Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Full install for Stainless Steel 6.4, Meloo Fix, Steam compatible

Default Re: Full install for Stainless Steel 6.4, Meloo Fix, Steam compatible

@gigantus , no, unfortunately does not help. I have moved all my army and performed all the fights but crashes again and again.
    Now the game crashes as soon as I want to start Load Game. I have made several "Save game" and when I start the game crashes during turn 144. -.- -.- :S

how to remove meloo fix? i have encountered more crash with meloo fix than i had before.

also meloo fix changed some thing in the game i am not sure if it is bug or intended. for example in stables there are not any horse units i can recruit, when i check through what it offer in next levels, it shows only kings men in the last 2 stables ( wtf?) 3 lvl stables to get only kings men? also some regional units in my castles. like in Iberia i can recruit javelin units from spain or which faction has it. or in Scandinavia i can recruit norse soldier ( norway and denmark units ). this is all good and whatnot but game crash increased with meloo fix. i have had no problem without it, and i think i will look to remove it. if not i will clean install SS 6.4 without meloo fix. somehow this meloo fix caused more harm than good.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

The crashes may be not related to the Meloo fix but to the changes that were introduced to Windows etc. over the recent months. I've noticed that it's the case for the SSHIP - a few players reported more crashes that turned out to be not related to the mod, but to their settings of graphics etc.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    The crashes may be not related to the Meloo fix but to the changes that were introduced to Windows etc. over the recent months. I've noticed that it's the case for the SSHIP - a few players reported more crashes that turned out to be not related to the mod, but to their settings of graphics etc.
    hey, i explained here my problem to gigantus and were trying to fix the ss 6.4 end turn crash issue by installing meloo fix ( thought it might help ) https://steamcommunity.com/app/4700/...8671864954993/ my steam username is Holy Templar.

so i installed meloo fix, game started to crash more than ever. i am not a new medieval 2 or SS player. i have played since the game released. before meloo fix i was playing with england ( part of my gameplay finish game with every faction. and england is easy to play i pushed her to bottom of the list ) so i played till 119 turn with england without meloo fix. i have had maybe 3-5 crash which was huge battle related. my city was crusaded andi had to defend vs 3 full stack enemy, i was winning but game would crash sometimes during the end of the battle screen, sometimes when next action would supposed to take place after that battle. in my campaign after teutonic is destroyed game would crash in end turn. gigantus told me it was about ''becomefactionleader'' bug or something. so i installed meloo fix ( thinking maybe it would fix the end turn crash i am having ) it did not fix. so i started another campaign with norway vh-vh. i played around 24 turn after i installed meloo fix. game crashed more in turn 24 than it did in my england campaign for 119 turns without meloo fix.

settings are game recommended considering the age of the game with my pc i should not be having any problem with highest settings, i only change resolution to 1920x1080 when i fresh install. will try with lowest settings.

btw i also installed new SS 6.4 with meloo fix from the topic gigantus shared ( steam compatible ) maybe that would help but it did not unfortunately. copied my old save file to newly installed direction to test it.

as you can see, in my experience plain ss 6.4 is a way to go. i also considered maybe my england campaign save files was corrupted that is why i started norway campaign to check it. as you might guess, if the game crash on early turns this much, how would it be in later turns when i have multiple battles in one end turn.

my england campaign save back-up was in turn 115, i could play 7 hours maybe to get the progress till turn 119 crash maybe take other routes. however, when i load the save 115 it shows teutonic destroyed ( but i destroyed them in turn 119 as a last resort because they attacked me, i was protecting them till they attacked me ). somehow even my older save files are messed up idk why maybe it was re-written as part of the autosave. but the date in save 115 is January 15 so there is also that. also the turn 115 also started to crash as turn 119. no action happens, when i click end turn game just crash with error message. 40 hours of campaign goes into the drain.

i did not expect it would be this long. i am lost for i have nothing else to do. my bad luck is on the stage i presume. rip english and curtain.

Hi gigantus, I downloaded the file from mega but it wants a password for extraction and I could not find it on this thread. Any ideas?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I am not aware the upload is password protected. Please contact Veteraan (the uploader) about it or use one of the other uploads, mediafire should be fine.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

I'm fairly sure I didn't use a password, but at my age you start forgetting things. However, this is the first time I was ever contacted about problems with the SS file I host. I can download it myself without any problem, but I'm not sure if that goes for others also. It would be nice if somebody else could try to download the file. Well, I guess if you can start the download that would be proof that it works, no need to download the whole thing. If there are problems, I probably will remove it. There should be enough other ways to download SS by now.
    Last edited by Veteraan; February 23, 2022 at 01:15 PM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Blog Entries

If there never was a password then there is no need to take the upload down. Something else must have been happening there. Maybe an uncommon app to open the compressed file?

This one certainly would work correctly: 7Zip is freeware

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Thought as much. I will keep the link going for the time I remain on this site.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Blog Entries

Thanks, appreciated.

Hello. I downloaded from torrent and followed the instructions but game crashes when i try to start a campaign. sometimes it starts. My pc has win 10, i tried running in win7 and win xp sp3 compatibility while running as admin. It still happens. I saw a lot of issues and fixes so im kind of lost in what to do. Now tried everything with xp sp3 compatiility and it doesnt work? what can i do?

Blog Entries

The only fix required will be the one in the second post.
    You can improve stability of the game in general by applying this to the executable file.

When running the installer it keeps getting errors claiming it can't create certain files and that I will have to run the installer again.

Blog Entries

Is it a general error or does it specify a file? It's very likely a faulty download otherwise. Re-download or use the torrent download, then try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Is it a general error or does it specify a file? It's very likely a faulty download otherwise. Re-download or use the torrent download, then try again.
    Ok, I've fixed the issue with installation. Everything has been working except when I edit the data files. It causes the save games to crash and the only way to play is to start a new campaign. How can I get it to allow me to edit the SS data files and not crash on savegames? I've been modding Medieval II since it came out so I know what I'm changing isn't what's crashing it. Are changes no longer save game compatible with this version?

Blog Entries

It depends on what files you are editing, while most files in the data directory are save game compatible a number cause bugs (non fatal\graphics) and the odd one will lead to a crash depending on what you edit inside it.

Plus there is the file amendment system of SS's launcher when changing settings plus the copy\back up mechanics involved as well - all of it making editing SS a tad complicated at times.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 07, 2022 at 09:40 PM.

I'm editing export_descr_buildings and export_descr_unit, what can I change to allow them to be edited? I'm unable to edit a single thing in these files. I've never had this issue with Stainless Steel before so I don't know what's different about this version and what I can do to fix it. I've played SS for years and it was always fine before. I'm not sure where to disable any file checks. I tried removing the hotseat check but it didn't work and I only play offline.
    Last edited by cowbell kid; March 07, 2022 at 10:49 PM.

Blog Entries

The hot seat file check should not come into force in a regular campaign. And once again - it depends what you edit in those files. You may also have unwittingly introduced a formatting issue by using an unsuitable editor like MS Word. Or used SPACE instead of TAB.

I've done some testing with it and it doesn't matter what I edit in any of the files, any changes to the file causes a crash. I've never had this issue before. It's not what I'm changing in the file, it's something with the game. I installed stainless steel from a different source and it doesn't have this problem. So something must be wrong with this version and how it checks files. Because literally noting can be changed at all or the game will crash when loading a save. You have to start a new campaign after each edit. I've never had this issue and it doesn't matter how small of a thing I edit it still still crash so I don't know what's wrong with this version. I could change the attack of a unit and it would crash, or maybe it's cost or anything at all. I have no idea how to fix it.
    Last edited by cowbell kid; March 08, 2022 at 12:20 AM.

Blog Entries

It's surprising and shouldn't really happening as you say. Other then adding the Meloo Fix I have not modified anything else, nor have I heard about this issue before, so I am a bit at a loss, although the global issue still leaves me with suspecting that something went wrong when editing\saving a file. Some editors (like MSWord, WordPad) leave hidden formatting that totally messes up the game.