Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Full install for TATW version 3.2 - automated, Steam compatible

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Full install for TATW version 3.2 - automated, Steam compatible

IntroductionWhen the mod got released back in 2011 with it's fixed installation path is was completely sufficient as only the disk version was available. With the coming of the Steam version however also came a 5 level deep path that needed to be set manually. As if that was not enough some time later the two executable files of the Steam version got merged into the medieval2 file while every mod was using the kingdoms file in their launcher (BAT file).
    This led to some rather cumbersome approaches to make the mod Steam compatible like renaming of a campaign folder, using the restrictive launcher option in Steam's library.
    All of this has been addressed by this installer version. None of the mod's game files have been altered in any way and the 'rights' to the mod are unchanged, see here for more. For small changes related to the installation see the list further down.

InstallationThis is one of my 'click through' installations, it comes in two parts due to the file size restriction of the installer application.

• Run one installer at a time, start with 'part 1 of 2'
    • As long as your registry is fine the installer will find the correct installation path. If not, simply follow the instruction displayed in the installer.
    • At the end of each installation a file verification will take place, allow it to finish, check for error messages (see picture in spoiler), close it and finalize the installation.
    • Steam users: no need to do anything extra - simply start the mod with it's desktop shortcut once you have run both installers.

Spoiler for verification picture
    Changes to original Installation25 June 2020
    - automated path setting during installation
    - Steam compatible starter with affinity setting
    - icon reworked (multiple size display)
    - disabled Nvidia intro clip
    - unpacked sound files for easy sub mod update
    - file verification after installation
    - all small caps for easy MAC use
    DownloadTorrent Download - click here
    This download contains both parts. The original files are hosted by myself and the torrent file is hosted here at TWC, making it a totally safe download. Credit to Veteraan and Seether who were instrumental in seeding the torrent.

Mega.nz - thanks to Veteraan
    Mediafire - thanks to Seether, files are in ZIP format and require unpacking before installation (7Zip is freeware)
    Google Drive - thanks to Lifthrasir

ZIP file format (for Mac OS) - thanks to Louis Lux
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 13, 2022 at 10:29 PM. Reason: updated Loius' link

Blog Entries

Default Re: Full install for version 3.2 - automated, Steam compatible

Patches, fixes and paraphernalia

Submod fix - download attachment
    Some submods may provide their own BAT file and use the old CFG file - that will start the original campaign instead of TATW. Simply extract (7Zip is freeware) the attachment into the mods\third_age_3 directory.

Essential Bugfixes - download here
    This is a simple click through installer comprising the fix by Elvenkind as posted here.
    - Balrog fix, and few minor ones.
    - Mumakil Building fix, and few Elvish guild fixes.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 01, 2020 at 08:02 AM.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Default Re: Full install for version 3.2 - automated, Steam compatible

This is really great. Much needed and much appreciated.

Default Re: Full install for TATW version 3.2 - automated, Steam compatible

downloaded but when i click on the logo it says error you have probably down loaded to the wrong folder, im on steam. fed up with this rubbish i havent been able to play this game for years and i thought thid might be my lucky day!

Blog Entries

Have you changed the installation path? Because that would be the only reason why you get this message.
    Quote Originally Posted by instructions
    As long as your registry is fine the installer will find the correct installation path. If not, simply follow the instruction displayed in the installer.
    Check as follows: right click the desktop short cut and chose 'open file location'. You should now be in the ...\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\third_age_3 directory. If not then you unnecessarily changed the install path (unless you had #myproduct in the path).

Simply make sure that the third_age_3 directory is in the mods folder and then adjust the two path entries in the desktop shortcut.

im sorry i messed up, i have a new laptop and i forgot to download MW2 in steam! what a idiot. i will try again when everytthing is in place, thanks for the quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by peoplescavalry View Post
    im sorry i messed up, i have a new laptop and i forgot to download MW2 in steam! what a idiot. i will try again when everytthing is in place, thanks for the quick response.
    It works a treat! Thank you!

Blog Entries

Glad you managed to sort it out, have fun. Tip for other mods that may tell you they can't find kingdoms.exe.

When I install version 3.2, I receive the error message: Third Age Total War has not been totally installed because of the following reason: Cannot create the following file: Z.\Users\theolezzeri\Library\Application Support\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\third_age_3\data\blockset\northern_european\animations\tower_castle_animations\castle_large_stone_tower_animations\large_castle_12_square_arrow_tower_animation_a.$$A

You will have to run this utility again to completely install Third Age Total War.

I have tried running this again but I get the same error message every time! Running this on Mac OS mojave using play on mac. Installing version 3.0 worked but the game kept crashing so I tried to install 3.2 but this keeps happening. Been trying to install third age for a week now and it's so frustrating!

Blog Entries

That file does not exist in this repack. In fact the northern_european sub directory is north_european in the installation:

mods\third_age_3\data\blockset\north_european\animations\tower_castle_animations\castle_large_stone_tower_animations\large_castle_12_square_arrow_tower_animation_a.mesh

Are you using the download from one of the links in the opening post?

Note: the use of special characters in the filename (animation_a.$$A) indicates the use of non system characters like Cyrillic (Russian), usually backup files by modders. I encountered that issue in my Rage of old Gods installer, the mod being originally by a Russian team.

Underneath the snapshot from the file listing in the installer:

Last edited by Gigantus; September 14, 2020 at 09:15 PM.

Blog Entries

According to the discussion in the Steam workshop the reason is the length of the path.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus
    I am wondering if It might have to do with the overall length of the path as well as the file name itself. I mean, just have a look at that monster in the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by nachocarazo18
    It does have to do with the length of the path. I tried installing it somewhere else with a shorter path and no errors in the installation. Thanks man
    The complete path given in the workshop had 263 characters.

Hello Gigantus, i must ask this because i am CONFUSED. By downloading THIS torrent which says version 3.2 am i downloading the 3.0 version that is listed in MODDB page? (ive been considering installing this mod since two days ago but i am doing research on which is the optimal instalation method,)
    my question is to be more precise: do i need to install previously the 3.0 version listed in other sites like moddb; or this download has all (3.0 included) condensed within the 3.2 torrent file?

thanks in advance for your response,

i am very eager to play this MOD.

Patrician

You should install this version. You don't need any other downloads that are not in this page.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Harpalykos King of Arcadia View Post
    Hello Gigantus, i must ask this because i am CONFUSED. By downloading THIS torrent which says version 3.2 am i downloading the 3.0 version that is listed in MODDB page? (ive been considering installing this mod since two days ago but i am doing research on which is the optimal instalation method,)
    my question is to be more precise: do i need to install previously the 3.0 version listed in other sites like moddb; or this download has all (3.0 included) condensed within the 3.2 torrent file?

thanks in advance for your response,

i am very eager to play this MOD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    You should install this version. You don't need any other downloads that are not in this page.
    Correct, 'full' was meant to indicate that it is a complete installation of up to version 3.2. Nothing else is needed to get to that version.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Moved off topic posts to the main TATW threads section HERE.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

Since WINE is not compatible with the Mac OS Catalina, it would be useful if the TATW files could be shared as a zipped set of folders rather than an .exe install.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Hengest View Post
    Since WINE is not compatible with the Mac OS Catalina, it would be useful if the TATW files could be shared as a zipped set of folders rather than an .exe install.
    Here you go https://mega.nz/file/roFHTKYK#9zbQq8...He8o_F_9mbGXNE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    Much appreciated, added link to the OP. Does it include the bugfix as well as the submod fix?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Much appreciated, added link to the OP. Does it include the bugfix as well as the submod fix?
    I'm not sure. Vet zipped and uploaded it before you released the updated installer, so I believe it's just vanilla 3.2.

Blog Entries

No problem, added the Bugfix as zipped file as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast