Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: California Abandons Racial Equality, but Bans Discrimination on Hair Type. Oh Man.

Default Re: California Abandons Racial Equality, but Bans Discrimination on Hair Type. Oh Man.

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    No no, don't worry, no one agrees with me and I'm a minority of one. If it makes him feel better about himself, where's the harm? If all he can cling on to is a logical fallacy then let him.
    What logical fallacy did he use?
    The Armenian Issue

Default Re: California Abandons Racial Equality, but Bans Discrimination on Hair Type. Oh Man.

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    I was silly enough to debate with someone who thinks they are 100% right always, confuses facts and theories, ignores their own sources and when confronted with irrefutable arguments incorrectly uses terms like logical fallacy. Was that not obvious?

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Argumentum ad populum. Spare me the semantics debate you've no doubt prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderwegger View Post
    I was silly enough to debate with someone who thinks they are 100% right always, confuses facts and theories, ignores their own sources and when confronted with irrefutable arguments incorrectly uses terms like logical fallacy. Was that not obvious?
    Where did I ignore my sources? The only one ignoring them is you.

Argumentum ad populum. Spare me the semantics debate you've no doubt prepared.
    Given the saltiness of the response I can only conclude the lack of merit in your defense.
    The Armenian Issue

Given the saltiness of the response I can only conclude the lack of merit in your defense.
    Because it's rather obvious. He's asking to see if anyone else shares my views in the hope that no one does which would allows him to make an appeal to majority. In fact he already attempted to make such an appeal even though someone did voice support for my position. This is a debate, not a stage performance, you're not supposed to appeal to the audience for support.

Because it's rather obvious. He's asking to see if anyone else shares my views in the hope that no one does which would allows him to make an appeal to majority. In fact he already attempted to make such an appeal even though someone did voice support for my position. This is a debate, not a stage performance, you're not supposed to appeal to the audience for support.
    I don't really see him doing that but sure. Why is he not seeing if there is anyone who is willing to provide some attempt at logic and reason in opposition to the gender pay gap idea? You seem to be putting too much credit on your arguments...
    The Armenian Issue

I don't really see him doing that but sure. Why is he not seeing if there is anyone who is willing to provide some attempt at logic and reason in opposition to the gender pay gap idea? You seem to be putting too much credit on your arguments...
    I've provided sources and he has not addressed them.
    You're not seeing him making an appeal to majority? I'll put it in one nice big list:
    Does anyone else believe the gender pay gap doesn’t exist?
    Asks if it's just me.
    Thus far it’s crickets. Kind of hoping Common and no one else agrees. I like outcomes easily predictable. Confirms my understanding and the world are in cahoots.
    If it is indeed just me it means his understanding and the world are in cahoots. I cannot be right if I'm alone/in a minority.
    Still no takers on gender pay gap being debunked. Not even a minority. Just a one. The littlest number.
    Again implies that if no one else voices support my position is somehow made less valid. (Nevermind that someone did and he ignored)

This is herd mentality. If the rest of the herd jumps off of a bridge, I suppose I will too, for they are many and I am but one, so they must know best.

I've provided sources and he has not addressed them.
    You're not seeing him making an appeal to majority? I'll put it in one nice big list:
    Asks if it's just me.
    If it is indeed just me it means his understanding and the world are in cahoots. I cannot be right if I'm alone/in a minority.
    Again implies that if no one else voices support my position is somehow made less valid. (Nevermind that someone did and he ignored)
    This is herd mentality. If the rest of the herd jumps off of a bridge, I suppose I will too, for they are many and I am but one, so they must know best.
    Oh, he addressed them alright. Just not in the way you'd like. There is no herd here. Just him disregarding your opinion for basing it on opinion pieces.
    The Armenian Issue

Oh, he addressed them alright. Just not in the way you'd like. There is no herd here. Just him disregarding your opinion for basing it on opinion pieces.
    Opinion pieces based on sources, it's not billy bob from out in the woods ranting about the libs.

Opinion pieces based on sources, it's not billy bob from out in the woods ranting about the libs.
    There is no study linked in the Forbes article that suggests your opinion. It doesn't go beyond making the claim. Same with the CBS article. It merely points at some of the life choices of women. A lot of what it talks about are forced choices due to roles the society loads on women. It mostly disregards the disparity in high level jobs. Same with the WSJ article. They're not really the kind of articles you're making them to be.
    The Armenian Issue

There is no study linked in the Forbes article that suggests your opinion. It doesn't go beyond making the claim. Same with the CBS article. It merely points at some of the life choices of women. A lot of what it talks about are forced choices due to roles the society loads on women. It mostly disregards the disparity in high level jobs. Same with the WSJ article. They're not really the kind of articles you're making them to be.
    Sigh. Yes, society forces women to work less overtime, choose degrees that result in jobs that don't pay as much, don't work as much on weekends etc. Nothing is every anyone's fault, not event he choices they make. It's always society.
    Nevermind that in some age groups women make more money than male counterparts.

Sigh. Yes, society forces women to work less overtime, choose degrees that result in jobs that don't pay as much, don't work as much on weekends etc. Nothing is every anyone's fault, not event he choices they make. It's always society.
    Nevermind that in some age groups women make more money than male counterparts.
    In many ways, yes. What you're championing there is a very ignorant point of view. Completely ignores reality of our society. Very easy to champion for as a man, sure. That's why you'd hide behind such findings based on very limited scopes.
    The Armenian Issue

In many ways, yes. What you're championing there is a very ignorant point of view. Completely ignores reality of our society. Very easy to champion for as a man, sure. That's why you'd hide behind such findings based on very limited scopes.
    I mean, one of the articles I provided was written by a woman, but sure. Very expected and generic response.

I mean, one of the articles I provided was written by a woman, but sure. Very expected and generic response.
    Indeed, very expected and generic response. You would be religiously against people expectedly and generically pointing out that the author of an article critical of Israel to be Israeli but here you are making that point for a woman. Women are not immune to making bad arguments for wrong positions.
    The Armenian Issue

Indeed, very expected and generic response. You would be religiously against people expectedly and generically pointing out that the author of an article critical of Israel to be Israeli but here you are making that point for a woman. Women are not immune to making bad arguments for wrong positions.
    I only pointed it out because you basically said that my opinion is invalid because I'm not a woman. And yes, you didn't say it literally, but it's quite obviously implied.

I only pointed it out because you basically said that my opinion is invalid because I'm not a woman. And yes, you didn't say it literally, but it's quite obviously implied.
    Yes, I didn't say it, since that would invalidate my opinion as well. You should address what people say, not what you wish they said. Yours was a cheap point to make. Lets leave it at that.
    The Armenian Issue

Yes, I didn't say it, since that would invalidate my opinion as well.
    Yes, it certainly would. It's a good thing that that wasn't what you meant, right? wink.
    So then, just out of curiosity, why did you mention my gender?

You should address what people say, not what you wish they said. Yours was a cheap point to make. Lets leave it at that.
    What, I should address your argument that women have no agency over their own actions and every choice that they make is society's fault? And how you've ignored my mention of women in certain age groups making more money than men, which contradicts your narrative?

Yes, it certainly would. It's a good thing that that wasn't what you meant, right? wink.
    So then, just out of curiosity, why did you mention my gender?
    What, I should address your argument that women have no agency over their own actions and every choice that they make is society's fault? And how you've ignored my mention of women in certain age groups making more money than men, which contradicts your narrative?
    Why I mentioned men making such ignorant statements was quite self-evident. Not much more can be said about that if you don't get it and I'll leave it at that. Feel free to banter about that... I didn't say that women have no control whatsoever over their own actions. It would be, however, extremely ignorant to argue that they have the same level of control as men do. Just because you managed to find an article that frames some data in a convenient and very limited manner doesn't really make up a holy grail for you. That's as much as one can say about an article hidden behind a pay wall.
    The Armenian Issue

Why I mentioned men making such ignorant statements was quite self-evident. Not much more can be said about that if you don't get it and I'll leave it at that. Feel free to banter about that...
    Lol. If I make a statement on the subject, my gender is relevant. If a woman makes the same statement, her gender is irrelevant. I'm glad that we've had this conversation.
    I didn't say that women have no control whatsoever over their own actions. It would be, however, extremely ignorant to argue that they have the same level of control as men do.
    Why?
    Just because you managed to find an article that frames some data in a convenient and very limited manner doesn't really make up a holy grail for you. That's as much as one can say about an article hidden behind a pay wall.
    Here's a non-paywalled article talking about the same thing.

Lol. If I make a statement on the subject, my gender is relevant. If a woman makes the same statement, her gender is irrelevant. I'm glad that we've had this conversation.
    Didn't say or imply either of those but sure. You've been banking on things I didn't argue from the get go.

Why?
    Would be same as arguing that Earth is flat.

Here's a non-paywalled article talking about the same thing.
    Not sure how an accessible link changes what I said in the first half there. Something tells me you clearly didn't read the link beyond the title as well.
    The Armenian Issue