Thread: Epirus Early Game Guide

Default Epirus Early Game Guide

Epirus is an incredibly fun faction, but many folks say it has a hard start. That can certainly be true as you're tangling with Rome from turn 1 and AI Rome benefits from a wide variety of advantages. But it doesn't need to be! The trick to beating Rome is to defeat them quickly, and specifically, to capture the city of Roma. Here's a step-by-step guide to do it. While every playthrough may be slightly different, the this should work in most games.

Turn 1:
    Trade with Athens, Aetolians, Antigonis, Ardaiei
    Move Phrrhus to the bridge bordering Consentia
    Recruit 2 slingers, 1 pike, 1 peltast

--> Rome: Primas Inter Para attacks Pyrrhus (player wins the battle by holding the bridge and circling around with elephants and slingers - 80 casualties)
    Legion I moves to Roma, recruits

Turn 2:
    Pyrrhus. Promote proven leader skill track, attack Consentia (player wins the battle with 23 casualties, loot the city). Promote army tradition Spearmen. Hire mercenary hoplites, swords, and cavalry. Recruit 3 levy spearmen.
    Amphidamos. Recruit 1 pikemen, 2 thesprotians.
    Move fleet to Appolonia, recruit transport.
    Trade with Ligurgia.
    Turn taxes off in Italia. Marry Pyrrhus.

--> Rome: Rome moves Legion I toward Taras, recruits general at Beneventum
    Ligurgia declared war on Etruscans.

Turn 3:
    Pyrrhus moves to the bridge, recruit 3 levies.
    Amphidamos boards fleet and sales toward Taras.
    Organize games in Macedonia.

--> Rome: stays put. Carthage moves fleet to Ionium, declares war on Syracuse.

Turn 4:
    Merge armies to Pyrrhus, send extra levies part way back toward Taras (still within range of Beneventum. Attack Legion I near Beneventum (retreats)
    Fleet to Asculum, raid, hire one persuit thihemiolia

--> Rome: Legion I attacks Pyrrhus with garrison reinforcing (player wins battle, 490 casualties). Asculum admiral and garrison fleet fights (player wins)
    Etruria besieges Roma (this isn't really relevant, since they're going to lose without inflicting many casualties)

Turn 5:
    Pyrrhus Legion I surviving general North of Beneventum, then moves to back toward Benevuntum within reinforcing range.
    Fleet to Arimium, hire 1 liburna, attack Roman admiral and garrison fleet (player wins), then raid.
    Recruit an army in Consentia and recruit 1 levy

--> Rome defends the city against Etruria, Venetii declares war on Rome.

Turn 6:
    Amphidamos takes Beneventum with Pyrrhus reinforcing (99 casualties), loot.
    Pyrrhus attacks and captures Roma.

Default Re: Epirus Early Game Guide

He isn't attacking, the guy holds Consentia.
    Also I can't recruit pikes and peltast? I don't even have the building to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptolemaios Soter View Post
    Epirus is an incredibly fun faction, but many folks say it has a hard start. That can certainly be true as you're tangling with Rome from turn 1 and AI Rome benefits from a wide variety of advantages. But it doesn't need to be! The trick to beating Rome is to defeat them quickly, and specifically, to capture the city of Roma. Here's a step-by-step guide to do it. While every playthrough may be slightly different, the this should work in most games.

Turn 1:
    Trade with Athens, Aetolians, Antigonis, Ardaiei
    Move Phrrhus to the bridge bordering Consentia
    Recruit 2 slingers, 1 pike, 1 peltast

--> Rome: Primas Inter Para attacks Pyrrhus (player wins the battle by holding the bridge and circling around with elephants and slingers - 80 casualties)
    Legion I moves to Roma, recruits

Turn 2:
    Pyrrhus. Promote proven leader skill track, attack Consentia (player wins the battle with 23 casualties, loot the city). Promote army tradition Spearmen. Hire mercenary hoplites, swords, and cavalry. Recruit 3 levy spearmen.
    Amphidamos. Recruit 1 pikemen, 2 thesprotians.
    Move fleet to Appolonia, recruit transport.
    Trade with Ligurgia.
    Turn taxes off in Italia. Marry Pyrrhus.

--> Rome: Rome moves Legion I toward Taras, recruits general at Beneventum
    Ligurgia declared war on Etruscans.

Turn 3:
    Pyrrhus moves to the bridge, recruit 3 levies.
    Amphidamos boards fleet and sales toward Taras.
    Organize games in Macedonia.

--> Rome: stays put. Carthage moves fleet to Ionium, declares war on Syracuse.

Turn 4:
    Merge armies to Pyrrhus, send extra levies part way back toward Taras (still within range of Beneventum. Attack Legion I near Beneventum (retreats)
    Fleet to Asculum, raid, hire one persuit thihemiolia

--> Rome: Legion I attacks Pyrrhus with garrison reinforcing (player wins battle, 490 casualties). Asculum admiral and garrison fleet fights (player wins)
    Etruria besieges Roma (this isn't really relevant, since they're going to lose without inflicting many casualties)

Turn 5:
    Pyrrhus Legion I surviving general North of Beneventum, then moves to back toward Benevuntum within reinforcing range.
    Fleet to Arimium, hire 1 liburna, attack Roman admiral and garrison fleet (player wins), then raid.
    Recruit an army in Consentia and recruit 1 levy

--> Rome defends the city against Etruria, Venetii declares war on Rome.

Turn 6:
    Amphidamos takes Beneventum with Pyrrhus reinforcing (99 casualties), loot.
    Pyrrhus attacks and captures Roma.
    Okay. I tried it on Normal difficulty, it kinda worked.
    But anything is possible on normal difficulty. At Hard, rome gathers both of generals near beneventum and starts recruiting in castle stance. Then he attacks with two half stacks.

On hard it is different.

Syracuse, Epiros, and Pergamon are very difficult.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehoos View Post
    On hard it is different.

Syracuse, Epiros, and Pergamon are very difficult.
    Syracuse is difficult even at normal.
    But I don't agree on Pergamon.
    You just need to rush nikomedia capture and loot and then rush the athaneai(the black sea region next to nikomedia) and liberate.
    Afterwards just turtle and wait for openings. Once you capture Rhodos and Ephesus, game is over basically.

I agree on Epirus being very difficult at hard difficulties for every single faction around you declares war on you no matter what you do. I managed several times to destroy rome by using everything I got and liberating the entire italy only to find out that I was kicked out of greece. Then you find yourself in a deep hole and restart campaign.

If Rhodes and Athens declare war on you early as Pergamon you are finished
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.