Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Review of EB 2 from a Long-Time Fan

Default Re: A Review of EB 2 from a Long-Time Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    That's true. It could be overwhelming for a new player, though, especially someone not that familiar with the history of the time. I have noticed that it is tough to get really good characters, but the KH economy becomes really strong after taking just a province or two so that does offset that. It is tough getting the hang of all the Greek traits, but after reading up a bit it becomes pretty self-explanatory. Just have to remember to check the trait updates and keep as good a track of that stuff as possible.
    But it is not quite that obvious with KH. Depending on if you succeed or fail at a stage of life, you have chances to get a whole bunch of traits that the game won't even tell you about least you check the character immediately.

I think there is a few of KH let's plays on youtube, Hayasdan would maybe be more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    KH is a big dish to eat through, so much I kinda gave up writing a complete guide for the traits (it is usable in its current state). However if you need any tips and strats to optimize through a trait line, just hit me up here and I will be glad to help. Also, I strongly encourage you to strongly encourage whoever is watching to learn how to read the descr text files. That will allow for much more informed decisions that, in my opinion, makes the mod much more enjoyable to play.
    Maybe I am crazy, but I think that one should not have to go and dig into game's files to properly enjoy it, I am really not a fan of this aspect of MTW2 mods, where they go to insane lengths of making you read and read and understand wacky mechanics that feel forced on a rather rudimentary game. I don't know it just breaks the smoothness and the loop that makes TW fun. I say this as someone who reads and listens to history books all the time and has enjoyed other more complex strategy games(but they were made so from ground up by the developers). The family member system was simply not made to perform the politics of a Roman or Carthaginian republic and it shows when you play.

In fact I wish EB had some kind of "light" version that resembles more the classic vanilla loop but still remains some basic EB elements, and ofc the map, units etc... Cause otherwise, I think only a game made as EB from ground up would really be good and function nicely, without reading books of a goddamn trait system.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; July 26, 2020 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    I think there is a few of KH let's plays on youtube, Hayasdan would maybe be more interesting.

Maybe I am crazy, but I think that one should not have to go and dig into game's files to properly enjoy it, I am really not a fan of this aspect of MTW2 mods, where they go to insane lengths of making you read and read and understand wacky mechanics that feel forced on a rather rudimentary game. I don't know it just breaks the smoothness and the loop that makes TW fun. I say this as someone who reads and listens to history books all the time and has enjoyed other more complex strategy games(but they were made so from ground up by the developers). The family member system was simply not made to perform the politics of a Roman or Carthaginian republic and it shows when you play.

In fact I wish EB had some kind of "light" version that resembles more the classic vanilla loop but still remains some basic EB elements, and ofc the map, units etc... Cause otherwise, I think only a game made as EB from ground up would really be good and function nicely, without reading books of a goddamn trait system.
    As a person who routinely digs into the .edu files and tinkers with some of them, understanding how the traits work in this game can be complicated. I just opened up export_descr_character_traits.txt for the first time in a year, and it's still a bit of a curve remembering how everything fit together.

I think that what you're asking is something that maybe a dedicated fan who is better on focusing on tasks than myself can do. To either make a nuts and bolts guide, or a KH traits submod.

Heh... I usually don't care about the best possible trait combinations on my FMs as long as their traits aren't so bad that they're sabotaging the campaign. I find it quite entertaining to read what a bunch of bipolar debased rejects of humanity is running those pixelated empires.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Satapatiš View Post
    Heh... I usually don't care about the best possible trait combinations on my FMs as long as their traits aren't so bad that they're sabotaging the campaign.
    Ah, a non-Hellenic player! I also enjoy sometimes playing factions in which a carefully raised FM won't turn into a complete debauched dreg in the interval between their 16th and 28th birthday.

It is incredible how many negative personality traits the Hellenes have. Your celtic warlord being a quite possibly psychopathic drunkard? Eh.

Your Hellenistic noble can't manage gossip very well and is, in general, a bit of a C-Unit? RIOT!

Ah, a non-Hellenic player! I also enjoy sometimes playing factions in which a carefully raised FM won't turn into a complete debauched dreg in the interval between their 16th and 28th birthday.

It is incredible how many negative personality traits the Hellenes have. Your celtic warlord being a quite possibly psychopathic drunkard? Eh.

Your Hellenistic noble can't manage gossip very well and is, in general, a bit of a C-Unit? RIOT!
    Well, on my last play I had them all dumped at the capital along with their hetairas, pet idiots and evil mothers-in-law and only called them to wars between their orgiastic parties. The chosen one was traveling between cities and filling the queues and it all turned rather well.... Except for the FM used this way eventually getting multiple split personalities from doing everything.

If the Roman Empire managed with this kind of people at the helm, so can I!
    Last edited by Satapatiš; July 28, 2020 at 10:05 AM.

Since more people wanted a Hayastan LP/AAR than a KH one, I decided to oblige! I also did a short early game guide/background/etc for newer players to get familiar with Hayastan in EB2.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...7#post15937927
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Quote Originally Posted by Satapatiš View Post
    I find it quite entertaining to read what a bunch of bipolar debased rejects of humanity is running those pixelated empires.
    You like "colorful" characters? May I introduce the exceedingly dangerous magical artifact known as the Spear of Achilles?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    You like "colorful" characters? May I introduce the exceedingly dangerous magical artifact known as the Spear of Achilles?
    Considering it is available only to Hellenic characters, that's just Hellenic Premium Package.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    Unfortunately, my usual Greek degenerates are faithless, debaucherous, and highly cynical tax farmers. They simply don't meet prerequisites for getting this fine souvenir.

Considering it is available only to Hellenic characters, that's just Hellenic Premium Package.
    You're looking at this from the wrong side. All Hellenic FMs want to be the next Alexanders, they just approach the goal backwards.
    Last edited by Satapatiš; July 29, 2020 at 05:06 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12