Thread: Curiosity about the rebel faction and how to edit it

Icon1 Curiosity about the rebel faction and how to edit it

I would be curious to know if someone has understood what is the file that controls how many brigands spawn units and with which, in descr_strat you can only set the spawn ratio of brigands and pirates but you can not do anything else, then there is descr_rebel_factions that I do not have understood if the game actually reads it or is not used because it seems to me that certain parameters do not match for example this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    rebel_type brigands
    category brigands
    50 chance
    description brigands
    unit merc peltast
    unit merc illyrian
    unit merc samnite
    unit merc thracian
    unit merc bastarnae
    unit merc sarmatian cavalry
    unit merc horse archers
    unit merc spanish infantry
    unit merc eastern infantry
    unit merc rhodian slingers
    unit merc cretan archers
    unit merc greek hoplites
    unit merc libyan infantry
    unit merc numidian cavalry
    unit merc arab cavalry
    unit merc Bedouin
    unit merc bedouin archers
    unit merc balearic slingers
    unit merc barbarian infantry
    unit merc barbarian cavalry

It seems to me that other units also appear among the brigands such as the rebel general who is not mentioned here and non-mercenary units such as the peasants.
    This makes me think that this file is not used also because I tried to modify it by putting 3 as a chance to all the possible rebellious subcultures but I don't think much has changed.
    Then I would be curious to know the AI behavior of the rebel faction, I think it acts a bit like the senate, I don't think I have ever seen that it attacked a settlement with brigands even in cases where the brigands would certainly have won, I think it limit to keeping armies in a region although I have noticed that sometimes it moves them and only attacks weaker armies usually in ambushes.

The pirates instead make naval blocks and often attack the fleets of the various factions, now I was wondering what the behavior of the rebel faction is when it owns a settlement, the rebel faction does not run the risk of the settlement turning against it so I think that it will always go to maximum taxation a bit like the Senate will, these two factions in fact have a hard-coded bonus that even at 0% of public order the settlements never turn against them. Once I even caught a rebel diplomat aboard a pirate fleet, I think it was a diplomat from an annihilated faction whose armies, agents and fleets became rebels.

I am sure that the rebel AI when it has a settlement in its hands it builds and the culture of the construction depends on the culture to which those rebels belong, it seems to me there is a rebel culture for almost every region which in turn is a subculture of the 6 cultures of the game, I'm less sure about recruiting but I think it does, but probably doesn't recruit agents and fleets. In any case, it seems to me that even when they have a settlement, the rebels always remain on the defensive, at the limit they move reconnaissance troops but always within their own region, never seen an organized rebel attack against a settlement of a normal faction.

Sometimes the brigands also spawn with a family member I noticed and not a generic rebel general, in that case he usually is a good commander and defeating them requires more troops, I also wonder if the rebels are capable of "resurrecting" an annihilated faction as happens in the Paradox games if it occupies a province that originally belonged to that faction but it seems to me that it does not happen, however, they return the command of a region to the original owner if that faction still exists and the region was occupied by another faction.

I seem to have said everything, if someone has something to add or some doubt to clarify, add it as well.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Curiosity about the rebel faction and how to edit it

Sorry for the late response, it's been a long time since I thought about that file. From what I recall however, that might be for when settlements rebel.

Here is additional reading on the topic (related to M2TW but RTW is frequently referenced with information about how the file works in RTW). Only in M2TW do I recall rebel AI attacking (with modded AI), and thats only on hard difficulty or above from what some testers say.

As for the chance you referenced, that seems to be the unrest factor.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...l_factions-txt
    Last edited by z3n; July 21, 2020 at 12:02 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Default Re: Curiosity about the rebel faction and how to edit it

Does anyone know if there is a file that controls which units can spawn as brigands or rebels or is it hard-coded?

descr_rebel_factions.txt is a puzzle, it's not like you can understand exactly how it works.