Thread: Help needed: How to modify birth rate

Default Help needed: How to modify birth rate

Hi guys,

Im just starting a new play through in RTW2 after the big update a couple of years ago. In my last run my family did not have children, so this time I want to make sure it works.

1) I manually changed turns per year to 12. Do I have to expect any bugs resulting from this?
    2) How can I modify birth rate and child mortality?
    3) When can I expect offspring at earliest (to see if everything is working). I read something like, married at least for 2 years (in my case 24 turns). Is this true?
    4) Also for testing purpose: Can births only happen every full year (1st, 13th, 25th etc. turn). This seems to be the case for children in the faction coming of age.

Hope you can help, thanks already!

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Help needed: How to modify birth rate

this is an extraction taken from testudo, DeI submod
    you have everything you were seeking for
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/jjipaz...mily.pack/file

these are to be used (or merged) with the pack above
    0-2 / 1-3 / 2-4 children without possibility to die, perfect for 12 tpy
    @@@@@@_TURTLE_10_Children: https://www.mediafire.com/file/u4boc...ldren.zip/file
    (Compatible with DeI and any DeI submod. By default Testudo have the 1-3 children without the possibility to die. Use 0-2 and 2-4 for different settings)

or build the pack your own way, tables are pretty much self explanatory

1) if the startpos pack is correct then no
    2) check the packs
    3) check the packs
    4) no don't really think so. Vanilla values are probably set to be really high and so birth will happen at first occasion (and seem redundant)
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; July 10, 2020 at 05:50 PM.

Hey Jake, thanks a lot!

1) I installed 2 mods for 4 and 12 turns per year but they were based on old startpos.esf so it changed the game to be different than the most current version. So I un-installed them and just changed the startpos.esf in my game from 1 to 12 turns per year. In this case the file should be correct, right?
    4) Im already 25 turns in a game, fertile wife etc. no birth yet, is this normal?
    5) As said above, Im already in a game, is this mod save game compatible?
    6) If no, is it possible to manually edit my save game?
    7) Im not experienced with modding. Do I get it right, that 2-4 is 2-4 childs with high birth chance and no child mortality. I need to go into data.pack (or where do I edit?) look for the lines in the table shown in 2-4 and edit accordingly?

Thanks again!

Patrician

1) if the modification has been done correctly and you don't notice anything really weird then it works
    4) with my packs or without? I (and other guys) use them since a year and they always worked
    5) yes
    6) can't say never used saveparser, can't help you here
    7) download RPFM and open the pacsk, you'll see what data has been changed. The only way to start modding is understand its logic and do trials. yes those 3 packs adapt probabilities and remove deaths (in 12 tpy children always die sooner or later)
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-new-features!

Thanks again for the advice.

1) Okay, then it should be working.
    4) Without when I wrote it.
    7) Dropped the packfiles into the data folder and activated them via Steam.
    8) No the packs seem to be installed, for testing purpose I turned child mortality to 100 and child chance to 100 as well. But it does not seem to be working: immediately a 5 year old daughter died who was in the family tree from the beginning. the 15 year old boy, who has not come to age yet, did not die, maybe because he can come to age with 14 already? But especially: No children. Even after a couple of turns. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I did further testing, so in general it works, Children always immediately die. I just dont understand the child chance mechanic, after having it tweaked to 1000 there were children born in 2 cases. So I think it should work no. Are there any additional conditions such as general needs to be at home, needs to be married for 2 years etc.?

Thanks!

Patrician

Children always immediately die: uh, with what campaign? GC? With my packs? They don't die at all with my packs
    I just don't understand the child chance mechanic: me neither but the values I've put work fine for having those quantities
    needs to be married for 2 years: man, read the tables (family_rounds_between_children, family_rounds_between_marriage_and_first_child) they are self explanatory

Hey, dont get me wrong: it is good that they die, I turned the mortality to 100 for testig, to see if I installed correctly, which I did as I can see due to the children dying immediately. Meanwhile I turned back to 0. Let me see the tables again, havent seen this, when I had a first gaze on it. Thanks again!