Thread: Unit Texture Locations

Default Unit Texture Locations

hello. first post here.
    someone gave me this old "acer" laptop after mine crashed. on this laptop i discovered this "Rome: Total war" game, and thought i'd check it out. one of the greatest games i've ever played. as someone who's favorite part of video games is modifying them, i quickly decided i wanted to alter some of the textures. so...after searching the files i couldn't find the textures for units so i began searching for tutorials online. i've searched for a about 5 days now and still can't find what i'm looking for on any of these total war sites.
    i've looked through all the tutorials mentioned here:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...elp-with-Skins (as well as many others around multiple sites)
    problem is, none of these locations have the textures i need, and using the Xpak tool and tutorial found here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...-xpak-Tutorial
    i've unpacked what was in that "pack" folder, but i still don't see the unit textures.
    after using Xpak there are now textures in the data_models_textures folder, but only a couple of units (and i'm not sure they're even units used on the battlefield). almost all of these textures are things like banners with names like "standard_briton"/"standard_briton_ally" and a number of other textures relating to effects and resources (gold etc).
    the names of the .pak files in the "pack" folder are as follows:
    battle_open.pak
    game_init.pak
    models_buildings_textures.pak
    patch_0.pak
    patch_1.pak
    sprites_0.pak<br>sprite_1.pak
    ui_0.pak
    ui_1.pak
    i would assume that the "battle_open.pak" would be the one to have unit textures if any of these did, yet i see nothing i need in the file pertaining to units where Xpak extracted to.
    when i look into the "data_model_battle" text file it references the "data/models_unit/textures/" folder for the target, yet there is nothing there. if there's nothing in the folder how can it reference this folder and still have textures showing in-game? shouldn't this render the models without textures or cause the game to crash?

am i missing something?

Default Re: Unit Texture Locations

Yes, they must be in packs folder:

models_unit_textures.pak

thanks for responding, milner.
    so i went through all the folders and discovered there are tons of textures in the "data_models_strat_textures" folder (maybe Xpak exported to here?). many of these start with "#" and "##" and then a ton of unit textures (what i've been trying to find i think). should i move these to "data_models_unit_textures" folder or leave them where they are?

never mind on that last question. i assume these textures are for the "world map" units as they are all 128x128 or smaller in size.

okay, figured it out.
    first i tried changing all the "permissions" in the security section of the main installation folder. for me it was "program(86)_the_creative_assembly". i made all files within accessible to everyone. that didn't work.
    so i got the idea to right-click on the Xpak "application", go to "compatibility", check "run as administrator. now there's a DATA folder in the pack folder after running the program again.
    PROBLEM SOLVED.
    thanks

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

You may also wish to have a look at this guide in connection with the virtual store (changes not taking effect).

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    You may also wish to have a look at this guide in connection with the virtual store (changes not taking effect).

oh sweet. that looks very useful. will definitely be checking this out.
    thank you very much, gigantus

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries