Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Full install for Stainless Steel 6.4, Meloo Fix, Steam compatible

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default Re: Full install for Stainless Steel 6.4, Meloo Fix, Steam compatible

I haven't played the base SS for a long time, but in my previous experience it was very stable, also after the battles. It was not like the RTW.
    Maybe you've got some wrong settings on your comp? applying LAA helps as well
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Meloo's fix is still available here on TWC - it's the one I used in this repack.

Doing a mix and match of 'fixes' is most likely going to lead to crashes as some of the files are not common to all fixes but depend on files that are common to most.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by zocker5534 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have been following this thread since its creation. After reading every single post I would like to summarise what fixes have been suggested here and my experience with them.

1. By now, I am 99.9% sure that I have installed the mod correctly after reinstalling it 3 or 4 times to check for different results. I have also installed the hotfix multiple times with different methods (install on desktop, then drag & drop + the "normal" installer way).
    2. My game is not installed in Program Files, it's installed on a second hard drive.
    3. I applied the 4GB patch.
    4. Did not try the fix suggested in post #111 yet.

Some things I have tried already:
    1. Verified the game files mutliple times via steam to check for corrupted/missing files in the base installation.
    2. Changed my game language from German to English in case that might have caused any problems (in the German version of the game there are missing voices if I remember correctly).
    3. Used the most basic settings in the SS setup (AI, disabled RR/AOR, permanent watchtowers) and disabled v-sync in the config.
    4. Tried different campaigns with different factions.
    5. Tried different mods, namely DaC and Kingdoms Grand Campaign mod to see if I encounter any problems there.

My experience/observations:
    My problems with the mod were and still are CTDs in loading screens, especially before and after battles. This was reproduceable everytime I played. In my testing, the hotfix, which is supposed to fix loading screen related CTDs, did not make a difference at all or I did not notice any. I ensured that I installed the hotfix correctly by using different methods as mentioned above and running the file checker again, which came back as 83 files bad and 1 missing. As Gigantus has stated in this thread before, the file checker verifies the original files and the result speaks for a correct installation, because the hotfix modified the original files. I think there is still a problem in the current Stainless Steel installation, which causes these CTDs. In the other mods I have tested, I encountered only 2 CTDs, which where not loading screen/battle-related. Other than these annyoing loading screen CTDs I have had only a few end-turn crashes, so this installation is already more stable than the older one. I will add a few lines of my system log below, where a siege was innitiated with a crash following in the loading screen. Since I study history and not computer science, I will paste the lines of the log where I think the siege/loading screen was initiated and warning/error lines are situated. I hope someone can read logs and maybe find the problem, which is hopefully applicable for everyone still encountering this.

At this point I want to thank Gigantus for creating this installer in first place and I hope my post can eventually help to fix this otherwise awesome mod!

I would like to correct my previous post by adding that it were 82 and not 83 files flagged as "bad" after the verifying process. Just in case anyone wants to compare or it makes a difference.

Sorry for the "spam", but my rather long post has not been reviewed by a moderator yet, so I basically corrected my post that has yet to come.
    I have the exact same issue! I just cant get rid of the random crashes after battles, especially settlement battles. It happens every 2 or 3 battles or so and its so annoying.
    The 4Gb Patch does nothing to fix this issue.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Patches, fixes and other animals

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post

• There is an issue with the numerical sequence of quotes that can lead to a crash when a loading screen is starting up, eg after a battle.

This patch fixes the above issues.

Default Re: Patches, fixes and other animals

the hotfix was already installed. But the issue has gone away for now, for no apparent reason.
    The only thing I did was setting everything to high in the options and disabling reflections. I doubt this has anything to do with the underlying issue though.

EDIT: No issue is still there. Just crashed after an hour long siege engagement.
    Last edited by jackless; November 28, 2021 at 05:06 AM.

If its the loading screen quotes causing all the ctd,s is there a way to remove them all together?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_D View Post
    If its the loading screen quotes causing all the ctd,s is there a way to remove them all together?
    Removing (keep a backup) the following files will revert to the default quotes (the screens are not the issue here) but you can check the screens to make sure their numbers (data\loading_screens) are in sequence, eg if a number is missing.

1. data\descr_transition_screen.txt
    2. data\text\quotes.txt and quotes.string.bin

Hi Gigantus I had removed them very files last night after posting and so far I haven't had one loading screen crash, been playing for eight hours and still no crashes.

Blog Entries

Thank you for confirming - I will have a look again at those files if something slipped by me when correcting them.

Edit: I found a duplicated 'author' number (21) in the descr_transition_screen file - the patch link (in OP as well) is updated with the corrected files, hopefully that was the remaining issue.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 03, 2021 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_D View Post
    Hi Gigantus I had removed them very files last night after posting and so far I haven't had one loading screen crash, been playing for eight hours and still no crashes.
    Can confirm! Deleting the files in question seemed to help. Had a several hour long play session with many battles an no crashes this time

@Gigantus. I have tried everything but I continually get this and have no idea what to do. "The code execution cannot proceed because d3dx9_30.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem"

Blog Entries

It's a file that should be in C:\Windows\System32, part of DirectX9. You can get it here: https://www.dll-files.com/d3dx9_30.dll.html

I am guessing you have a 64bit machine, so use the first download and then extract the file (7Zip is freeware) into the system32 directory

Do you know why I would be constantly getting "MTW2 encountered an unspecified error"? Tried multiple (different) battles and am having trouble

Hi rypatty5. If you are getting the crash before the battle is about to start or after the battle, it is caused by the quotes that will appear on the loading screen. If you install gigantus's hot fix 5 https://www.mediafire.com/file/us3sb...fix+5.exe/file
    this should solve that problem.

It only happens during the battle

@Gigantus can you help me, please?

I have a problem with Stainless Steel 6.4...

I have MTW2 Definitive Edition (Steam) and SS. 6.3 + SS 6.4 patch version. After 144 turn my game always crashes and I get the message: [Medieval 2: Total War] ...has detected unspecified error
    I deleted everything and installed MTW2 out of Program Files. Then I downloaded and installed your version Meloo Fix with BiTorrent.
    Everything installed without error according to instructions.

I copied my save file.
    Now the game crashes again, at the same place when it's my turn after Rebels.
    The message only says M2TW.

Can you help me please?
    Sorry for my English, is not so good.

Das sind letzte 10 Einträge von System Log

23:40:39.786 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ss6.3/data/ui/units/hre/#Prussian_Archers.tga (from: C:\Games\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    23:40:39.786 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ss6.3/data/ui/units/hre/#Prussian_Archers.tga (from: C:\Games\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    23:40:39.786 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ss6.3/data/ui/units/hre/#Urban_Spear_Militia.tga (from: C:\Games\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    23:40:39.786 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/ss6.3/data/ui/units/hre/#Urban_Spear_Militia.tga (from: C:\Games\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War)
    23:40:46.455 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/ss6.3/saves/HRE.sav
    23:40:46.690 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/minor_win.bik]Pause on
    23:40:46.690 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/faction/minor_win.bik]Pause on
    23:40:47.093 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War

Does this guide apply for non-steam installations as well?

Blog Entries

@dominika - that appears a crash related to a battle, could also be a scripted issue considering that it is happening at the very same turn. Not sure how to solve that, I am afraid. Lifting the fog of war and following AI movements to see when it crashes might help so see if moving an srmy helps.

@spherical - the installer is meant for Steam and disk.

Thnx, I have just installed it.

One question though, I remember an option in the campaign setup about factions reemerge, isn't that included in this repack?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it, it is a submod
    Last edited by spH3RiCal; February 02, 2022 at 04:27 AM.