Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOB StartPos Launcher Issue

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Default BOB StartPos Launcher Issue

Hi everyone,

So I've just come back into modding TOB in the last few days and I'm sure many of you are aware that the old launcher has been removed by CA. Apparently the Assembly Kit works with the new launcher but that doesn't seem to be the case with me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StartPos.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	362021

The old issue of BOB not being able to locate the new launcher seems to still be occurring.

Just to clear up, I've tried:
    - A fresh install of both TOB and the Assembly Kit (deleting all associated files once uninstalled)
    - Deleting the launcher folder and reinstalling
    - Verifying all game files
    - Verifying the tool files

None of this seems to work and BOB is still giving me the same error when it tries to compile even a start pos with no changes made to it.

I haven't seen many people still having this issue with TOB, but that might be because there aren't many people modding it at the moment.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I've contacted CA about it but I doubt I will have been the first to let them know this issue is back.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: BOB StartPos Launcher Issue

If I remember correctly, the issue were same for R2/Attila/ToB so if this is true then AK for each of those games won´t be possible to process Startpos.. :/
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Hopefully it is all of the games that are effected, because if it's just TOB, I don't think CA will bother to do much about it.t

Souron's Avatar Civis

So i have a assembly kit mod work in progress. and i just run the mod build for the start POS and it seemed to work just fine with the new launcher. are yopu making sure to manually move files around and tick them under database before running the start pos build? its really annoying but it should work if mine is working.

not the best explanation i know but there are basically some files that need moving around before youc an compile the start pos file because the exstracts dont move them properly. happy to explain if you want

Feel free to add me on discord if you need any help.

Souron#0409
    Last edited by Souron; June 28, 2020 at 01:38 PM.

Taking Thrones of Britannia back to pre-roman Britian

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Souron View Post
    So i have a assembly kit mod work in progress. and i just run the mod build for the start POS and it seemed to work just fine with the new launcher. are yopu making sure to manually move files around and tick them under database before running the start pos build? its really annoying but it should work if mine is working.

not the best explanation i know but there are basically some files that need moving around before youc an compile the start pos file because the exstracts dont move them properly. happy to explain if you want

Feel free to add me on discord if you need any help.

Souron#0409
    Hi Souron, that's good to hear that it's working for you - hopefully means there is something that I am doing wrong.

This is the link I followed to make sure I was moving the right folders and files and ticking the correct boxes so would be good to know if you do it differently at any point and that might help discover the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI1qDBs-nDo

I tried again earlier today and got no luck but I will try again now and see if there is something I did wrong at some point but pretty sure I followed the example above exactly.

Souron's Avatar Civis

I wonder if its because i hadnt edited anything since before the update. i have backed up my mod file and will try editing a few things now to see if that changes anything. Either way i would be happy to go through it with you in a voice call or something at some point just to make sure you arent missing any little steps i might have overlooked.

i too also watcxhed that video and it was super helpful but one tiny thing wrong or out of place and the whole thing comes crashing down!

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

I wonder if its because i hadnt edited anything since before the update. i have backed up my mod file and will try editing a few things now to see if that changes anything. Either way i would be happy to go through it with you in a voice call or something at some point just to make sure you arent missing any little steps i might have overlooked.

i too also watcxhed that video and it was super helpful but one tiny thing wrong or out of place and the whole thing comes crashing down!
    That's me just tried it again and still getting the same issue - followed that YouTube video exactly there so my thinking is it must be something else.

Will be interesting to see if, once you've made changes, yours continues to work. If you notice that there is anything slightly different you do to that video, let me know because at the moment that is exactly how I have done it.

Going to uninstall and re-install the Assembly Kit again and try just making a slight unit change or something like that and see if I can get it to work - but I have tried this a few times over the last couple days and no luck! Any help would be appreciated!

Souron's Avatar Civis

So i just tried editing one line in the start_pos_settelments file and no dice. it failed to work the way i would normally use it. even weirder when i put the file i know worked back in and run it again it no longer work now too O.o

i swear this tool just has a mind of its own. going to do a little more testing but so far its not looking great. This is what really fristrated me about CA. we are perfectly happy modding the game witht he oldlauncher because clearly the new one doesnt work properly and then they force us to update and render the tools useless to modders.

might consider posting a disucssion on the game and see if that gets notcied at all but i doubt it.

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

So i just tried editing one line in the start_pos_settelments file and no dice. it failed to work the way i would normally use it. even weirder when i put the file i know worked back in and run it again it no longer work now too O.o

i swear this tool just has a mind of its own. going to do a little more testing but so far its not looking great. This is what really fristrated me about CA. we are perfectly happy modding the game witht he oldlauncher because clearly the new one doesnt work properly and then they force us to update and render the tools useless to modders.

might consider posting a disucssion on the game and see if that gets notcied at all but i doubt it.
    That is just bizarre. I can't understand how they didn't test this more than once before rolling it out. The biggest issue we face now is that, unless the other TW games are affected in the same way, I don't think they will bother trying to fix this any time soon. I emailed the support at CA and got a generic response - I'll update if they get back to me. Apart from that, anything we can do to get their attention would be useful. Otherwise modding TOB just became basically impossible.

Souron's Avatar Civis

yeah good shout. i wonder if they will even reply to the email.

i just posted this to see if it helps but i doubt it.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/.../?appid=712100

same issue for R2/Attila/ToB...BoB cannot process startpos with new launcher and open_beta for launcher is not working..

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...cannot_locate/

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    same issue for R2/Attila/ToB...BoB cannot process startpos with new launcher and open_beta for launcher is not working..

At least with the issue being over several games CA might be more inclined to actually destroy something about it

Souron's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
    At least with the issue being over several games CA might be more inclined to actually destroy something about it
    Well this is at least a little more comforting thats its not just ToB. Will have to keep my fingers crossed i sent out a tweet and also a thread on the official forums

damn..i re-checked R2/Attila, my bad.. Looks like both games are running fine and processing startpos correctly. I tracked it to this..
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...a_and_rome_ii/
    CA forgot ToB...my last attempt to compile ToB startpos via AK were around January..with old launcher probably.
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 28, 2020 at 06:04 PM.

Souron's Avatar Civis

damn..i re-checked R2/Attila, my bad.. Looks like both games are running fine and processing startpos correctly. I tracked it to this..
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...a_and_rome_ii/
    CA forgot ToB...my last attempt to compile ToB startpos via AK were around January..with old launcher probably.
    NO WAY!? CA forgot ToB! SHOCKER :') i know my mod was working before the main game updated so yeah weird one. i am going to make a small mod just to test this but im absolutly convinced they havent fixed it for us like they have atilla and rome 2.

in that reddit thread, there is one comment about moving manually files around..to make it works. That is what you were reffering to Sauron? Can you elaborate? But as I understand,it is no longer working...

Souron's Avatar Civis

in that reddit thread, there is one comment about moving manually files around..to make it works. That is what you were reffering to Sauron? Can you elaborate? But as I understand,it is no longer working...

Yeah so basically. for the longest time we have had to extract single files in tweak and then befor loading BoB we would move files from certain areas assembly_kit\raw_data\EmpireDesignData & assembly_kit\working_data\db and you would move them into assembly_kit\raw_data\EmpireDesignData\campaigns\vik_attila for example. there is another step on BoB itself and its basically just selecting any files int he database section on the left hand side that would have been edited. and then when all of this has been done you are good to tick the startpos.esf and start the build process but it only wokred ont he old launcher and doesnt seemt o be working for ToB on the new launcher currently.

Souron's Avatar Civis

Got a reply from CA Grace saying she would look into it so fingers crossed!

Malcolm's Avatar Miles

Got a reply from CA Grace saying she would look into it so fingers crossed!
    That's good news. I hope they get the old launcher back out there until it's fixed.

Nah, they will not bring back old launcher, more likely they will hotfix current one. Which is enough....so finger crossed guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast