Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaming PC with TV in living room setup?

Default Re: Gaming PC with TV in living room setup?

Idk about nice exercise. They make me dizzy.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

I'm gonna hijack the thread a bit and ask a Q, as I am currently in the building of a home office, complete with a future gaming PC, monitors and hopefully a TV.

1) Did anyone stick the TV either on a specific wall stand or within the wall itself? I want to do it like that to create a business TV combo, where I can watch business news all day, especially while I work.

2) Double monitors or a large, widescreen monitor? Which one is better? Monitor just for gaming - I prefer to use the laptop for work.

In fact my powerstation combo will be a work laptop + a gaming laptop (or a desktop) + 1/2 monitors + a wall TV. That's also probably going to require an upgrade to the electrical installation in my separate room I guess.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

1. I tend to move equipment around, so monitors tend to be on top of desks and stands; also, I would consider a new OLED television a comparatively expensive and heavy piece of electronics, and would like a professional to wall mount it for me. Exception, when they introduce bezelless tiled screens you can wallpaper.

2. All things being equal, large wide screen, hence popularity of twenty one to nine and thirty two to nine, which also doesn't need to take into account desk width; desk width would determine how many and what size monitors. Exception, third party multi monitor stand, or monitor arms attached to desk, but angled away.

3. Seems unlikely that a modern television, plus two modern monitors, plus a default laptop require exceptional power draw; you could run the whole set up through an Uninterruptible Power Supply.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    I'm gonna hijack the thread a bit and ask a Q, as I am currently in the building of a home office, complete with a future gaming PC, monitors and hopefully a TV.

1) Did anyone stick the TV either on a specific wall stand or within the wall itself? I want to do it like that to create a business TV combo, where I can watch business news all day, especially while I work.

2) Double monitors or a large, widescreen monitor? Which one is better? Monitor just for gaming - I prefer to use the laptop for work.

In fact my powerstation combo will be a work laptop + a gaming laptop (or a desktop) + 1/2 monitors + a wall TV. That's also probably going to require an upgrade to the electrical installation in my separate room I guess.
    1. a rotatable wall stand:

There is a weight limit though. As far as I know anything larger than 65" isn't possible with the rotatable kind because they need two sticks not one to support.

2. Use the TV for gaming.

3. gaming laptop cost too much and expansion is difficult.

Gentlemen, thank you for the answers.

I've positioned myself for a gaming laptop because frankly I haven't had a desktop PC since 2008 - ever since then, it's only been gaming laptops. I'm quite comfortable with them and a solid build from the beginning, with maybe some RAM updates, is the way to go for me. Plus for the most part I used my laptop for work too. (2 in 1)

As for the TV, thank you for the suggestions, I think I have to do some wall modifications to insert the wall stand into it.

What about electrical upgrade? The electrical supply in the house annex is not the same as the one from the house, should 2 laptops + monitor + TV + other appliances (like a fridge) necessitate an upgrade?

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

That depends on how much electricity you wires can handle. Typically, this'll be related to the amperage rating of your electrical breaker. Your amperage consumption will be typically listed on the power brick of your device. Otherwise, I believe the simple formula is Watts/Voltage=Amps.

At least that's how it is in America, I don't know anything about how European stuff is wired.

Yeah I will have someone check the wirings to make sure everything is in order, since I will be running quite a few of electrical appliances there (TV, 2 laptops...). Possibly even aircon.

Gotta make sure all is in perfect order to create a business - gaming workspace.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Computers and TVs don't use that much electricity. All of them plus GPU might. You need exact calculation to be sure. I plug all mine in one extension without problem.

A serious shortcoming with gaming laptop, even if you don't mind the cost, is that it's unlikely to be able to deal with the heat when all CPU cores and GPU are running at maximum capacity for extended period of time without throttling down. I consider them to be a scam because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Yeah I will have someone check the wirings to make sure everything is in order, since I will be running quite a few of electrical appliances there (TV, 2 laptops...). Possibly even aircon.

Gotta make sure all is in perfect order to create a business - gaming workspace.
    Aircon will draw a lot of power.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Computers and TVs don't use that much electricity. All of them plus GPU might. You need exact calculation to be sure. I plug all mine in one extension without problem.

A serious shortcoming with gaming laptop, even if you don't mind the cost, is that it's unlikely to be able to deal with the heat when all CPU cores and GPU are running at maximum capacity for extended period of time without throttling down. I consider them to be a scam because of that.
    They typically don't, but it depends on the technology as well. Some draw a lot more than others. Also, I don't know about modern houses, but mine was built in the 80s. Multiple rooms are typically tied to one breaker. Which means, I have 15 AMPs for my room, my bathroom, and my office. I'd have to ask my dad if this is still typical, but I don't see why it wouldn't be.

A gaming PC can draw 3-5 Amps, which is a lot. Now imagine your wife is using a hairdryer, that's another couple amps, you might be using heating, or have a mini fridge, another few amps, lights, tv, etc. It can add up to 15 amps surprisingly fast and flip the breaker. Again, not a big deal, just flip it back on and turn off a couple devices. But still, it's good to be mindful of such things. Knowing your house's electrical layout is definitely beneficial.

I've decided that in the beginning I'll just start with a laptop / monitor / mesh router (to amplify the WiFI power in the part of the house where I will be) and then gradually add the fridge / TV / what else is needed. I will have a professional check my electrical installation beforehand to make sure (1) it can handle it and (2) add more usage once I add the rest of the "units".

Good luck. Hopefully it won't be too expensive. Electricians in United States can cost an exorbitant amount per hour. I don't know what the rates are in your area. Getting information and a map of your house wiring is beneficial anyhow. Every house owner should know this stuff.

Fortunately in my area of Europe electricians (good ones) have decent rates - it will be a bit more complicated because my office will be in a house annex, built relatively recently, but without clear electrical grid plans so someone has to see the map of the wiring as it's separate from the main house.

Command center incoming, can't wait to create it and build it

An update to the monitor arrangement.

My old forty seven inch LG was hanging around in a corner, and I was wondering what to do with it.

Decided to set up another stand, and angled it about thirty degrees from the OLED, replacing the thirty two inch Medion, resolving the issue with the Medion getting in the way, and still having a large enough screen slightly further back, that is legible.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    An update to the monitor arrangement.

My old forty seven inch LG was hanging around in a corner, and I was wondering what to do with it.

Decided to set up another stand, and angled it about thirty degrees from the OLED, replacing the thirty two inch Medion, resolving the issue with the Medion getting in the way, and still having a large enough screen slightly further back, that is legible.
    Put it in the dining room. I can't imagine having dinner at home without TV on.

Back to the original issue. I'll move away exercise machines and now the arrangement is:

Code:
    ------------------
    |A              |
    |             A |
    | [Divan] [T] TV|
    |             A |
    |A            PC|
    |
    |
    ------------------
    [T] is a mobile standing desk for placing keyboard and mouse. Divan is used when controller is supported.

There are only have 4 speakers, not 5+1, so the only good position is on the center line. I can't place a center speaker since TV is on a rotatable stand.

Extended screen from PC to TV. HDR only works on TV.

I can't use TV as the only screen since BIOS wouldn't show, and I can't play games with PC screen without headphone. There is no space for a full sized gaming desk with its own speakers, because it's right next to the door.

When I stand and use the mobile desk, it's too close to TV and my head position is too high. When I sit on divans it's too far away and too low.

This abomination works with both controller games (sitting) and kb+mouse games (standing), but neither is perfect.

What would solve the problem? The most straightforward solution would be a sofa that can raise and lower itself, which does not exist. Plus a HDMI splitter which can send HDR signal to TV but non-HDR signal to my monitor... or a huge, TV-sized monitor instead of TV, but I remember the quality was horrible and price was extremely high, as they were very rare.
    Last edited by AqD; November 22, 2023 at 02:19 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12