Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

  1. #1

    Default Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    This threat is quite unnerving since it comes directly from Azerbaijan's Ministry of Defense. There has been some muted international condemnation of this statement, including from a few American senators, but I think it deserves more attention.

    https://www.newsweek.com/kim-kardash...uclear-1518583

    https://www.booker.senate.gov/news/press
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

  2. #2
    nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    4,827

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    First time?


  3. #3

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    It was an utterly idiotic threat. It would hurt Turkey more than it hurts Armenia. However, the threat was not made out of the blue. It was made in response to Armenia threatening Azerbaijan with striking the Mingachevir dam.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  4. #4

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    It was an utterly idiotic threat. It would hurt Turkey more than it hurts Armenia. However, the threat was not made out of the blue. It was made in response to Armenia threatening Azerbaijan with striking the Mingachevir dam.
    I haven't seen such a threat made by an Armenian official. a former defense minister (of the ousted political Republican party) stated in an interview recently that it could be a target, but he has been out of the Ministry of Defense for about 20 years or so and is thus not a government official.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

  5. #5

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    Likely the Armenian ex-defense minister made the suggestion to target the dam, then an Azerbaijani reporter asked in a news conference what if Armenia targets the dam, and voila. The fact that an ex defense minister of Armenia considers the dam a legitimate target is equally troubling.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  6. #6
    antaeus's Avatar Whataboutery
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,993

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    Why was the ex minister of defence ex?

    I mean, if ex ministers were held to account for some of what they say around these parts, the world would be in a bad way. If a current Azerbaijani minister can't resist an idiot provocation like this, perhaps they should also be an ex minister. Firing before enquiring doesn't exactly seem to be the temperament I'd value in a leader of policy managing armed persons.

    All I see here is idiot alphas waving their genitalia about. If the world had fewer of these people, it would be a much better place.
    Last edited by antaeus; July 19, 2020 at 02:01 AM. Reason: If I had a gun and I had this temperament, my neighbour's dog would have died years ago.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

  7. #7

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Likely the Armenian ex-defense minister made the suggestion to target the dam, then an Azerbaijani reporter asked in a news conference what if Armenia targets the dam, and voila. The fact that an ex defense minister of Armenia considers the dam a legitimate target is equally troubling.
    Is it "likely" or is it a fact?
    If you say it's likely, it means that it came out of your head.
    In the meantime, Armenia is one more country that Turkey has threatened.
    https://massispost.com/2020/07/turke...to-azerbaijan/

    Turkey is fast becoming the village madman, uttering curses to everyone in sight.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    Quote Originally Posted by ioannis76 View Post
    Is it "likely" or is it a fact?
    If you say it's likely, it means that it came out of your head.
    In the meantime, Armenia is one more country that Turkey has threatened.
    https://massispost.com/2020/07/turke...to-azerbaijan/

    Turkey is fast becoming the village madman, uttering curses to everyone in sight.
    The Armenian ex defense minister made the statement.
    The Azerbaijani defense minister made the statement in response to a reporter asking about it.
    You can be the judge of that.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  9. #9

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Likely the Armenian ex-defense minister made the suggestion to target the dam, then an Azerbaijani reporter asked in a news conference what if Armenia targets the dam, and voila. The fact that an ex defense minister of Armenia considers the dam a legitimate target is equally troubling.
    They are not the same thing. What an ex Armnian official suggest is not relevant, but what an active Azerbaijani official is very relevant, and fwr.more teoubliy. Plus targeting a nuclear reactor has far more negative implications for the rest of world than targeting a dam. The proposed targeting of.a dam by an ex government official is not even.close to being as troubling as thr proposed targeting of a nuclear reactor by an active government official. The 2 are not the same or equally bad.


    The proposed action by Azerbaijani is worse, because of the potential release of radioactive material to thd environment, and more serious, since the proposed action reflects Azerbaijani government policy, while the ex Armenian official represents only the.opinion of one man and not.the Armenian government.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; August 05, 2020 at 11:19 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    They are not thr same thing. What an ex Armnian official suggest is not relevant, but what an active Azerbaijani official is very relevant, and fwr.more teoubliy. Plus targeting a nuclear reactor has far more negative implications for the rest of world than targeting a dam. The proposed targeting of.a dam by an ex government official is not even.close to being as troubling as thr proposed targeting of a nuclear reactor by an active government official. The 2 are not the same.
    The threat to strike the dam was made while the defense minister was in office.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  11. #11

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    The threat to strike the dam was made while the defense minister was in office.
    And maybe he is an ex minister because he made those statements. Blowing up a nuclear reactor is still worse.




    Azerbaijani has nor repudiated the statements made by ita officials, while being an ex minister is a form.of repudiation. Azerbaijani statements were worse.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    And maybe he is an ex minister because he made those statements. Blowing up a nuclear reactor is still worse.
    Azerbaijani has nor repudiated the statements made by ita officials, while being an ex minister is a form.of repudiation. Azerbaijani statements were worse.
    Not really. The guy continued to be the defense minister for an other two years. You don't seem to realize that in this corner of the world they threaten each other with destruction every other Friday. Meanwhile, Russia sells weapons to both sides.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  13. #13

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    The Armenian ex defense minister made the statement.
    The Azerbaijani defense minister made the statement in response to a reporter asking about it.
    You can be the judge of that.
    What I see is that Turkey now has a problem with Armenia, too. That, in addition to her problems with Syria, Libya, Iraq and Greece. Did I forget anyone?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    Quote Originally Posted by ioannis76 View Post
    What I see is that Turkey now has a problem with Armenia, too. That, in addition to her problems with Syria, Libya, Iraq and Greece. Did I forget anyone?
    What i see here obviously that you have a problem with Turkey or anything that is related turkish being. Turkey is a NATO Country and on the same time the South-East-Frontline of NATO while Armenia is on the same time an Post-Soviet-State which even hosts a Russian Base there. Turkey is acting as a State just normal and not as you will always claim as the Agressor.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    Quote Originally Posted by Nebaki View Post
    What i see here obviously that you have a problem with Turkey or anything that is related turkish being. Turkey is a NATO Country and on the same time the South-East-Frontline of NATO while Armenia is on the same time an Post-Soviet-State which even hosts a Russian Base there. Turkey is acting as a State just normal and not as you will always claim as the Agressor.
    Perhaps my English isn't so fluent, but that doesn't seem to be making much sense.
    How is the fact that Turkey is a NATO country and Armenia not related to the threats against Armenia?
    And how is Turkey's status in NATO related to its support for Azerbaijan? Is Azerbaijan a NATO country as well?
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; Today at 07:15 AM. Reason: Disruptive.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Azerbaijan Threatens Missile Strike on Armenian Nuclear Power Plant

    i found this article on Turkish president's latest policy-making interesting: https://www.algemeiner.com/2020/08/1...r-world-peace/

    back to the OP
    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Not really. The guy continued to be the defense minister for an other two years. You don't seem to realize that in this corner of the world they threaten each other with destruction every other Friday. Meanwhile, Russia sells weapons to both sides.
    true, more or less. the tit for tat will only lead to trouble for everyone involved, including Russia that stockpiles the region with offensive weaponry and contributes to creating a powder keg on its own door steps. the main issue in general though is that Azeries seem to believe there is a military solution to the problem. what both sides need imho is a monitoring system on the line of contact (but now also between Armenia proper and Azerbaijan it seems) and first of all confidence-building measures to get the sides talking rather than dehumanising the other.
    Last edited by Sarkiss; Today at 03:26 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •