Thread: Troop Type Recruitment

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Troop Type Recruitment

This is something that's eluding me a bit in TW3K - how do I recruit better troops, apart from doing the necessary reforms?

It's not as simple as constructing better barracks like in previous TW games. You have to do a combination of reforms, good generals, I think also provinces? I'm a bit confused on how do I get better troops than simple Archer Militia (who btw you can recruit even after you upgrade to normal Archers).

Any ideas?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Troop Type Recruitment

If you want better troops than Tier 1 militias, you need to recruit them as retinue of a same class general. For example only strategists (water class character) can recruit regular archers and regular crossbowmen (water class units).
    You can quickly identify the characters types and their respective units class by their color code. Green generals can recruit Tier II and Tier III green units. Red characters can recruit red units. Etc.

To add some confusion, Imperial Guard Tier units can be recruited regardless of characters type. I do not know if it is on purpose or if it is a error CA has yet to fix. Regardless, it is the way the game work.

To have even more confusion, unique faction units can be recruited by all of their faction characters regardless of characters.

So lets do a final example to make it a little more concrete.

A strategist character (water class / aka blue color) can recruit every type of tier I militia units + tier II and tier III waters units (aka archers + crossbowmen + horse archers units) + imperial guards units (if you have unlocked them). If you play Cao Cao faction, your strategist can also recruit Cao Cao unique shock cavalry units even as shock cavalry are fire type units.

A vanguard character (fire class / aka red color) can recruit every type of tier I militia units + tier II and tier III waters units (shock cavalry) + imperial guards units (if you have unlocked them). If you play Liu Bei faction, your vanguard character can also recruit Liu Bei unique archers units even as archers are water type units.

At the start of the campaign all you unlock through technology are Tier I militia units. So you need to progress on the technology tree and then recruit better units with the adequate characters. So make sure you unlock a specific type of units only if you are using or plan to use their respective character type. There is no point to unlock crossbowmen if you do not plan to field strategists characters.

I'm completely confused. Does this affect Records mode? I only play Records mode, if that helps, because I've never seen water-type or fire-type.

I saw that some of them are colour coded, like one is green one is red, this applies to Records as well?

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

I only play Romance mode but I am sure it affect Records mode too.

Check this page :

https://totalwar.fandom.com/wiki/Wu_Xing

and 2 pcitures :

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

CA made a video about this buffed rock paper scissors with Chinese flavor :

If you have the time for it.

If the element thing confuse you, just think about the color : with some exceptions (militias + imperial guard + faction unique units) a character can only recruit same color units.

Alright now it makes more sense with the detailed graphical explanation. So basically I have to recruit the proper generals and of course make sure I have the right reforms done in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Alright now it makes more sense with the detailed graphical explanation. So basically I have to recruit the proper generals and of course make sure I have the right reforms done in place.
    Precisely. A word of warning though; beware of "tunnel vision" when it comes to unlocking Reforms. By this I mean don't automatically focus on the Reforms that grant new types of unit over anything else. Some of those, particularly the early green Reforms, grant really bad units that will be outdated very early in the game.

I always focus my reforms on building up my economy or giving some faction-stabilisation bonus like public order. Once that is sorted I can move on to military improvements.