Thread: [Official AoB Preview #9] 3D Art Dump #2 - Bronze Armours

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Default [Official AoB Preview #9] 3D Art Dump #2 - Bronze Armours

Discord
    Facebook
    ModDB

In a second 3D Art Dump (first can be found here), we show how some of our bronze armour assets are made from scratch.

Hello again! Since the last 3D Art Dump, a lot more work has been put into creating new assets for our characters. This one will showcase three of the latest bronze armours that Benjin has made from scratch while recording video footage of himself doing the work.

For both of the torso armours shown here today, you may notice that they have been labelled as "modular". This means that they are built up of several different parts that can be mixed and matched to create different variations of the same set. This will create a lot more potential for variation for any characters who will be wearing the armour. A diagram of the heavy variant's of the Dendra Armour's modules has been provided to show more clearly how they fit together.

More art dumps will be coming very soon, so stay tuned!

Bronze Armour #1 - Dendra Armour (Modular)

Bronze Armour #2 - Maryannu Scale (Modular)

Bronze Armour #3 - Villanovan Helmet

Last edited by Benjin; July 03, 2020 at 02:55 PM.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Default Re: [Official AoB Preview #8] 3D Art Dump #2 - Bronze Armours

Fantastic work my friend!!

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by M@x1mus View Post
    Fantastic work my friend!!
    Thank you M@x1mus!

Also forgot to mention, if there are any assets you guys wanted to see in particular that would fit well for our setting (Late Bronze Age, 1500-1100BC) and is what you would consider a quintessential element in representing the characters of the time period, make a note of them here + provide reference and I'll consider making a few of them for the next art dump.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Primicerius

I like the Villanovan helmet.

Impressive stuff.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly. (Morticia Addams)

UchihaMadara21's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: [Official AoB Preview #9] 3D Art Dump #2 - Bronze Armours

Hi, i just wanted to say your work is brilliant and i'm very excited for the mod. Been following it for years and it' great to see it's going well.

So about suggestions, i have some i would like to share, which aren't necessarily for the next preview but future additions. You may find some priorities here though, so who knows?

Firstly regarding armour. There are some specific pieces of armor i would love to see, especially if done by you. First, there's the egyptian-style corselet and kilt worn by the Sherden under Ramesses II, which for me is one of the most interesting and unique of the Late Bronze Age.

These Sherden should be a unit of their own ("Sherden Guardsmen", as they are in the mod already), acting as bodyguards for the Pharaoh, while common "untamed" mercenary Sherden would wear the typical Sea Peoples' skirt/tunic (kiton), some of them equipped with "lobster" style cuirasses.

Taken from the reliefs at Abu Simbel (notice how the corselet is tied only to the right side):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

More reference images:

Here in this picture, the author made some Sherden wearing full corselets while others wearing the one tied to the right. I guess something like that could work for unit variation.

The second piece of armor i would like to suggest is the so-called "lobster" cuirass worn by the Sherden and Peleset (Philistines) mentioned above, which aside from other colorful variations, is very similar to these worn by the Mycenaeans.

The Battle of The Delta (1175 BCE), as depicted in the Medinet Habu reliefs:

Lobster cuirass variations, according to Salimbeti:

A) This full bronze armour is composed by chest and back plates, lower bands and shoulder/upper arm protections. Its general design is based on some Achaean armour elements.

B) This bronze cuirass with chest/back plates and lower bands is worn over a linen or other perishable material kiton.

C) This composite cuirass is composed by a bronze chest and backplates, shoulder protection and quilted linen ribbons in the lower area.

D) This other hypothesis shows a non metalic corselet probably made of leather, or other perishable material.

In this other representation a possible Peleset warrior worn a type of defence which seems to be a plain cuirass with shoulder guards and plate reinforcements between them. Its general design could be thus similar to some Achaean bronze armours attested or represented in Crete and Greek mainland.

In this other representation a possible Peleset warrior worn a type of defence which seems to be very flexible and without sleeves or shoulder protections. This colud be interpreted as a light corselet made of quilted linen or other perishable material.

In another representation a possible Peleset warrior worn a type of defence which seems also very flexible and made with several small ribbons and sleeves. Also in this case it could be interpreted as a light corselet or short kiton made of quilted linen or other perishable material.

More references:

The picture above shows at the right a Shekelesh (there's a unit of them if i'm not mistaken) as depicted in Medinet Habu:

This other image by the same artist reimagines the scene from the relief, with the Shekelesh captive as the second character from left to right.

Another suggestion regards to the scale armor worn by New Kingdom Egyptian officers and standard bearers. Although the following reference images are slightly inaccurate (this type of armour wasn't worn by common soldiers), the design is pretty much on point:

This second image shows an egyptian soldier with an oddly-shaped axe. Although the armor is inaccurate, this weapon was introduced in the 19th dinasty as a direct measure against asiatics and sea peoples (Sherden) as it could pierce through their armor. Soldiers equipped with this axe formed an unit of heavy close-combat infantry, and were probably decisive in Ramesses III's war against the sea peoples, especially at the Delta. My idea is that there should be two types of axemen units for the Egyptian roster. One as heavy infantry armed with shield and axe and the other as heavy archers carrying the axe and their shields on their backs, who then could switch from missile to melee infantry when necessary. Then, at the "19th Dinasty Reforms", they would get the new armor-piercing axe and variants of typical egyptian leather cuirass (along with spearmen) and corselet similar to these worn by Sherden. These units of axemen would also be useful "marine" forces, and a counter-measure to the Sea Peoples' invasion.

Some reference images:

Pre-reforms (linen shirt)

Post-reforms (corselet/cuirass):

At last, there's the Mycenaean embossed helmets, the "hedgehog" style ones made of leather and those "tiara" like ones adorned with rushes.

Embossed (bronze/leather):

"Hedgehog style" (leather/fur):

Tiaras:

Source here.
    Last edited by UchihaMadara21; July 27, 2020 at 01:20 AM.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by UchihaMadara21 View Post
    Hi, i just wanted to say your work is brilliant and i'm very excited for the mod. Been following it for years and it' great to see it's going well.

Thank you for the kind words!

So about suggestions, i have some i would like to share, which aren't necessarily for the next preview but future additions. You may find some priorities here though, so who knows?
    Thank you for the kind words!

Please make as many suggestions as you want, I'm always eager to see people's ideas on what should be represented in the mod and have more reference images provided to me (realistic illustrations / interpretations - such as the ones you've provided below - are the best, as it makes it more easier for me to model + texture them). Some of them as you say may take higher priority than others, but I will try to get round to doing them (provided they fit the time period + have some historical basis).

Firstly regarding armour. There are some specific pieces of armor i would love to see, especially if done by you. First, there's the egyptian-style corselet and kilt worn by the Sherden under Ramesses II, which for me is one of the most interesting and unique of the Late Bronze Age.

These Sherden should be a unit of their own ("Sherden Guardsmen", as they are in the mod already), acting as bodyguards for the Pharaoh, while common "untamed" mercenary Sherden would wear the typical Sea Peoples' skirt/tunic (kiton), some of them equipped with "lobster" style cuirasses.

Taken from the reliefs at Abu Simbel (notice how the corselet is tied only to the right side):

More reference images:

Here in this picture, the author made some Sherden wearing full corselets while others wearing the one tied to the right. I guess something like that could work for unit variation.
    Sherden Mercenary Armour - Yeah I agree, I also think that there ought to be a Sherden Mercenary unit separate from the Sherden Guardsmen for the Egyptians, who should definitely look like that. I definitely want to do that sort of armour for the Sea Peoples in the near future. There are actually multiple interpretations for the sash / waist knot, and below in my spoiler are two images showing how I'd interpret it when I get around to modelling it in 3D. In my opinion, it makes more sense for the knot be a part of the lower half of the armour rather than having it tied separately above it as in the first two images above.

The second piece of armor i would like to suggest is the so-called "lobster" cuirass worn by the Sherden and Peleset (Philistines) mentioned above, which aside from other colorful variations, is very similar to these worn by the Mycenaeans.

The Battle of The Delta (1175 BCE), as depicted in the Medinet Habu reliefs:

Lobster cuirass variations, according to Salimbeti:

A) This full bronze armour is composed by chest and back plates, lower bands and shoulder/upper arm protections. Its general design is based on some Achaean armour elements.

B) This bronze cuirass with chest/back plates and lower bands is worn over a linen or other perishable material kiton.

C) This composite cuirass is composed by a bronze chest and backplates, shoulder protection and quilted linen ribbons in the lower area.

D) This other hypothesis shows a non metalic corselet probably made of leather, or other perishable material.

In this other representation a possible Peleset warrior worn a type of defence which seems to be a plain cuirass with shoulder guards and plate reinforcements between them. Its general design could be thus similar to some Achaean bronze armours attested or represented in Crete and Greek mainland.

In this other representation a possible Peleset warrior worn a type of defence which seems to be very flexible and without sleeves or shoulder protections. This colud be interpreted as a light corselet made of quilted linen or other perishable material.

In another representation a possible Peleset warrior worn a type of defence which seems also very flexible and made with several small ribbons and sleeves. Also in this case it could be interpreted as a light corselet or short kiton made of quilted linen or other perishable material.

More references:

The picture above shows at the right a Shekelesh (there's a unit of them if i'm not mistaken) as depicted in Medinet Habu:

This other image by the same artist reimagines the scene from the relief, with the Shekelesh captive as the second character from left to right.
    Bronze Sea People's "Crab" / "Lobster" Cuirass - I definitely plan on doing a set of this sort of armour soon, unpainted bronze and painted (faction masked) versions, as I have recently completely quite a few simple muscle cuirasses (e.g. Dendra above, a Bell cuirass and an Urnfield cuirass). To create the full set of this sort of armour would basically mean doing the exact same process but making a few extra modules (one shoulder + one crab piece duplicated over and over). Expect to see this set of armour for the Sea Peoples / Mycenaeans in the very near future (i.e. weeks).

Linen Sea People's "Crab" / "Lobster" Cuirass - Same thing, but needs to have its own hipoly to bring out that cloth-like detail. Expect this around the same time as the bronze versions, as I'd probably want to do this one at the same time as the bronze (I'd make the modules fit together so that they can be mixed around a bit for extra variation ingame).

Shekelesh Linen Armour - This one looks very easy to make, so I could quickly do that one, along with multiple coloured variations, before 1.8 is released in mid-August. I may want to do just a few new Sea People tunics around that time as well to complete him.

There is also another Sea People linen torso armour I'd like to make as well, based on the image in my spoiler below, which would be pretty simple and potentially fit well with the Shekelesh if provided with the same kind of colours.

Another suggestion regards to the scale armor worn by New Kingdom Egyptian officers and standard bearers. Although the following reference images are slightly inaccurate (this type of armour wasn't worn by common soldiers), the design is pretty much on point:

This second image shows an egyptian soldier with an oddly-shaped axe. Although the armor is inaccurate, this weapon was introduced in the 19th dinasty as a direct measure against asiatics and sea peoples (Sherden) as it could pierce through their armor. Soldiers equipped with this axe formed an unit of heavy close-combat infantry, and were probably decisive in Ramesses III's war against the sea peoples, especially at the Delta. My idea is that there should be two types of axemen units for the Egyptian roster. One as heavy infantry armed with shield and axe and the other as heavy archers carrying the axe and their shields on their backs, who then could switch from missile to melee infantry when necessary. Then, at the "19th Dinasty Reforms", they would get the new armor-piercing axe and variants of typical egyptian leather cuirass (along with spearmen) and corselet similar to these worn by Sherden. These units of axemen would also be useful "marine" forces, and a counter-measure to the Sea Peoples' invasion.

Some reference images:

Pre-reforms (linen shirt)

Post-reforms (corselet/cuirass):

Egyptian Axemen - That's a really good idea, and I'll pass it on to the team members who are in charge of the battles / rosters. I'd definitely be up for making those axes as well. I'd probably recycle the Sea People's linen armour for those Egyptian spearmen too as they look very similar and it'd save me time to work on more unique stuff.

Egyptian Scale Armours
    - The good thing about the Maryannu Scale Armour I showed off before on the original post is that the hipoly details can be recycled for other, new armours. The type of armour I see in the reference images doesn't look quite so different than the one I made, but they're just shorter / coloured differently. I already plan on making some shorter versions of the Maryannu scale with some extra details (e.g. stitched leather wrapping on the edges, some string attachments to the left and ride sides etc), so the Egyptians could probably be equipped with the same sort of thing.

However, I do plan to make an entirely new scale armour piece for the Egyptians to make them stand out more from the rest of the factions carrying the Maryannu Scale Armour - that armour can fit most faction's elite units around that time period, but I don't want to make all elite units look the same; I think that there should be a bit of variation in some of the major factions to make them more unique. The type of armour I want to make for them would be similar, but the actual scale pieces that make the armour would slightly smaller and be narrower at the tip (check images in the spoiler below to see what the shape of the scales would look like). I'd make multiple texture variations; some completely bronze, some bronze + painted, fully painted or bronze + leathery (I read a bit about Egyptian scale armours, and apparently some of the poorer troops may have substituted pieces of bronze scale with leather ones).

At last, there's the Mycenaean embossed helmets, the "hedgehog" style ones made of leather and those "tiara" like ones adorned with rushes.

Embossed (bronze/leather):

"Hedgehog style" (leather/fur):

Mycenaean Bronze Embossed Helmets - Yep, I definitely plan on doing those at some point - they'd be pretty easy for me to do.

Mycenaean "Hedgehog" Leather Helmets - Those are interesting, I'd see about how I could make those convincingly.

Mycenaean Fur Helmets - Would the Mycenaeans / any Aegean faction around that time have been wearing these during the Late Bronze Age (the mod's time period, 1500-1100BC)? These look like the sort of thing they'd be wearing earlier, but I could be wrong.

Tiaras:

Source here.
    Already taken care of those helmets a few months ago. However, I plan on doing the horse hair crest again; the scale I did them at (small individual strands) makes them hardly noticeable ingame when the camera is at a distance. I also need to make the bush / twig crest as well.

Last edited by Benjin; July 30, 2020 at 05:01 AM.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Here are a few screenshots we've uploaded to our various social media sites of the upcoming 1.8 update, showing off some of the new assets I've made (e.g. maryannu scale armour, dendra armour, hittite helmets, mitanni helmets, two-handed epsilon axe (big one) etc).

The screenshots were also taken with Celticus' Orbis Terrarum II lighting + environment reskin mod enabled (nothing else; no GEM, no ReShade - it makes a massive difference).

Hittite Heavy Axemen

Assyrian Provincial Infantry

Mycenaean Heroic Charioteers

Mitanni Noble Infantry

Last edited by Benjin; July 29, 2020 at 07:06 AM.

UchihaMadara21's Avatar Tiro

Amazing pictures! These troops are looking beautiful, can't wait to play!

Thank you for the reply, i'm glad you considered my suggestions and wish you best luck on your projects.

That's a really good idea, and I'll pass it on to the team members who are in charge of the battles / rosters. I'd definitely be up for making those axes as well. I'd probably recycle the Sea People's linen armour for those Egyptian spearmen too as they look very similar and it'd save me time to work on more unique stuff.
    So, i made some extensive research on this particular axe, and found out that it might not been real. There is no archaeological information of it outside of a relief from Abu Simbel depicting Ramesses II supposedly punishing Hittite prisoners, and the object he is seen holding is probably a ceremonial mace and not an axe at all. What instigated me to check this out is the fact that semi-circular axes actually didn't go well against armor, so i asked myself how this oddly-shaped axe could be the "ultimate egyptian weapon against asiatics and sea people". The sources i've read were wrong, and i'm sorry for giving inaccurate information.

Inherent of that, battle axes indeed went through a major change during the New Kingdom, starting at the Thutmoside/18th Dinasty where the classic semi-circular epsilon axe slowly began falling out of use in favor of medium to long tang-type ones. This is seen on the reliefs of Hatshepsut's mortuary temple built around 1500 BC:

The Battle Ax of Baki, dated around 1505-1447 BC, is a surviving example:

This one, dated from the same period, would be even more effective:

Later in the reign of 19th Dinasty, axes got sharper, specifically designed to pierce armor, and were a common equipment among professional infantry alongside the corselet armor and kilt. The following pictures (copied from Abu Simbel by Jean-François Champollion) are a clear example:

The way professional close combat infantry seems to use both spears and axes presents a problem for recreation into the game, since Rome 2's engine doesn't allow melee troops to swap between weapons (if i'm not mistaken). So, a definitive way to solve the issue would be having four distinct armoured professional units by the time of Ramesses II war with the Hittites: spearmen, swordsmen with khopesh, axemen (one-handed, with shields) and archers mixing linen armor, shirts and bare-chested appearances. They should have small bronze daggers as secondary weapons, as depicted here.

To perfectly simulate Ramesses II's elite companion archers (see below), an elite archer model with a long skirt under the corselet could be placed on a bodyguard/royal chariot unit along with Maryannu.

Detailed information here.

More on he "19th Dinasty Reforms" suggestion:
    I never explained when and how these reforms should happen, so here it is:

By the reign of Hatshepsut (1479 BC), there should be a "transitory" period where a new medium infantry axemen unit armed with tang-type axes would be available for recruitment alongside classic epsilon axemen. This new axemen unit shouldn't have any armor (like the ones depicted at the mortuary temple), and initially not be so much better than the old ones. That would go until the second year of Ramesses II (1278 BC), when he stops a Sherden coastal raid on egyptian territory. The next year, so-called "Ramessesid Reforms" would take place, with the incorporation of Sherden mercenaries into the egyptian army and the complete professionalization of the four core citizen infantry units (egyptian spearmen, swordsmen, axemen and archers), which would give them armour variants (some with corselets, others with leather cuirasses, others with shirts, some bare-chested in the case of archers, etc.), conical padded leather caps, very effective armour-piercing attributes for the axemen and better stats in general. The player should be able to upgrade old citizen troops, and the epsilon axe would be definitely retired in favour of the new one. Royal Chariots would get the elite archers as a small addition.

Those in-game reforms would match the reforms that took place in this period, which reorganized the profissional army and separated it on distinct divisions named after the egyptian gods.

Mycenaean Fur Helmets - Would the Mycenaeans / any Aegean faction around that time have been wearing these during the Late Bronze Age (the mod's time period, 1500-1100BC)? These look like the sort of thing they'd be wearing earlier, but I could be wrong.
    According to the
    source i've read, the "fur helmet" interpretation comes from mycenanean pottery dating from 1200-1070 BC, which would set them at Late Bronze Age. These indeed look archaic tough, and my guess is that they were worn by militia or levies. That could work for low-tier units or even mobs.

About ships
    I remember once reading that you had plans for ships in the future. I'm not familiar with Rome 2's naval battles engine, but something tells me it may be difficult to work with. Barbarian and other hovering ships could be a solution though since they have no ramming mode. So, could the answer be aligning the new 3D model dimensions with those from the vanilla game source (to prevent the sight of units floating or buried in the deck), just swap the models and then copy/paste collision points?

This is unknown territorry for me so i have no idea on how it could work.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

So, i made some extensive research on this particular axe, and found out that it might not been real. There is no archaeological information of it outside of a relief from Abu Simbel depicting Ramesses II supposedly punishing Hittite prisoners, and the object he is seen holding is probably a ceremonial mace and not an axe at all. What instigated me to check this out is the fact that semi-circular axes actually didn't go well against armor, so i asked myself how this oddly-shaped axe could be the "ultimate egyptian weapon against asiatics and sea people". The sources i've read were wrong, and i'm sorry for giving inaccurate information.
    No problem - I shared the info with the team and they themselves said that they had studied it before and came to the same conclusion. Knowing that now if I ever did want to do an axe like that, it'd probably be extremely low priority (don't know if it was real or not).

Inherent of that, battle axes indeed went through a major change during the New Kingdom, starting at the Thutmoside/18th Dinasty where the classic semi-circular epsilon axe slowly began falling out of use in favor of medium to long tang-type ones. This is seen on the reliefs of Hatshepsut's mortuary temple built around 1500 BC:

The Battle Ax of Baki, dated around 1505-1447 BC, is a surviving example:

This one, dated from the same period, would be even more effective:

Later in the reign of 19th Dinasty, axes got sharper, specifically designed to pierce armor, and were a common equipment among professional infantry alongside the corselet armor and kilt. The following pictures (copied from Abu Simbel by Jean-François Champollion) are a clear example:

The way professional close combat infantry seems to use both spears and axes presents a problem for recreation into the game, since Rome 2's engine doesn't allow melee troops to swap between weapons (if i'm not mistaken). So, a definitive way to solve the issue would be having four distinct armoured professional units by the time of Ramesses II war with the Hittites: spearmen, swordsmen with khopesh, axemen (one-handed, with shields) and archers mixing linen armor, shirts and bare-chested appearances. They should have small bronze daggers as secondary weapons, as depicted here.

To perfectly simulate Ramesses II's elite companion archers (see below), an elite archer model with a long skirt under the corselet could be placed on a bodyguard/royal chariot unit along with Maryannu.

Detailed information here.

More on he "19th Dinasty Reforms" suggestion:
    I never explained when and how these reforms should happen, so here it is:

By the reign of Hatshepsut (1479 BC), there should be a "transitory" period where a new medium infantry axemen unit armed with tang-type axes would be available for recruitment alongside classic epsilon axemen. This new axemen unit shouldn't have any armor (like the ones depicted at the mortuary temple), and initially not be so much better than the old ones. That would go until the second year of Ramesses II (1278 BC), when he stops a Sherden coastal raid on egyptian territory. The next year, so-called "Ramessesid Reforms" would take place, with the incorporation of Sherden mercenaries into the egyptian army and the complete professionalization of the four core citizen infantry units (egyptian spearmen, swordsmen, axemen and archers), which would give them armour variants (some with corselets, others with leather cuirasses, others with shirts, some bare-chested in the case of archers, etc.), conical padded leather caps, very effective armour-piercing attributes for the axemen and better stats in general. The player should be able to upgrade old citizen troops, and the epsilon axe would be definitely retired in favour of the new one. Royal Chariots would get the elite archers as a small addition.

Those in-game reforms would match the reforms that took place in this period, which reorganized the profissional army and separated it on distinct divisions named after the egyptian gods.
    Egyptian Axes - Rest assured, I do plan on getting around to these as well sometime. First I want to get the more difficult / complex, more noticeable pieces (e.g. torso armours, helmets) done before moving solely onto weapons and shields. The mod currently has some nice placeholders for these types of axes I think.

Unit + Roster Suggestions - I'll pass that along to the rest of the team as well.

I don't think it'd be possible to add archers + Maryannu to the actual general bodyguard as you suggestion, but they could be made into their own little units for the Egyptian roster.

According to the source i've read, the "fur helmet" interpretation comes from mycenanean pottery dating from 1200-1070 BC, which would set them at Late Bronze Age. These indeed look archaic tough, and my guess is that they were worn by militia or levies. That could work for low-tier units or even mobs.
    Ah, that's interesting. In that case, they could fit rather well for really low tier troops, even mobs.

About ships
    I remember once reading that you had plans for ships in the future. I'm not familiar with Rome 2's naval battles engine, but something tells me it may be difficult to work with. Barbarian and other hovering ships could be a solution though since they have no ramming mode. So, could the answer be aligning the new 3D model dimensions with those from the vanilla game source (to prevent the sight of units floating or buried in the deck), just swap the models and then copy/paste collision points?

This is unknown territorry for me so i have no idea on how it could work.
    Yep, you've got it in one - that is what I plan to do exactly if making my own ship XML / transferring ones from other Total War games (e.g. Shogun 2's "Bow Kobaya" ship collision + size + crew arrangement seems pretty decent for an Egyptian bow ship in TW:R2) doesn't go smoothly. Making entirely new ships from scratch, along with making those files, is a rather tricky business so I may end up going with the easier solution of just replacing the artwork for existing ships but keeping the actual functionalities the same.