Thread: Battles do not load after data files are unpacked.

Default Battles do not load after data files are unpacked.

I'm trying to mod the game, and to do that I've read that you need to unpack the .pack files with the unpacker tool Creative Assembly has provided along with the game. So, I unpacked the files, and decided to hop into the game. Note that I haven't edited any files, I just unpacked them into the data folder.
    So, the game runs fine. But, when my army engages with another army in a battle, the battle will not load and M2TW will crash, saying "an unspecified error has occured". I've done some searching online of the issue and found two solutions, the first one not working and the second one i'm unsure about.

1. "descr_geography_new.txt" and "descr_geography_new.db" in the data folder need to be deleted
    After unpacking, the two files above had to be deleted for the game to run as said in the unpacker read-me. Deleted the two files in the data folder, the game still crashes when starting a battle.

2. The Game needs more RAM to load the battle.
    I've read that M2TW is allocated only 2GB of memory. The unpacked files probably add a lot more data to the game and need more memory to be run I believe. Is there any way to allocate more memory to the game?

Any help guys?

Default Re: Battles do not load after data files are unpacked.

What does your error log say?

And for 2. pls ask in a discord of a mod or on moddb since we are not allowed to talk about the solution for that here...

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Battles do not load after data files are unpacked.

And that's one of the reasons why I wrote the tutorial on how to unpack the game outside the game directory. And designed a mod set up.

My suggestions:

1. Run this tutorial from step 3 onward to take care of the virtual store issue
    2. Delete the unpacked files and folders - delete files in the data folder, eg battle_config.txt, battle_event_subtitles_lookup.txt etc. Your data folder should only contain the following directories, delete all other directories:
    animations
    cursors
    fmv
    sounds
    world
    3. Install my mod folder, do your editing in there. Modding in the original directory is fraught with nasty pitfalls.
    4. Unpack outside the game, simply copy files into the mod folder to edit them. That way you always have original files at your disposal. Also easy to delete in total if you need disk space.