Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Full install for Stainless Steel 6.4, Meloo Fix, Steam compatible

Default Re: Full install for Stainless Steel 6.4, Meloo Fix, Steam compatible

Hey Gigantus, how should i prevent crashes in order to play Stainless Steel smoothly? Much appreciated.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Make sure you install the fix in the second post. Otherwise there isn't much to prevent crashes - other then wildly clicking around in the menu before starting a game.

Alright, thank you!

Foederatus

Thank you for your work!

Blog Entries

I am getting an CTD every time I try to fight a battle even after installing it with this guide. "Medieval 2 has encountered an unspecified error". Etc.

Is there anything else I need to do? Something I'm doing wrong?

I'm using windows 10 and installed the game on D:\SteamLibrary.

I tried it reinstalling it several times but always get missing files after I run the game. The file checker runs after install and I don't get any missing files, but then I choose my submods from the setup, run the game and instantly get bad files. Sometimes 8, sometimes 14.

I also tried running the install, the setup and the game as admin but it doesn't keep this from happening. Also tried to disable Windows Security and UAC for both the game and the install/setup.

Also tried a clean install of Medieval 2, didn't work.
    Last edited by greywarden; May 11, 2021 at 03:50 PM.

Blog Entries

The file checker checks if the original files have installed properly - if you install a sub mod and then run the checker it will flag the files from the sub mod as 'CRC mismatch' because they have been replaced, perfectly normal.

The error you describe seems to be the loading screen crash - have you installed the hot fix in the second post? You will have to install your sub mod after that again to make sure the fix didn't overwrite any sub mod files.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    The file checker checks if the original files have installed properly - if you install a sub mod and then run the checker it will flag the files from the sub mod as 'CRC mismatch' because they have been replaced, perfectly normal.

The error you describe seems to be the loading screen crash - have you installed the hot fix in the second post? You will have to install your sub mod after that again to make sure the fix didn't overwrite any sub mod files.
    Hi, thanks for the answer.

I have installed the fix after installing SS, without selecting the submods or even launching the game.

At this point I even tried unpacking the game which only made it worse, tried reinstalling it countless times. Very frustrating.

I tried it with another mod (Third Age) also using your setup and the same thing is happening, loading screen crash.

Blog Entries

Shouldn't happen in Third Age, that one works fine. In Stainless Steel there was the issue with the loading screen crash but after applying the hot fix it should work fine.

Unpacking the game does not provide any advantage as the game reads those files anyhow if they are not present in the mod. It only reduces space on your hard drive.

My rather drastic suggestion would be to completely re-install M2TW (to clean up the unpacking**), but before that do check the launch options if you have the Steam version, you can access them by right clicking the game in Steam's library and then choosing 'properties'. Open the launch option and remove any content.

** if you want to unpack for modding purposes then use my 'external' method, eg unpack outside the game folder.

Shouldn't happen in Third Age, that one works fine. In Stainless Steel there was the issue with the loading screen crash but after applying the hot fix it should work fine.

Unpacking the game does not provide any advantage as the game reads those files anyhow if they are not present in the mod. It only reduces space on your hard drive.

My rather drastic suggestion would be to completely re-install M2TW (to clean up the unpacking**), but before that do check the launch options if you have the Steam version, you can access them by right clicking the game in Steam's library and then choosing 'properties'. Open the launch option and remove any content.

** if you want to unpack for modding purposes then use my 'external' method, eg unpack outside the game folder.
    I tried reinstalling M2TW twice, and my game is not unpacked atm I just did it to check if it would fix the CTD. And there is nothing written in the launch options.

Any other ideas?

And You were right, it does seem to be a loading screen crash, sometimes it even crashes on the initial loading screen. Thanks a lot for the help.

Blog Entries

Try by removing these files, this will return loading screen text to default and may resolve the issue:

data\descr_quotes_lookup.txt
    data\descr_transition_screen.txt
    data\text\quotes.txt
    data\text\quotes.string.bin

Foederatus

Sorry to ask that but is the "G5 Settlement Fixes All in 1" included or only the "SS6.4 BUGFIX COMPILATION v1.27" ?? (If yes can you add this info to the "Changes to original Installation" changelog on page 1)

Blog Entries

Only Meloo's Fix is included.

Foederatus

Ok thank you and is the "v1.27 ADDENDUMS" included?

If no i just can add both "G5 Settlement Fixes All in 1" & "v1.27 ADDENDUMS" manually right?

Blog Entries

Let me simply quote the version history to forestall further 'it is in there?' questions:
    26 June 2020
    - includes 6.3, 6.4 and Meloo Fix 1.27
    - file verification after installation
    - all small caps for easy MAC use
    - automated Steam Mod Fix

Used to play SS back in 2016, but this version/ package of the mod seems even MORE unstable. I also included the patch in your second post. In fact, as soon as I restarted the game after loading that patch..it crashed immediately before I could even continue the campaign. Its crashing almost every 10th turn when I load a battle and once when I was reloading a quick save. Gives the old " TW has encountered an error and will now close"

What gives?

Try by removing these files, this will return loading screen text to default and may resolve the issue:

data\descr_quotes_lookup.txt
    data\descr_transition_screen.txt
    data\text\quotes.txt
    data\text\quotes.string.bin
    Sorry for the late answer, I haven't been able to test it until now.

This solution diminished the crashes during loading screens but I'm getting them, the game also crashes during battles and end turns sometimes. Is there anything else I can do? I really miss playing this mod lol. It alternates between "fatal graphics error" and "unspecified error".

Thanks a lot for the help.

edit: It's happening during battles too =/
    Last edited by greywarden; May 19, 2021 at 08:08 PM.

After 60 turns...and some changes as above it now mainly crashes consistently during multi-army siege battles...which I know is nothing new from my prior experience years ago. Very frustrating when I know the AI will lose when I can probably win.

Why does it do this still after all these "bug fixes" over the years?

Having a problem where no family members for any faction has their respective "Of (Faction Type) Blood" trait whenever I start a campaign, have tried both early and late era campaigns to check but neither works.

Now it just crashes all the time. Gonna try to reinstall without the hotfix patch...

If that doesn't work, I am done with this Mod....