Thread: [SUBMOD] Revised Victory Conditions and Chapters

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default [SUBMOD] Revised Victory Conditions and Chapters

Download v2.0 - Compatible with DeI 1.2.7b

Also available from the Steam Workshop!

This will be a work in progress. I am very interested in your feedback, either here, or on Discord (Q_Sertorius#0164).

General Principles:
    1. Victory Conditions should guide the player, but not dictate every action.
    2. Victory Conditions should be achievable, but not easy.
    3. Chapters should guide the player, but not dictate every action.
    4. Chapters should be achievable, but not easy.
    5. Chapter rewards should be meaningful. In general, completing all the secondary objectives is as rewarding as completing the overall chapter. More useful or more difficult objectives give higher rewards.
    6. There has to be enough progression between chapters to enable the player to have a reasonable chance to complete all the secondary objectives before the primary objective is complete. Thus, a primary objective for a chapter should NOT be "Own 20 units" while the secondary objective is to control 2 provinces. Logically, the player will almost certainly have 20 units well before she controls 2 provinces. Similarly, if completing chapter 1 requires holding 4 provinces, then chapter 2 should not have a primary objective of "Own 20 units", because the player will almost certainly automatically complete chapter 2 the next turn after completing chapter 1.
    7. There is much less emphasis on razing or sacking settlements. In general, these should all be secondary objectives.

If, as you try out this submod, you notice an apparent violation of the above principles, please let me know and I will happily correct it. It is very easy to save your game on the turn that the chapter completes, then apply a fix to the missions.txt file, so that your campaign is not ruined by an error early on. Note that this is not true for changes to the Victory Conditions - since those require startpos editing - if you identify an error in the Victory Conditions, then you will have to restart the campaign before a fix takes effect.

I am particularly interested in whether 400 units is too many, or too few, for a Victory Condition or Chapter Objective. I have had no issues getting that many units in my campaigns, but others may find it oppressively high.

Victory Conditions changes, guiding principles -
    Military - lowered number of regions to 60-80, focus on defeating nearby rival powers or recreating past glory. This is the most "traditional" Total War Victory Condition.
    Cultural - lowered number of provinces required for cultural dominance to 20-28, focus on controlling cultural heartland or destroying cultural rivals. This is designed to allow a player to build tall, for the most part.
    Economic - lowered number of regions required to 40, focus on dominating nearby economically important areas such as trade choke points, particularly wealthy regions, or sources of important trade goods (such as amber, spices, slaves, etc). Due to game limitations, the big constraint is controlling a source of every trade resource.

I have tried repeatedly to make it so that sacking or razing particular cities can be a Victory Condition, but I have not yet been able to make it work. So, for now, I have limited it to sacking or razing 5 settlements, which is not nearly as oppressive as 25-35.

I have based all changes to the missions.txt file and startpos on DeI 1.2.6. As such, this submod is fully compatible with DeI 1.2.6.

Version 1.5 covers the following playable factions:
    Link to Rome Modified Victory Conditions

Link to Carthage Modified Victory Conditions

Link to Maurya Modified Victory Conditions

Link to Macedon Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Seleucid Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Baktria Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Epirus Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Ptolemaic Modified Victory Conditions

Link to Scordisci Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Boii Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Nervii Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Galatia Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Arverni Modified Victory Conditions

Link to Iceni Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Caledones Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Iweriu Modified Victory Conditions

Link to Edetani Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Arevaci Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Lusitani Modified Victory Conditions

Link to Saka Rauka Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Rauxa Alanna Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Royal Scythians Modified Victory Conditions

Link to Sparta Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Rhodes Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Pergamon Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Athens Modified Victory Conditions

Link to Saba Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Nabata Modified Victory Conditions

Link to Getae Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Ardiaei Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Odryssian Modified Victory Conditions

Link to Numidian Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Kush Modified Victory Conditions

Link to Massalia Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Colchis Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Syracuse Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Arche Bosporus Modified Victory Conditions

Link to Kartli Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Parthia Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Armenia Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Atropaktan Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Pontus Modified Victory Conditions

Link to Lugii Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Suebi Modified Victory Conditions
    Link to Cimbri Modified Victory Conditions
    Last edited by Olmsted; January 07, 2021 at 11:08 PM.