Thread: What's up with the phalanx units in Platinum?

Default What's up with the phalanx units in Platinum?

Single individuals from the phalanx units are straying away from the formation while engaged and fight against invisible enemies. Any way around this bug?

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Default Re: What's up with the phalanx units in Platinum?

All i can say about the phalanx, is that you guys are supposed to be the most historic mod in the community, but the greeks have a macedonioan phalanx in this game. If you are worried about game balance then play Lusted's Terrae EXp and see how that works. The Greeks are actually more versatile than the macedonians in my opinion. You should disable it.
    Blut und Boden

It is a bug, but it has to do with the engine of RTW v1.5 not Platinum. It especially happens in phalanx vs. phalanx battles.
    The only solution is to:
    press the backspace key once the unit comes into contact with the enemy.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    All i can say about the phalanx, is that you guys are supposed to be the most historic mod in the community, but the greeks have a macedonioan phalanx in this game. If you are worried about game balance then play Lusted's Terrae EXp and see how that works. The Greeks are actually more versatile than the macedonians in my opinion. You should disable it.
    There's a reason for this--hear me out.

RTR-PE is a straight port of RTR-G to 1.5. That means the goal was to make the gameplay almost identical. Since you couldn't do shield walls in 1.2, they aren't really in RTR-PE, either.

That's where Candel's Extended Realism mod comes in. That takes full advantage of the new capabilities of 1.5 and BI and so is much more realistic. I highly recommend it if you're looking for a realistic gaming experience. I'd like to try Terrae Exp. at some point too, though.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Quote Originally Posted by florin80 View Post
    It is a bug, but it has to do with the engine of RTW v1.5 not Platinum. It especially happens in phalanx vs. phalanx battles.
    Ok thanks for clearing that up.
    Unfortunately the backspace thing didn't work for me. My soldiers still behave very weirdly as soon as they draw their secondary weapons, which strangely enough happens every time they face another phalanx.
    It's a game stopping bug for me since I've just started playing as the Bactrians...
    I think I'll revert back to 1.2 and RTR Gold even if that means I have to put up with the siege bug.
    Last edited by Narog; January 25, 2007 at 01:50 AM.

Well, you can also try and press the backspace right before the phalanx meet. Instead of waiting for them to get in contact first. Still, as I`ve said this is not something that can be fixed all together. Sadly.

old topic but I totaly hate it
    Patch 1.3/1.5 whatever it is ruined rome total war.

archers got weak, egypts lost huge desert cav, berzerks got crazy op and phalanx bug