt your save.

- The startpos with more french generals in the startpos is not the default one for this mod, because just with Austrian and French generals (more or less 65 new characters inputed) as you go on playing the AI will corrupt the saves because it will not properly manage the files, I believe it is it gets overwhelmed by the amount of starting characters. I know where these "corruptions" are within a savegame and I fixed one of my testing savegames, but for a person who does not have any experience with modifying startpos.esf it will be one hell of a hassle. So by default the released startpos will be the one with more austrian generals, however I decided to include for those who wish to play with more french generals at their own risk the startpos that has issues, the file is present in the folder "france provisional"

In this startpos you can only play as France, if you play as any other faction the AI will corrupt France and any attempt to then load the savegame will lead into CTD. In order to enjoy a long campaing as France, all you have to do is not let your generals get killed. This is what is causing the corruption of the savegames as the file will not correct itself accordingly (that is, will not remove all the entries of dead added characters to the startpos from the save)upon the death of a general. I had to manually do it myself in the save, but as I said, you need to have some skills to do this using an esf editor. I can help you guys out if you have any difficulty in doing this.

To get around this problem I will have to release separate startpos for each faction I want to have more generals available in the campaign, and I will do this to france posteriorly.

CHANGELOG

Starting period:

Somethings are not completely historical accurate to the starting date, but I have done so because the game cannot portray a shaping of the factions' geopolitical situation progressively as the game plays out. I want the campaign to resemble more or less the fight between a republican France riddled with internal unrest and the reactionary monarchies of europe. I could advance the starting date to 1793, which is year that more accurately matches with the above, but then it would be one less year there would be of the War of the first coalition, and by what I have tested the AI usually takes one year to get his together for a change of blows with the human player so proper action would only begin in 1794.

Because of this you will find inconsistencies with historical facts such as France at the start of 1792 not being a constitutional monarchy, and Austria having as emperor Francis II, which was much more resolute in fighting the french republic than his father Leopold who (who would die in March of 1792).

Unit upkeep has been decreased by a LOT. the modded factions' average unit upkeep cost is perhaps 10. This is because my mod is all about warfare: I see no point in trying to portrait the Revolutionary Wars period by first having to work on your economy (which will take quite some time) before you can have a decent army size. I want to have big armies available right from start so you can start enganging in large warfare early on. If there will be a struggle for the player in the campaing, it will be because he is being invaded by massive enemy armies and has to plan carefully the defence strategy and not because he can't afford the fifth cuirassier unit due to the upkeep being too costly.

Factions:

I have entirely reworked the factions of France, Royalist France and Venice. New units, new textures, new ministers, for france there are extra generals available in the campaign if you decide to use the startpos that has them.

France roster was divided into early units (units you can recruit up until tier 3 barracks or tier 2 city hall), to reflect the continuation of the old royalist army into the republic with the line and cavalry regiments, the artillery and the light infantry battalions, the appearance of the volunteer batallions drawn up from the french departments as a result of the need for more manpower to keep fighting the European Powers, and also some foreign legions such as the Legion Germanique or the Legion Batave.

In a tier 4 barracks and a tier 3 city hall what is being represented is the reform of the french infantry, both regular and light, into demi-brigades. You will no longer be able to recruit volunteer batallions and royalist army units, being all these units replaced by a single unit for line infantry that will be the battalion of the demi-brigade and for light infantry the battalion of the light demi-brigade, with a more standartised uniform.

The Royalist France faction also has the roster divided into two: One part of the roster is meant to represent the royalist insurgents of the Vendée and Brittany with irregular units (all of them have the guerrilla ability), and the other is if the royalist faction actually managed to recapture paris and restore the monarchy and a subsequential reformation of the French army. In other words, in this part of the roster you have present the standard french line infantry regiments, cavalry, light battalions and artillery with a slight different aesthetic from the early republican ones.

In the venetian army I have to add a note: the red uniforms used by the Oltremarini regiments are parade dress that I have decided to include for the sake of unit variety.

Traits and ancillaries:

Generals and characters for me have always been dull in Napoleon or Empire, and you couldn't simply get to attach yourself to them based on traits and ancillaries like you could for example in Med2. I think that due to the time period it is important to distinguish generals by the rank they hold within their countries' army. So that's what I did, I created a rank system using traits and ancillaries that has 3 levels. Generals increase in rank by winning battles. This system is explained in the posts above, with the example of the austrian rank system. The effects of these traits in the gameplay is that they increase your general's stars.

More generals on startpos:

I usually play my campaigns with 40-80 units on a stack and I like to have 7-8 generals on a stack to simulate a chain of command of brigades and divisions within a stack. In order to best represent this I added more generals to be available apart from the 3-4 generals present in the map when starting a campaign. This was one of the reasons for me to come up with ranks for generals, because if I have plenty of them at the start they at least should be distinguishable from one another.

To install, simply drag the contents of the file you downloaded into your data folder. Do overwrite the files if it asks so. To play with more french generals in the campaing, go to the "france provisional" folder, copy the startpos and paste it in the "LME_1792_Campaign" folder inside the "campaigns" folder. Any issue you find please report so I can have a look into it.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/dzajm...ation.rar/file

EDIT: Forgot about something important. In order to the modded ship textures to actually show up you may need the respective folder. download the file below and extract to data:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qtt5r...odels.rar/file

Credits go to the Imperial Splendour team for letting me use some of their assets:
    -General sash
    -Infantry artillery model that is used aboard the ships
    -French grenadier plate

Credits to the Preussens gloria mod team for the texture of the prussian grenadier guard mitre cap.

Some media:

[url=https://postimg.cc/WhLLFxbN][/url

Last edited by the new username; August 24, 2021 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the new username View Post
    Do a fresh install, or try to launch via the launcher. I played with my alterations for a while and had no CTD upon launch, so it couldn't be a pack issue
    So I just did a fresh install. Reinstalled NTW from nothing, installed LME4, then 4.2, then your submod.
    Still getting CtDs. I'm also seeing the LME logo. And I'm starting with the LME launcher.

Odd. I'm going to uninstall NTW and do the same steps as you did to see if I have any issue. I'll shortly give back some info. Could be something I couldn't see to this day.

EDIT: I think i've found the problem. Try following these steps:

Do a fresh install > launch NTW > Install LME4, 4.2 add-on, 4.2 cumultative patch and the LME user script add-on > Launch the mod through the launcher just to see if everything goes okay > drag the all the files into the data folder, accept the overriding of the existing files > open the launcher > Below the "Manually edit the user script" button, you have one that says "start NTW manually". Click here to launch LME with my submod.

Now here's what I discovered: after launching by following the above steps everything went OK, but then when i attempted to start through the button "1792 Campaign" in the launcher it gave me a CTD, and any attempt to then launch the game be it either from the manual start button or the 1792 campaign button resulted in CTD.

Please try to start the game using the method I described and tell me if you can sucessfully boot up NTW.
    Last edited by the new username; August 26, 2021 at 09:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast