Thread: [AWARD]Basileos Leandros I for Phalera

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default [AWARD]Basileos Leandros I for Phalera

Phalera
    Awarded for exceptional input or other significant contributions to non-TW sections of the boards.

Basileos Leandros I for Phalera
    Someone please ban me from the Curia, I'm on fire these days!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ok so, putting aside my unfathomable ego, I'm proud today to introduce you yet another worthy member for a Phalera Large Award, the Extraordinary Basileos Leandros I! Yes I know, after giving up a part of the site to the Turks, another part to the Japanese and the last half of bit remained to the Romans, we didn't have much left to give to this Romanian Overlord, but as they say "a Holy light lies in the East!", so let's just deal with this and do what is due.

Who is Leandros? I'm pretty sure most of you already know of him, if you don't, probably, you are simply too young, since Leandros is one of the eldest active TWC users, having registered here over 15 years ago. This in itself is a big achievement worthy of recognition (one day he'll get his 10 years award, if he finally decides to listen to my advises on how to successfully spam the fora and avoid being banned in the process ), but of course this is just the background, since Leandros has contributed in many ways over the years to the site, in particular with his writing skills.

I'll start with his main work, A Sword Made of Letters, this novel has been in development for over 50 months, has produced 40 (yes 40!) chapters and has close to 25.000 views (easily one of the most read works ever in the Writers' Study). As far as I'm concerned considering what an exceptional contribution to the non-TW sections of the boards is, this already qualifies him for the Award.. of course I know that you are pretending something more before giving up the last part of the free TWC to this dude, so please feel free to have a look at his short stories, Clouds of Smoke (4 parts) and Night Train (3 parts).

Not convinced yet? Well he's been posting extensively in many other areas of TWC, honestly if I have to think of someone who's representing the typical all around contributor (and I'm not telling about his Modding related contributions, since they do not pertain here), Leandros is a sort of paragon, having ranged form the Vestigia Vetustatis to The Basement to the Other Games section.

As for the VV, his contributions star back from 2005; here is a list of all the threads he started over the years (provided that the search link is working! ). This is the list of his threads in The Basement, but IMO he gave his best in the Other Games section, where he maintained various threads, in particular his Battefield series, with Battlefield 3 standing up, totaling over 7000 replies and more than 200.000 views.

Still in doubt? Well one thing he certainly does is to start and maintain threads that with the time become pillars of this community (like with the Battlefield 3 thread above), in particular he was the one who started the Romanian Fortress (a chat thread in Romanian, where they plotted for the take over of TWC since late 2005!); please notice that he is still the only listed Local Moderator in the Foreign Discussion forum, which I suppose means that he is still taking care of the (certainly limited, but still..) moderation of that thread. He's also behind the 10 Years at TWC thread in the Symposium, which he started to celebrate his 10th year and that now has become the main thread for where people goes to talk and communicate about the 10 years award.

Last but not the least, he's been posting in the PH&A quite a lot and I'm one of those who benefited the most from his suggestions, he actually gave me a very sound advice last year that made me change my mind over a very important issue and that probably saved my family life.

So.. what to say more? As I said in the opening, I consider his novel to be a work worthy this Award by itself, but since I wanted to somewhat celebrate the long lasting and continuous contribution of Leandros, I provided you with a general overview of his extensive contributions in many non-TW sections of the board. He's been active on this site for so long that he certainly deserves a major recognition and I believe that in the light of his all around and excellent writing contribution he's deserving a Phalera.

In case you dare to not to agree, my Henchman is ready to challenge you to death!
    Spoiler for open at your risk, serious brain damage granted!

Flinn,
    of the Church
    of the Latter Day Dude
    Last edited by Flinn; July 28, 2020 at 08:56 AM. Reason: damn, learn to check for typos before pressing "post a new thread", Flinn
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Default Re: [AWARD]Basileos Leandros I for Phalera

Easy support
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Definitely supporting this one.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Gentlemen, I am most honoured for the nomination. Thank you very much.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Flinn forgot to mention that Leandros is also helping keep the tourism sub-forum alive.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

In 2017, Basileos Leandros I began Swords Made of Letters, and the last main chapter was posted on July 14 this year. This is a long-term project in which Baseilos Leandros invested time, creativity and historical knowledge.

If you click on the heading 'Views' at the top of the column, you'll see that Swords Made of Letters is the fourth most-viewed piece in the Creative Writing section - 4th out of over 900 pieces in the CW section going back to 2008. I'm not suggesting that the number of views justifies an award by itself. Popularity may indicate quality, but are there more signs of the quality of this contribution?

Yes, there are. Readers have described this story as "quite the thriller" (Scottish King), intriguing (Tigellinus), using description well and making the reader want to know what happens next (Caillagh de Bodemloze) and as deploying secrets, mysteries and hints about characters to great effect (various readers). If you visit the Writers' Study Hall of Fame, and look at the MCWC Winners, you'll see how rare it is for a story to be the first-place winner of the MCWC twice - and that Swords Made of Letters has that distinction.

I believe that Basileos Leandros I has made an exceptional contribution and I support Flinn's nomination.
    Last edited by Alwyn; July 29, 2020 at 01:35 AM.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    Flinn forgot to mention that Leandros is also helping keep the tourism sub-forum alive.
    Damn, that's true! I forgot to mention his Visit Romania thread, another of his long lasting works (over 9 years and a half and more than 155k views!)

I'm getting old, sorry dudes
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    In 2017, Basileos Leandros I began Swords Made of Letters, and the last main chapter was posted on July 14 this year. This is a long-term project in which Baseilos Leandros invested time, creativity and historical knowledge.

If you click on the heading 'Views' at the top of the column, you'll see that Swords Made of Letters is the fourth most-viewed piece in the Creative Writing section - 4th out of over 900 pieces in the CW section going back to 2008. I'm not suggesting that the number of views justifies an award by itself. Popularity may indicate quality, but are there more signs of the quality of this contribution?

Yes, there are. Readers have described this story as "quite the thriller" (Scottish King), intriguing (Tigellinus), using description well and making the reader want to know what happens next (Caillagh de Bodemloze) and as deploying secrets, mysteries and hints about characters to great effect (various readers). If you visit the Writers' Study Hall of Fame, and look at the MCWC Winners, you'll see how rare it is for a story to be the first-place winner of the MCWC twice - and that Swords Made of Letters has that distinction.

I believe that Basileos Leandros I has made an exceptional contribution and I support Flinn's nomination.
    Alright then, I'm doubling down on my support, and also unsheathing my rapier sword and pointing it at anyone who disagrees. Unguard, knave!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Readers have described this story as... using description well and making the reader want to know what happens next (Caillagh de Bodemloze)...
    How can I be expected to comment if people go around stealing my opinions and posting them before I get here?!

Swords Made of Letters is one of the threads in the Writers' Study I try to stay up to date with, even if I don't have time to post a comment.

Basileos Leandros I is one of the WS's established writers; he's one of the people who return without fail to post new chapters and help to keep the place going - and his writing is well worth reading, in my view. And, as Flinn has said, he doesn't only post in the WS, he makes valuable contributions across the site.

I also support this nomination.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Support!

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Support!
    Oh yeah? Two can play at this game, pal. I support Akar's support. How about that, hot shot?

The fact that Leandros is keeping an entire sub-forum alive is proof enough that this nomination needs to be successfully passed, expeditiously so.

Support!

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Support!
    I oppose this support, but support the motion.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    I oppose this support, but support the motion.
    *giggles*
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Moved to vote at OP request.

Vote here.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan