Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Begginer's question

Default Re: Begginer's question

Noob questions if I may. Playing as Roma...

1) I'm getting a notification from the advisor that "colonists are ready to be dispatched". I'm a little unsure of what this is saying I can do. I currently have Italy in my possession and am working on Cisalpine Gaul.

2) When I take a new city, I have an option of "free city" or "Roman pacification". When do I get the options for an Allied State Government? Do I create a free city first?

Thx for any answers and this mod is awesome.

The colonists message means that you have spare colony points needed to build colonies.

You have to build a free city first then an allied government.
    Last edited by Satapatiš; July 12, 2020 at 09:25 AM.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

Have in mind that, at first, you can only colonize Italy, as the Romans. I suggest getting some key cities to large Latin colonies as soon as possible in order to upgrade the government.

Thank you gentlemen. Where do I see my spare colony points? And how do I use them? Do I build something? Also, I have one city that I have chosen to be a “free city” in Cisalpine Gaul. I chose it to be a FC so I can recruit more troops. When do I get the option to expand the government? Is it based on number of households?

New government options become available as the settlement grows in size, but the first allied government option is available after the initial prerequisite was built regardless of the settlement size. It also unlocks the one-time recrutation of the client ruler unit. Be careful with recruiting too many client rulers, though. They do not show in the family tree but they do count against the max faction member limit. Only a few of them in the regions that otherwise could be very hard to hold onto is fine. But too many of them and your ruling caste might start to die out of the old age (no children coming from the client rulers).

Colony points don't show anywhere in the interface but as long as you have them to spare the colony buildings show in the building options. Only your factional colonies need colony points. Local military settler colonies don't need colony points to be built.

An awkward but effective way to count your colony points:

SAVE THE GAME. Go to somewhere you can build your colony (as in, it is available in the building queue). Click it to put on the construction queue, and click it out. Repeat the cycle, counting it. Eventually, it won't show up to build anymore. That's how many colony points you currently have. Reload so you didn't waste it all in vain.

Rome colonies, at first, can only be built in Italy. You get them from your top governments - in Rome, of course, and the maximum you can reach on the Socii cities - which will require the use of colonies in order to get to the required Culture level.

Awesome info, Thx fellas. I made Bononia, the first town Rome encounters in Cisalpine Gaul, a "Free city" in order to be able to recruit more troops to assist in our northward invasion. All others will be Roman provinces. Does that sound like a solid plan or should I make them all Roman provinces?

Roman provinces have better long term development (you can build taller than free cities), but no local recruitment. Furthermore, technically, the free cities one-time recruitment is more meant to be used as garrisons. Regardless, it is a good way to keep a region in your hands without having to resort to Allied Governments.

If you plan to attack Gaul, keep in mind the place has ludicrous mercenary pools. Probably the most insane in all the game. The lowest troops, the Mercenary Gaul Spearmen, are competent, got a good pool (3 per region, roughly), and replenish VERY fast. You can make an army out of nothing by just moving a general there and making it rain. The AI will often not be smart enough to do the same. So don't fear about manpower there.

Colonization outside of Italy will only be available after the Marian reforms (after turn 503, check the guide for details), but colony points are being accumulated nonetheless. Which means that as soon as the reform hits, you will have a massive amount of colony buildings available - but do note that some non-Italy colonies have 2 levels, both requiring colony points.

Then there are veteran's colonies, again, after Marian reforms only. To build this, you need to disband some units of Cohors Reformata (the standard post-Marian unit for the Romans), and you get to build one veteran's colony for each 5 units disbanded in every settlement with a Provincia or higher gov type. This type of colony gives a small law bonus among other bonuses, and the unit Cohors Evocata will be availanle in that settlement. These are retired, experienced soldiers, recalled for duty - and they are very powerful.

Pre-reform, if you want proper recruitment, you need to establish allied gov, if you don't, go for Provincia, because it gives more building options (Free Cities give less building options, and recruitment is severely limited). When the Marian reform hits, Provincias will offer very good recruitment, so you should start letting Allied Govs go after that reform.

If you do go with Allied Gov, choose the Oligarchic version, as it has a law bonus (the other one gives happiness bonus instead), so you will probably lose less money due to the gov type.

It's incredible how much thought went into this mod. Thank you gents for all the advice. The barbs in Cisalpine Gaul are fighting for every inch of ground, I haven't even had a battle with Carthage yet, can't spare the manpower. Carthage took all of Sicily so I guess that will be my first priority.

The northernmost regions of Italy are just this kind of a wonderful place, on pair with Galatia. Might take a while "civilizing" before you can call it a peace there.

At least Carthage took care of cleaning up Sicily for you because at the beginning of the game that place is crazy too.

Have in mind, as well, that least a certain government building is limited by script (akin to colonies, but Rome does not have none. In fact, these are mostly restricted to Hellenic factions), you can freely destroy it and build something else in its place as long as it is convenient and practical to you. Free Cities, despite not having great development potential, are quick and cheap to set up, and offer some good order bonuses (thus why it acts as a cheap, easy to replace substitute for Allied Governments in rowdy provinces). After the place is happy enough, and you built everything that Free City allows you to, it would be wise to destroy the government and build a Province there instead. Now you enjoyed all the benefits of the Free City (added order on the tumultuous transition period, accessible garrisons) and are ready to Provincia higher development caps.

Another question or two if I may...

1) Is there any way to tell how rebellious a city might be before I take it? As in, should I occupy, sack or enslave it?

2) My heir has a retinue that says he has been ordered to govern the province of Cisalpine Gaul by the senate, and that his Imperium is worthless outside of this province. Is that true? Is there a way I can tell exactly which province and cities make up Cisalpine Gaul? Also, how bad is the penalty for attacking with an "Imperium relinquished" commander?

You can try and check on the stats of the city to see public order while it's under the AI's administration. But there are so many factors in Public Order, before the fact that the AI doesn't play by the player's rules, that I wouldn't call that statistic reliable. The only way to determine a settlement is troublesome beforehand with any reliability is to see if the AI often loses it to revolt. Liguria, one of the most troublesome regions, often revolts against the AI.

With some forethought you can predict when some regions are troublesome. If you are moving into a zone of foreign culture, you can expect unrest when you conquer it. If you are aware of Greece's traditional resistance to direct rule (or you've seen the Stasis and Autonomias buildings), then you can try to adjust for the ensuing loss of public order, at least until you can build a Tributary State.

Lastly, when you reach the point where you've conquered a settlement and have to decide how to treat it, you can see the initial public order response on the Campaign Map. If it's red, then it may be prudent to try the stick.

It sounds like your Nobilis has received a Provincia ancillary. Yes, it provides perpetual Imperium only within a set of regions. Once he spends a turn outside the theater, then his Imperium is relinquished. To my knowledge there is no in-game indicator as to what the the Provincia encompasses, outside of the ancillary's description.

I've spent a good amount of time playing as SPQR, and I've spent a stretch of time where I neglected the Imperium mechanics to save time. I've received no negative traits for this illegal command, perhaps there's a reduced chance of being nominated for Triumphs. So there's no real punishment for neglecting Imperium.
    Last edited by BailianSteel; July 19, 2020 at 01:19 AM.

Look at the settlement culture. If its different and much higher than yours then it'll rebel.

When it comes to Liguria... Safely assume that it will revolt and start with depopulation (enslavement) whichever faction you play (if your factional culture is different than the local one). Then lower the taxes and install a client government there. Depends how populous it was at the time of your conquest, it might revolt anyway.

I had this region reduced to around 400 population and mostly gray tiles before it started resembling anything civilized. Still, real Hellenism just can't give up!
    Last edited by Satapatiš; July 19, 2020 at 09:51 AM.

Thank you again gents.

The penalty for being a general without Imperium is a -3 Command on attack, further -3 Command when attacking walls (siege), and -1 Confidence (troop morale). May sound big until you actually play Carthage.

Quote Originally Posted by RodriguesSting View Post
    The penalty for being a general without Imperium is a -3 Command on attack, further -3 Command when attacking walls (siege), and -1 Confidence (troop morale). May sound big until you actually play Carthage.
    Hah, so true.

You can win battles and wage successful wars with a ruling caste composed mostly of morons with a high loyalty and fertility as their only positive traits. Command and confidence penalties aren't very important. Now, the public order maluses for some character traits... Those can hurt.

I do things by the book. One must exercise legal command.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast