Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SUBMOD] Revised Victory Conditions and Chapters

Default Re: [SUBMOD] Revised Victory Conditions and Chapters

Black_Rider's Avatar Ordinarius

Great idea, for a mod, I really like the idea for more grounded victory conditions for all nations.

And If i can give you small suggestion... don't focus on chapters mission too much... focus on victory conditions instead, they are far more important for many people.

This seems very promising, to be honest seeing this integrated into the main mod in the future would be great.

All playable factions are done! Get v1.5 from the link above!

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Very cool! I haven't tied one of these yet, but I will in the future for sure. I'm currently in a 200+ turn Arverni campaign and I'm not too far away from getting the vanilla military victory conditions.

Do you own Attila? The only reason I ask is because they have pretty solid victory conditions that might be a nice point of reference for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead*Man*Wilson View Post
    Very cool! I haven't tied one of these yet, but I will in the future for sure. I'm currently in a 200+ turn Arverni campaign and I'm not too far away from getting the vanilla military victory conditions.

Do you own Attila? The only reason I ask is because they have pretty solid victory conditions that might be a nice point of reference for you.
    I don't own Attila. Due to the nature of the startpos file, I am also constrained by what CA put into the game for R2TW, except for tweaking numbers. For example, if Victory Condition #1 is OWN_N_PROVINCES_INCLUDING, I can modify "N" and which provinces are included, but I cannot change it to OWN_N_REGIONS or UNITS or "win N battles."

The one change I've wanted in DEI from the beginning, thank god someone made it. Eager to try it for myself, can't wait for steam release.

Look forward to seeing you do more factions (if you do intend to of course). I usually make up my own objectives but I've really wanted more customized side objectives. I know another mod did Rome and I loved that but it was a while ago now, good on ya for the hard work mate!

Great work Olmsted!!! I have a question, will you do a shorter victory conditions for all factions? example 30 regions, 3 of 6 provinces etc.
    Thank you for the mod and the hard work

All factions are now done. I do not plan to do a “short campaign” mod, but not every faction should have to basically paint the map to win.

The way I have set it up, for most factions, is to make military victory a slightly more sane, less obnoxious version of the original conditions. Economic victory is slightly shorter, but you need to control a source for each trade resource. So some factions will have an easier time than others. Cultural victory encourages building a stable “heartland” for most factions, or reclaiming their “homeland”, or, rarely, eliminating cultural rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by Livin La Vida Loca View Post
    The one change I've wanted in DEI from the beginning, thank god someone made it. Eager to try it for myself, can't wait for steam release.
    It is up on Steam.

Great, can you give us link to a Steam version ?

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Rider View Post
    Great, can you give us link to a Steam version ?
    Now my Steam link is working!
    Last edited by Olmsted; July 23, 2020 at 07:10 PM.

So, for the next version...

I am working on making the Economic Victory Condition more practicable. To that end, I am going to add ways for factions to control sources of certain "very hard to reach, unless you conquer the entire map" trade materials (leather, spices, silk, amber). This is important because the Economic Victory Condition is binary. The only way to win is to control a source - Edit: or import - of ALL 21 trade resources. Obviously, for some factions, that means you basically have to conquer the entire map in order to win this way, which effectively makes it a military campaign. While this is "Total War", that's not very elegant...

I will employ a similar mechanic that is already employed for Horses.

Thus, rom_HELLENIC_public_trader_3 (Large Market) and rom_BARBARIAN_public_trader_3 (Local Market) will now require Silk as a resource in order to build it. The faction can acquire this necessary resource through trade with another faction which is producing Silk (e.g. the Seleukidai). Once the Large/Local Market is complete, then the building will produce 1 Silk. Thus, a player in Spain will now own a source for Silk, without having to conquer Mesopotamia or points further East. It won't produce enough Silk to make for profitable trading by the Spanish player, but it will allow them to achieve the Economic Victory Condition. Edit: spread Silks further across the map. So, now a British faction trading with Spain can get access to Silk.

I am planning something similar for Leather, Spices, and Amber. Once I have done that, I can adjust the other Economic Victory conditions to a level that makes an Economic Victory a meaningful achievement.
    Last edited by Olmsted; July 25, 2020 at 09:49 PM.

That's not true. You don't need to actually own the resource. You just need to be either importing or exporting it.

Start a Carthage game and you'll have 9 of the 21 done. Drop the Egypt trade route and it'll go down to 7.

(Great mod btw and your ideas for the resources especially Silk is better than what we have now).

Quote Originally Posted by Lebanese Dude View Post
    That's not true. You don't need to actually own the resource. You just need to be either importing or exporting it.

Start a Carthage game and you'll have 9 of the 21 done. Drop the Egypt trade route and it'll go down to 7.
    Thank you for clarifying this - I learned the same thing independently while testing my changes this afternoon. I had made an error in a previous campaign, where I thought I had an amber trade route, but I did not. Rather than looking more carefully to determine that none of the German tribes with whom I was trading actually had amber..., I assumed the mechanic worked differently.

I still intend to go forward with the changes, because I still like the idea of more resources spreading through resource chains like the horses, salt, and trained slaves do.

Can this submod be added to an ongoing campaign?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast