Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Full install for Stainless Steel 6.4, Meloo Fix, Steam compatible

Default Re: Full install for Stainless Steel 6.4, Meloo Fix, Steam compatible

Whilst this compilation was sorely needed, and I thank Gigantus for creating it, I'd just like to highlight for anyone intending to play BGRV that BGRV is not compatible with Meloo's Bug Fix Compilation, and so this installation compilation cannot be used as a foundation for BGRV, as the bug fix compilation is installed as part of the process.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Added relevant note to opening post.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    IntroductionWhen the mod got released back in 2010 (?) with it's insistence on using the kingdoms executable that was perfectly fine. Even when Steam came on the scene with a different installation path the mod coped.
    And then Steam merged the kingdoms executable into the medieval2 executable and all bets were off. Eventually copying and renaming the medieval2 executable took care of that, but by that time there was already an additional patch out plus the fairly essential 'Meloo Fix' - making the installation a tedious affair.
    This one piece installer takes care of all that.

None of the mod's game files have been altered\edited. All 'rights' are with the original author(s).

InstallationThis is one of my 'click through' installations, some instructions follow underneath:

· As long as your registry is fine the installer will find the correct installation path. If not, simply follow the instruction displayed in the installer.
    · At the end of the installation a file verification will take place, allow it to finish, check for error messages (see picture in spoiler), close it and finalize the installation.
    · Also at the end will be a check if the kingdoms executable is present. If the file is absent then a renamed copy of the medieval2 executable will be created - the same principle as in my Steam Mod Fixer. The small BAT file will exit with one the these three messages:

wrong path
    - it means that Stainless Steel is not in the correct directory. This can only happen if the installation path was manually changed
    success - the kingdoms executable has been created, the default for Steam users who do not use the Steam Mod Fix method
    not needed - the default for disk users and Steam users you use the Steam Mod Fix method

· Steam users
    : no need to do anything extra - simply start the mod with it's desktop shortcuts once you have run the installer.

Spoiler for verification picture

Changes to original Installation26 June 2020
    - includes 6.3, 6.4 and Meloo Fix 1.27
    - file verification after installation
    - all small caps for easy MAC use
    - automated Steam Mod Fix
    DownloadTorrent Download - click here
    The original file is hosted by myself and the torrent file is hosted here at TWC, making it a totally safe download. Credit to Veteraan and Seether who were instrumental in seeding the torrent.

Mega.nz
    - thanks to VeteraanGoogle Drive - thanks to Lifthrasir Mediafire - thanks to Seether

Note: unfortunately "Byg's Grim Reality" is not compatible with this repack as has been confirmed by Heskey.
    Hi, can you please help me install this mod? I have a hard time with computers. Once I download it, I am confused on what to do next. My PC runs on Windows 7. Any help or advice would be awesome

Can you guys please help me download the Stainless mod? I am confused on what to do unfortunately. MY PC is windows 7.

Blog Entries

Well, there are 4 links in the download section, one of them a torrent. Simply use those links? Mediafire is most likely the easiest to use if you aren't familiar with downloading things. Click link here, click link in the webpage that opens. Depending on your system set up you will then be prompted where on your machine to download the file. I would suggest the desktop for easy access unless you have a dedicated download folder already.

Thanks, but once it downloads, it pulls up that option to Extract, Test, etc. What does the Mediafire do to the download? I am not sure what to do once it downloads to my desktop. It will not open once it downloads saying "Use the web to find the appropriate program" . Sorry lol I'm just not good with this stuff. I had the GUAM mod a few years ago, but I download it again recently but cannot figure out how to make it work again as well. Thanks for trying to help
    Last edited by Kane420 Team; April 23, 2022 at 02:47 PM.

Blog Entries

The google drive download is a compressed download (zip, rar or 7z extension instead of exe) if I remember correctly, and thus google gives you the option to test or unpack it. Ignore that and download, then uncompress (7Zip is freeware) it and run the exe file.

When you click the download button in the media fire tab you got linked to then a download will start either automatically or you will be asked where to download it - depending on your system's preference setting.
    Once the file is downloaded you simply run it, either by double clicking or by right clicking and choosing the run command.
    This will start the installer as seen in the first picture of the opening post.

At no stage of following the media fire link should you be asked to test or extract.

icenii's Avatar Civis

The Google Drive Link seems to be broken at least for me, Google states the File either does not exist or cannot be found and asks if i have used the correct URL ��. I'll try mediafire, mega.nz always tries to limit me too something like 300mb DL on other mods i've tried to DL from there.
    I cannot force you to believe the truth but i can allow you to believe a lie. Quote by me " Icenii " In the game of Life Death always wins. Patience is a Virtue that takes time to acquire. The Answer is "7". No 1 wins all the time except God and he cheats.

Blog Entries

Thanks for letting me know - I am following up with the author of the upload. Mediafire is available, just checked myself.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I'll do my best to correct the Google Link tonight (European time).
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I have re-uploaded the file on Google Drive and have corrected the link in the 1st post accordingly. It should work again now. If not, drop me a PM
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; May 10, 2022 at 11:37 PM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

downloading now thank you!

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

I have tried this on Windows 11 and it does not work as it is shown above for me.

There are no green windows that pop up and let you know if things are going well or not. All that happens is that a folder is created in the mods folder of the MTW2 Steam Definitive Edition called "ss6.3". It contains no executable file or any unpacked data files. There is no tool to unpack the ss6.3 files. In fact, it seemed to damage the Steam version and forced me to create a "kingdoms.exe" file in the main directory just to get the old vanilla version back up and running.

I have no idea what went wrong or how. I may have to go back and install SS 6.4 using the original rar files I downloaded long ago. That seemed to work.

If anyone has any ideas as to what went wrong, I would appreciate it very much if you could advise me. Thanks!

Blog Entries

I have no idea what went wrong, a window should have popped up (the color of the border will most likely be different) regardless of where the mod was installed. Most likely an interference by an AV program?

Try installing the mod into a custom folder, like C:install. If that works (you will get the 'fail' version of the small DOS window) then simply move the SS6.3 folder into the game's 'mods' directory and update the desktop shortcuts. If that doesn't work then check your AV program's log and give the installer permission. I haven't had any feedback from Win11 users, nor am I one myself so I don't know if it is Win11 specific issue.
    Last edited by Gigantus; May 26, 2022 at 08:43 PM.

Yeah, that's why I stated that I was running Windows 11. Umm... I thought that might be part of the problem, but I'm not sure. It's hard to even find the anti-virus program on this OS now. I believe I only have Windows Defender, but it did not produce a pop-up asking me if I wanted to let this program make changes to my computer. I did see that MTW2 and the Kingdom Mods are granted access.

Maybe if I turn it off entirely and then install? It seems you are saying that the end result should be a folder called "ss6.3" and that it should have a executable in it and also a desktop shortcut. I assume also that the data folder will be unpacked if I have unpacked the main MTW2 game's data files.

I'll try what you said and thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Blog Entries

There is no need to unpack the main game's file. A mod will always read the packed files of the main game if it needs those files, eg when the mod does not provide them.
    Stainless Steel has executable files in their directory - if you install into a custom directory those will then moved together with the rest of the SS6.3 folder. All you have to do then (after moving) is to update the desktop shortcut's properties - 'target' and 'start in' fields.

"There is no need to unpack the main game's file. A mod will always read the packed files of the main game if it needs those files, eg when the mod does not provide them."

Ok, this part I understand.

"Stainless Steel has executable files in their directory -..."

This part I don't understand. There was no exe file for SS 6.3 anywhere, unless the original MTW2 exe file had been changed, but that did not launch Stainless Steel either. There were also no new desktop icons, which I thought was strange.

Blog Entries

If you look in the SS6.3 directory you should see 2 executable files: ss_setup and ss_launcher. Normally you would see BAT files but someone had the knowledge to create executable files instead.
    Should there be no executable files but everything else is there then I am guessing your AV removed them.

If you haven't deleted the old desktop shortcuts then their properties will have been over written, eg they will now point to the new installation. If the executable files are missing then the shortcuts cannot be created during installation.

"Should there be no executable files but everything else is there then I am guessing your AV removed them."

It sounds like this is what happened. Not only were there no launcher files, there were no pack files inside the "packs" folder. It was empty.

I'm gonna try again and do it with Windows Defender turned off and see what happens, but I have to be careful because the last attempt somehow merged part of Stainless Steel with the Crusades DLC and they launched together with blacked out spots here and there. It was really weird. I had to uninstall everything and start from scratch. (At least I know that part works )

Thanks for helping me with this!

Blog Entries

The 'packs' directory folders inside a mod will always be empty. Theoretically one could create them from the mod files themselves, but no one either bothers or knows how.