Thread: Request for CA! Give us a new historical antiquity Campaign PLEASE

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Default Request for CA! Give us a new historical antiquity Campaign PLEASE

Dear CA,

I hope you'll get to read this.

These past years have been very disappointing with the recent releases, especially for us ancient historical fans.

In the name of many others I'd like to ask for a new Rome II Campaign. Not asking for a new game, no new engine, no new mechanics, no new units, NOTHING. Just a new Campaign Map.

A lot of people were interested in the Mithridatic Wars, and personally I'd love a zoomed in map of at least Southern Italy on the East, full Balkans and Greece, Asia Minor and maybe even just Northern Egypt for the Ptolemaids.

This way we get to play the Romans expanding East, Illyrian Wars, Celtic invaders in the Northern Balkans, Thracians, Macedon, Greek City States, Pontus, Ptolemies, Seleucids, and everyone would be happy.

Less headache for you, smaller budget, just do a new map with a lot of settlements like you did with Thrones of Britannia and let us enjoy it. Because let's be real, nobody is happy with the Three Kingdoms or even less with the upcoming Troy and who knows when your next historical title will be coming. And when that historical title will finally come, there's a 99% chance that it'll be another disappointment.

I hope others will elaborate more and we'll see how many share the same opinion.

Frankly speaking, what I suggested here is what we deserved as a community instead of Rise of Rome.

And CA, you should know by now that this is a safe release money-wise because everyone's eyes will be on DEI to complete the work.

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Request for CA! Give us a new historical antiquity Campaign PLEASE

Rise of Philip would make an amazing Saga unlike ToB and Troy.

Again, CA would only have to use a slightly larger map than WoS and Troy by extending it further North to include the Ardiaei, Dardani, and Thracians.
    Last edited by Nikron; June 25, 2020 at 11:55 AM.

valerius karamanus's Avatar Libertus

Antiquity is done. We probably won't see another Roman era game in this decade.

Chances of Medieval 3 is optimistic though. Let us hope for a well balanced map with numerous settlements so modders can do their magic.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Not so sure, if Troy is not total failure, Alexander might be good next scenario...
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Nikron's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Not so sure, if Troy is not total failure, Alexander might be good next scenario...
    Troy will be just like 3K, initial hype and lots of sales but this time instead of the Chinese boost they'll get the boost from children who'll forget the game in a month. On the other hand you still have people playing Rome 2 and Attila because of DEI, Ancient Empires, and MK 1212.

Quote Originally Posted by valerius karamanus View Post
    Antiquity is done. We probably won't see another Roman era game in this decade.

Chances of Medieval 3 is optimistic though. Let us hope for a well balanced map with numerous settlements so modders can do their magic.
    It might be done for CA which it didn't do much justice to it but players still prefer antiquity over fantasy and pseudo-historical titles.

Problem is not making DLC for older title, problem is that making DLC for 3K/Wh2 or Troy itself will be making more money anyway. Iīm not so sure 3K is already dead, drop off was quite large but that is true for almost all games. Not everybody will buy DLCs anyway. (except Wh crowd ) Another problem is that Rome 2 got recent DLCs and if it was super viable, CA would continue but many of those players probably are there for mods not caring so much for "new" DLCs... Thus Troy>>Rome2 DLC for CA :/

Rome 2 DLCs were possible because there were no other projects that could be done in short terms. Now we have Saga titles, 3K..DLCs/possible expansion title ala Attila..Rome 2 DLCs are again deep in drawer.

Nikron's Avatar Senator

I agree with everything you’re saying but my point was not that a Rome 2 DLC should replace Troy as it’s already almost finished but rather as a future short project since it’s relatively easy.

Even CA themselves already know Troy is not worth anyone’s money, so might as well milk a 2013 title through yet another DLC as WoS was embarrassing, RotR was whatever, Desert Cultures or whatever it was called...no comment, so we only got to enjoy HatG and CiG so many years ago. Nobody even asked for RotR and Empire Divided was completely unnecessary in Rome 2, but money first not fans.

Now imagine a title with a zoomed in map like RotR and The Last Roman feature where you simply reclaim regions for the Roman Empire. You could revolutionize Total War by involving more role play, starting off as a general commanding 1 army and accumulating wealth and reputation, being later promoted to Consul where you finally rule over some cities and eventually the ruler.

Id love to see this in Total War.

Please, so I find Empire Divided and Rise of Rome very interesting.

Also the political system is now much better than before.

What I would have liked would have been a DLC with focus on the Germanicus wars, down to Panonia or Marius and Sulla

Mods keep the game alive. At Divide et Impera ko0mmt soon a new submod for ROR, I'm still hoping for an overhaul for the Emperor AUgustus campaign, which represents the collapse of the first triumvirate.

What I still miss is a fix of the Testudo, because the images on the Trajan Column show the same as in Rome 1

Nikron, you are right that such DLC would be quite easy to make comparing to new stuff but question is,if it would bring in more money than other projects...Look how Attila got no more DLCs or ToB got left dried too.

Troy is paid by Epic. That is great success for CA. 3K is still big game and Wh is practically money printing machine. And at the same time you said it yourself...how many of those R2 DLCs were total success. If they were bringing in so much money, CA would somehow continue with that..

I would love to get more DLC for R2/Attila..even ToB but right now, realistically speaking we cannot expect anything there. 3K is getting DLCs, Troy probably will get a few too, there is still possibility for 3K follop up title like Attila/Napoleon (Genghis Khan?)..then Wh3 is in the air and after that another Saga? (maybe American Civil War or something else like Alexander?) But besided that, the next major tent pole TW will be probably Empire2/Med 3 or some new IP after Wh (Tolkien?)

I think wheel of time moved and for short/mid future, antiquity is out...

I wouldn't mind getting a DLC update for Rome 2 which expands the main GC map further east and also dressing up the map with a bit more detail and features. We'll get Indian subcontinent along with the the missing Maltese islands too, including some of the Tarim Basin and Horn of Africa too. Thus officially getting the Mauryans finally.

Adding islands on map is possible, changing borders....but extending map is nogo due to how CA is building campaign map. Just too much work.
    But if you look at lower map, adding unaccessible areas as Africa or Russia is possible, because the actual landmass is there as every map is creating as XXX x YYY pixels.
    Thatīs why the best you can hope in such situation is brand new campaign map in new expansion, DLC...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

For the main GC there's some room for 2 or 3 more new province.

In India we can have 1 province with 2 settlements such as Patala/Thatta on the Indus river and Yonagadh in Saurashtra and the resource should be cotton, Iron, Marble, Grain and Gemstones.

In the horn of Africa we can get 1 region and make it part of the greater Aethiopia province, with 1 settlement of either Malao, Mosylon or Mundus and the resources should be Frankinsense, Ivory and Turtle Shells.

As for Malta CA will need to add a few new pixels and make it a bit bigger like the Island where Ibossim is located and the settlement should be Maleth. The resource should be Honey.

Personally, I prefer to see this included rather than another Alexander DLC. We have Wrath of Sparta already also. However, Rome 2 comes in close with WH2 on the playlist. It can leave room for future DLCs and expansions, like the GC map expansion I suggested and even a Alexander campaign.

Yup. Nice idea. :-)

Personally I would prefer new more detailed extra extra map with Alexander/Diadochi scenario. Because new map = new DLC = new assets and DeI or others would port the main campaign there. Sadly for R2, CA started with Wh/3K with scripted/time stamped starting dates (in 3K they are called the chapter packs) as this option allows utilizing one map again and again. R2 is left with three very similar maps of GC, Augustus and Empire Divided..

However Iīm little puzzled by R2 coming close to Wh2, SteamDB is showing R2 with around 5K and Wh2 with around 21K topping any and all TWs...Plus returning to R2 is with passing years more and more unlikely. More likely is getting Alexander as Saga game or some other Antiquity themed TW in medium far future...Simply situation is different to one a few years ago. Now there are Wh2 (soon Wh3), Troy, 3K...too many projects already.

Nikron's Avatar Senator

I can’t argue for WH titles since the numbers indicate great interest in it but I’m amazed how CA doesn’t understand that antiquity should be their bread and butter. They keep wasting our and their money and resources on unnecessary new ideas.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Primicerius

they are a company, they follow the market and try to constrain the market at the same time.
    shogun 1 might have started as a sort of passion, now it's 90% pure business.

Agreed. I doubt we will see a historical themed Total War title for a while, the last was Thrones of Britannia and Rise of the Republic. We will get more mythology and fantasy titles (Warhammer, Three Kingdoms and Troy). I wouldn't be surprised if a Lord of the Rings title comes sometime in the future.