Thread: Getting rid of the family tree. Will it break anything?

Default Getting rid of the family tree. Will it break anything?

Is it going to break any scripts if I'll set all factions to the teutonic system on a new EB2 playthrough?
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

Default Re: Getting rid of the family tree. Will it break anything?

I've next to no idea about scripting, but I'm pretty sure it will break at least a couple trait giving scripts.
    Furthermore the usage of the teutonic family tree yielded rather odd results in earlier stages of EB II development. I vaguely remember that the team went back to a "standard" tree for the Sweboz just because the teutonic tree brought undesired behaviour.

EDIT: There you go for a more detailed description of the problem:
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...weboz+teutonic
    Last edited by Shadowwalker; June 25, 2020 at 07:09 AM.

Ouch.

KH also had it. The problem was basically teutonic tree meant a nerf to those factions, exacerbating the problems that the standard familiy tree already had. Like the problem with adoptions/children bearing. I remember as KH in the early versions you often had settlements without possible governor.
    Also teutonic family tends to generate older leaders (30+ almost everytime if my meory serves me right) so the capability to groom them is much more reduced. There is usually no chance for standard education with schools, and it bars you from other in game grooming systems. KH for example was, ironically, the only hellenistic faction that couldnt do the "Spartan Agoge" chain. Some new systems that have appeared since then would be incompatible with a teutonic kind of family.

I dont know if new options have arised to "fix it". If there is no fixing the system itself I could only see allowing some kind of recruitable factional general/governor for thsoe factions to make the system work. And even then you would likely have grooming problems unless older chars are weighed to appear with more trait development on average.

Edit: In fact reviwewing the thread Shadowwalker linked theres even a comment from myself mentioning having 4 characters for 10 settlements. So you can have an idea of the main issue, aside the other minor ones.
    Last edited by Jervaj; June 25, 2020 at 10:44 AM.

We will either find a way, or make one.

Yeah, I'd say factions rapidly dying out is a major deal killer. Pity there's no way of having new FM automatically generated at the young age. A single family tree isn't really fit for any faction in the era.

Quote Originally Posted by Satapatiš View Post
    Yeah, I'd say factions rapidly dying out is a major deal killer. Pity there's no way of having new FM automatically generated at the young age. A single family tree isn't really fit for any faction in the era.
    It isn't, but as highlighted, mechanically the alternative is even worse.