Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What specific Rome 2 Total War campaings did you complete?

Default What specific Rome 2 Total War campaings did you complete?

In my case the only campaign I finished is the Prologue campaign lol.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: What specific Rome 2 Total War campaings did you complete?

Cimmeria, Baktria, Saba, Rome, Syracuse and Carthage, so far. I enjoyed them all!

I'm kind of close to completing a Great Campaign with Egypt on Legendary level. Egypt is one of the easiest factions to play in the Great Campaign mode

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Lusitani - Grand Campaign (Vanilla Patch 17.)
    Octavian Rome - Imperator Augustus (A More Aggressive AI mod by Turquoise Falcon)
    Syracuse - Rise of the Republic (Vanilla Ancestral Update/Patch 20.)
    Aurelian Rome - Empire Divided (Athanasios' Ultimate Fixes mod by Athansios.)

Came close to finishing a vanilla Masaesyli Campaign when they first came out, but had computer issues and lost the saves.

But I'm a serial campaign starter/restarter so I've played probably hundreds of campaigns and dozens of factions... I'm just not very good at finishing those campaigns because I see something new or interesting, or read about a piece of history in the period and find myself wanting to play that, always saying "I'll come back later" to the other campaign.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    Lusitani - Grand Campaign (Vanilla Patch 17.)
    Octavian Rome - Imperator Augustus (A More Aggressive AI mod by Turquoise Falcon)
    Syracuse - Rise of the Republic (Vanilla Ancestral Update/Patch 20.)
    Aurelian Rome - Empire Divided (Athanasios' Ultimate Fixes mod by Athansios.)

Came close to finishing a vanilla Masaesyli Campaign when they first came out, but had computer issues and lost the saves.

But I'm a serial campaign starter/restarter so I've played probably hundreds of campaigns and dozens of factions... I'm just not very good at finishing those campaigns because I see something new or interesting, or read about a piece of history in the period and find myself wanting to play that, always saying "I'll come back later" to the other campaign.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Are those campaings harder with the patches you mention?

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Cimmeria, Baktria, Saba, Rome, Syracuse and Carthage, so far. I enjoyed them all!
    All of them in the Grand Campaign mode?

That's right, all in the Grand Campaign. Apart from the tutorial campaign, I haven't completed any of the other campaigns yet.

In the Grand Campaign, I enjoy building an empire over a long time period. Even so, I've played a bit of Rise of the Republic, Imperator Augustus and Empire Divided and I'm looking forward to completing campaigns in them, as well as the Caesar and Hannibal campaigns. The different time periods and mechanics look interesting and it's fun to be able to play as Rome before it was powerful, or a barbarian faction taking on Rome when it was close to the height of its power, or trying to re-unite a declining Roman empire when it was affected by plagues, banditry, civil war, cults and corruption.

Speaking of Rome, I'm thinking of winning everything in the game as Rome. When I finish Rise of the Republic, I'll play Cesar in Gaul.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by twgamer20197 View Post
    Are those campaings harder with the patches you mention?
    I was more just giving an idea of when I played them, as things have changed quite a lot over the years. To me the current patch (Patch 20/Ancestral Update) is the best version for campaign and battles. Difficulty also comes from the factions you play and how you play, for example I often play smaller factions, rarely autoresolve, and try to build semi-realistic themed armies rather than going for all elite doomstacks, even in late game.

As for the mods, A More Aggressive AI does increase the campaign challenge as there tends to be more wars and the AI tends to be more aggressive in pursuing their goals in the war as he's tweaked their priorities. But it's done in a balanced way. If the AI is unfriendly or hates a faction they're more likely to declare war (with an increasing chance as the relations between you get worse,) but if they like or love you they're less likely to.

Athanasios' Ultimate Fixes is more an unofficial patch. It addresses lingering issues that CA never got around to fixing, like the erroneous "gained a Household member" messages, where the game tells you a character has a new Household member, but it doesn't appear on the character or in the Household pool (sometimes because its not actually a Household member for that faction.)

Hope that helps.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

In the Grand Campaign:

Colchis (very fun, I love underdog factions)
    Epirus (Best start in the game, hands down)
    Pontus (Always been a Pontus fan since release, great faction and options for expansion)
    Getae (Challenging and fun, plus there aren't many other Dacian factions meaning your army stands out)
    Baktria (Seleucids on easy mode)
    Iceni (good faction if you're new to Barbarians)
    Lusitani (once you get control of Spain, the real challenge begins)

Imperator Augustus:
    Pompey's Rome (most difficult faction, but even then once you get the other three to go at each other it's easy pickings)

Caesar in Gaul:
    Rome (only faction that's really that fun IMO)

Wrath of Sparta:
    Korinthos (they all play the same honestly, though Athens has a bit more of a challenge)

Hannibal at the Gates:
    Arevaci (Confederated 90% of Spain without fighting a single battle until turn 80, then steamrolled the map)

Rise of the Republic:
    Iolei (Punched my way to Carthage, then used it's port to conquer the rest of the map. Probably in my top 3 Rome 2 campaigns of all time).
    Last edited by LuckyPistol; August 12, 2020 at 07:00 AM.

Hannibal at the Gates:
    Arverni (Confederated 90% of Spain without fighting a single battle until turn 80, then steamrolled the map)
    Do you mean the Arevaci?

Yes I did, thank you for catching that typo!

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    Yes I did, thank you for catching that typo!
    My pleasure. I realized about it because it was weird that you said "the averni" lol

Update about completed campaigns:

- Tarchuna in RISE OF THE REPUBLIC
    - Rome in RISE OF THE REPUBLIC

Now I aim for completing a campaign as the Insubres and also another one in GC as Egypt.

This is for anyone reading this thread:
    How do you prefer to complete your campaigns?
    Do you like full conquest of the entire map? Or do you like just achieving the main objectives?
    Last edited by twgamer20197; March 22, 2021 at 12:11 PM.

I like to at least complete the main main objectives. I haven't completed an entire map since Shogun 2 as I find the payoff not to be worth the time and mundane snowballing.

Default Re: What specific Rome 2 Total War campaigns did you complete?

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    I like to at least complete the main main objectives. I haven't completed an entire map since Shogun 2 as I find the payoff not to be worth the time and mundane snowballing.
    I don't feel like conquering the whole map either for several reasons:

- It would take much longer to finish the game and it gets boring when no faction is a match for you anymore. Instead of wasting my time on that, I prefer to move on a different campaign to play
    - You need at least a few factions to survive in the game in order to have income from trading. It is like history: The civilizations that conquered a big part of the world ( the romans, the macedonians, etc ) always left some nations to survive by making them allies or client states or satrapies. So, when I play a campaign, I keep alive those factions that want to collaborate with me.

And as to the main chapter objectives, I only care about the main objectives. I just ignore the bonus objetives.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; March 22, 2021 at 12:13 PM.

Like you, I complete the main objectives and don't try to take the whole map. As you said, it's more fun to move on to a different campaign and it's better to have allies, client states or satrapies, as trading partners.

I enjoy aiming for a type of victory which isn't the obvious one for my faction - for example an economic victory as world-conquering Rome, or a military victory as world-trading Saba. Maybe others do that too?

Sometimes I'll have personal objectives, a bit like Derc in his brilliant AAR Derc Plays through World History. For example, as Pompey's Rome (in Imperator Augustus) he set himself the goal of uniting all Roman lands before conquering non-Roman territory, and as Syracuse (in Rise of the Republic) he took on the challenge of playing without mercenaries.

Alwyn:
    Do you also ignore the bonus objectives of each chapter?

Now I have another completed campaign:
    Egypt in Grand Campaign ( This is one of the easiest ones )

Currently I'm trying to progress in my GC as Bactria...
    Last edited by twgamer20197; April 30, 2021 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twgamer20197 View Post

Currently I'm trying to progress in my GC as Bactria...
    How is that going?

Quite well now ( I'm in the chapter where I need to subjugate 13 factions. I already did it with 5 )

I have these factions as military allies:Aria, Arachosia, Egypt, Pergamum, Rhodos, Pergamon, Pontus. I'm not sure if it will be possible to keep the military alliance with them ( The possible problem would be if one or more of them get involved in a war that is not mine without my permission). I made them military allies because they helped me in my wars against the Seleucids, the Medians, the Persians, Colquis, Cimmeria. Now I have doubts about whether or not attacking Athens and Sparta or making them military allies as well.
    Last edited by twgamer20197; May 01, 2021 at 04:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast