Thread: When I try to run a mod bat file I get"Windows cannot find medieval.exe/kingdoms.exe" error after installing a new OS on a new HD

Default When I try to run a mod bat file I get"Windows cannot find medieval.exe/kingdoms.exe" error after installing a new OS on a new HD

I added a new SSD on my pc, and installed new OS(Win8.1) on there, however MTW2 was on a different HD and was untouched, I did not even have to reinstall. Vanilla MTW2 works fine, most of other games work fine, even Stainless Steel launcher worked fine, but when I try mods with the bat file it either doesn't start, or I run at as admin and I get the mentioned error. Do I have to bite the bullet and reinstall mtw2 anyway?

But still I am interested, why can't the bat file start the mod, and how in god's name is not possible to find medieval or kingdoms exe, I assure you they are there, I even deleted them and downloaded medieval.exe and did the whole spiel to get kingdoms.exe.

Obviously this is the Steam version, and I'm gonna try to "move" it around, see if it works.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; July 11, 2020 at 04:12 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: When I try to run a mod bat file I get"Windows cannot find medieval.exe/kingdoms.exe" error after installing a new OS on a new HD

If you run BAT files with admin permission they go deaf and blind and can't find anything, literally. Apply the admin permission on the executable instead.

The old install of Stainless Steel should toss up a 'kingdoms.exe' not found error when running on Steam unless you did a copy\rename of the medieval2 executable file or used my repack. My guess why it unexpectedly (from my view) works right now for you and BAT files don't: it uses an executable instead of a BAT file which somehow can make use of the game's executable file whereas BAT files can't.

While simply copying the game works for the disk version (the game's registry entries removed by the new OS installation are not essential to play mods) you can expect issues like the 'no start with bat file' with the steam version due to linkage within Steam's set up folder. I would suggest to bite the bullet and reinstall**, here is a link on how to move the library folder of the game after installation.

** once the registry entries are restored it will also support installers (like all of mine) that look up the correct install path in the registry. Unless you prefer to manually browse to it
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 11, 2020 at 11:47 PM.

Default Re: When I try to run a mod bat file I get"Windows cannot find medieval.exe/kingdoms.exe" error after installing a new OS on a new HD

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    If you run BAT files with admin permission they go deaf and blind and can't find anything, literally. Apply the admin permission on the executable instead.
    This seems to have solved it, thanks as always.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Glad you dodged the bullet

Oh good sir, I'm sure more bullets will come.