Thread: Named characters - what happened to yours?

Default Named characters - what happened to yours?

It is 261 BC. Winter in recently conquered Bononia. A cold wind curls in tendrils around a shaking wooden door.

A 19-year old Fabius Maximus sleeps soundly in his claimed quarters. A hooded man slips silently through the door and shuts it behind him. From the depths of his dark, wide, flared sleeve emerges a red-black serpent...

---So... as Carthage, I've just managed to sneak an assassin into Bononia and killed who would become major pain-in-the-arse 30-or-so years later for Hannibal, changing the known course of history and hopefully turning it in the favour of Carthage!

It's a known fact that historical figures such as Pyrrhos, Hamilcar (Hannibal's father) and many Hellenistic generals (gratitude to the EB team for filling in so many engrossing bios for generals placed from Memphis to Pergamon) are present in the game.

What are your funny or interesting stories that have happened to biographical characters in your game?

Default Re: Named characters - what happened to yours?

Pyrrhus died at 57 in an ambush in Liburnia. He wanted to complete his subjugation of Greece and Makedon by adding all of the Illyrian footholds to the list, but the entire army was ambushed on their march north along the Adriatic coast. It still was a victory thanks to the aging king and his guard fighting to the last to buy the rest of the army time for reforming. Koinon Apeirotan took moderate losses with only Agema and Hypaspistai being decimated, but more than a half of the Illyrian force left their corpses on the field. Including their chieftain.

So... In the end he's got a proper martial celebrity death. In the blaze of glory. Winning for the last time.

Ptolemaios got himself killed in the first unsuccessful siege of Syrakousai.
    Last edited by Satapatiš; July 01, 2020 at 03:34 PM.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

Well, not much but my worst was Hamilcar Barca, Hannibal father. On three campaigns with Carthage I always lost him too soon. On the first one, he rebelled together with a full stack during an expedition to Gaul, on another I lost him on a naval battle and the last one also went wrong but I don't remember how.

Only on the most recent one, did he became the great general that he historically was x)

The entire Attalid family tree took turns holding the Spear of Achilles. All of them developed severe dementia in the span of 20 turns. As one family member fell to madness I transferred the spear to another, unknowing of its effects. That +2 morale bonus is too tempting!

As a result by 250BC there wasn’t a single sane family member in the direct line of succession. A Perses Noble took matters into his own hands and Epsteined the entire Attalid line via leaky ship. Then he claimed the Spear of Achilles for himself.

I know, I know. That ancillary has a deadly insanity trait trigger. It took me long enough to connect the dots

Pity Genuos's no longer alive. He'd put the Spear to good use...

Quote Originally Posted by Satapatiš View Post
    Pity Genuos's no longer alive. He'd put the Spear to good use...
    Oh no. That's like stacking Kaioken x20 on top of Super Saiyan Blue, but with insanity

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebopp View Post
    The entire Attalid family tree took turns holding the Spear of Achilles. All of them developed severe dementia in the span of 20 turns. As one family member fell to madness I transferred the spear to another, unknowing of its effects. That +2 morale bonus is too tempting!

As a result by 250BC there wasn’t a single sane family member in the direct line of succession. A Perses Noble took matters into his own hands and Epsteined the entire Attalid line via leaky ship. Then he claimed the Spear of Achilles for himself.

I know, I know. That ancillary has a deadly insanity trait trigger. It took me long enough to connect the dots
    That's brilliant love it

Genuinely curious: why would Spear of Achilles cause insanity?

My Pyrrhos died againt some unsignificant rebel brigands around Athenes just after conquering all of Greece. I was new to the mod at that time and was very unfamiliar with how units are balanced, i mean i'd never thought that my king could die from a 1 vs 1 fight against some light skirmisher cav ! Especially after seeing how tough these infantry generals of Koinon Hellenon are so i thought the same applied for mine. Not a "save scummer" but that was a bit too much so i reloaded a save but never lost a general ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Just let me post View Post
    Genuinely curious: why would Spear of Achilles cause insanity?
    Gameplay-wise, this piece of scripting from export_descr_character_traits.txt

Trigger spear_of_achilles_leaves_side
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
    Condition Attribute Boldness = 1
    and not IsRegionOneOf 152 ; Side
    and Trait Pragmatic < 1
    and Trait Sane < 1

Affects Superstitious 2 Chance 10
    Affects Insane 2 Chance 10
    Affects Deranged 2 Chance 10

Yeah the Spear of Achilles has the most intense insanity triggers in the history of Total War mods.

Lore-wise, the description mentions something about the Gods getting pissed at whoever removes the Spear of Achilles from Side. The God in question is probably Dionysus

Historically, there is literally no basis for this and I'm curious as to how a historically accurate mod would allow this fantasy-type mechanic into the game.

There was a temple supposedly containing the spearhead in the region covered by the in-game province which is larger than the real-world Pamphylia. It was an Ancient tourist attraction.

Ancients commonly believed that insanity is caused by a divine curse. Note that traits preventing a character from being afflicted with it are hinting at balanced personalities.
    Last edited by Satapatiš; July 12, 2020 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satapatiš View Post

Ancients commonly believed that insanity is caused by a divine curse. Note that traits preventing a character from being afflicted with it are hinting at balanced personalities.
    So unbalanced characters would experience a placebo insanity effect caused by ancient perceptions of the Spear? Interesting...