Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Decline Of The United States of America

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: The Decline Of The United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Competent and decisive just push the poverty rate down at locked in 2011 levels of Somalia to make it vanish..
    Sour grapes

China's success is rewarded with consistently high approval ratings of the CPC by the Chinese ppl; unfortunately for the white supremacist apartheid state of the United States, this is not the case.

Just today for eg America's foremost city and nerve centre of power and finance: New York City was hit with floods that had its citizens looking like refugees in some 3rd world country; look at this and tell me, do you not feel embarrassment and shame that this is the state of your greatest city?

Your apathy speaks volumes about how the US has declined as much as it has; white americans from 70 years ago would not have tolerated such crappy state of affairs.

EDIT:
    Secondly, you know the US is obviously in decline when their propaganda films no longer have the same impact they once did:

Citing the Miami condo tragedy, Chinese netizens mock The Tomorrow War as 'illogical' and 'absurd'
    CHINA / SOCIETYCiting the Miami condo tragedy, Chinese netizens mock The Tomorrow War as 'illogical' and 'absurd'
    By Global Times Published: Jul 09, 2021 05:40 PM

The Tomorrow War. Photo: VCG

American sci-fi blockbuster The Tomorrow War, which reportedly became one of the most-streamed films in the US days after it started streaming on video platforms on July 2, seems to be unable to satisfy Chinese audiences. On China's Twitter-like Weibo, many users grumbled the film was "illogical" and "absurd," saying they're bored of the bombastic America-style narration of US heroes saving the globe, the Global Times found.

Heated discussion of The Tomorrow War was seen on Weibo on Friday, when a user posted a scene from the film that looks very much like Chinese students practicing military training at school. It remains unclear where the scene was originally from.

Some users said the scene looked "steely awkward," as it appears when the film is saying the world is transporting soldiers and civilians from the present to the future, to join a life-and-death fight between humans and an alien species.

"Why do the scenes of troops from other countries look perfectly normal, but China's troops look like college students?" one user asked, adding he didn't think the film deliberately tried to defame the Chinese military.

Other users concerned about the possible risk of copyright infringement asked whether the film asked for permission before using the scene. "I hope it was not a Chinese university's video material that directors of the film downloaded from the internet," one user joked.

More users grumbled they're tired of watching Americans save the globe on the big screen. The hero role that the US always plays in Hollywood movies is inconsistent with the country's irresponsible image in reality, they said.

"Take a look at what US does in the real world: sending troops to the Middle East, withdrawing from many international organizations, launching a trade war against China...it is not a savior but a trouble maker," one wrote user.

Another user mentioned the collapsed building in Florida. "Even now the US hasn't found all the people trapped," he wrote. "How can it save the whole world with such a poor rescuing ability?"
    Source: https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202107/1228261.shtml
    Last edited by Exarch; July 09, 2021 at 06:35 AM.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Sour grapes
    Non response

Your apathy speaks volumes about how the US has declined as much as it has; white americans from 70 years ago would not have tolerated such crappy state of affairs.
    Yep no bad rain storms in the US 70 years ago nope not ever.

And China never has bad weather right floods mud slides? Oh wait.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200819-mudslides-and-dramatic-rescues-as-china-hit-by-floods

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=186078726867410

Secondly, you know the US is obviously in decline when their propaganda films no longer have the same impact they once did:
    Err it was a pretty s--t film. I would expect criticism the plot is all over the place and if you stop to think about any bit the holes are large and thus the overall poor quality did not make me stop and not notice.
    If did poorly in China I'm not going to worry. Edit: As with all things on persons opinion is their own. If you liked the film cool. I will admit I am stickler for Time Travel movies and really do spend a lot time looking for anything I deem not well grounded.

The re release of Avatar in China did very well. putting it back above Avengers Engame in highest Box Office (un adjusted) numbers.

Tomorrow stuck as a bad B movie sci fi movie. A good has a good enough concept that even if has poor production or holes you are cool. An A grade move should be slick enough that even if really big holes you enjoyed the 2 hour -ish ride. Even if over the long term you pick apart the flaws over drinks with friends etc.
    Last edited by conon394; July 09, 2021 at 05:55 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

And China never has bad weather right floods mud slides? Oh wait.
    A pertinent question...it happens everywhere, it happens to everyone.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    China's success is rewarded with consistently high approval ratings of the CPC by the Chinese ppl
    I don’t doubt, but you see, here, freedom of expression gives you the right to express your thoughts freely. In Chinese forums you are not allowed to criticize the politics of your country.
    Last edited by Ludicus; July 09, 2021 at 08:14 AM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Indefinitely Banned

Err it was a pretty s--t film. I would expect criticism the plot is all over the place and if stop to think about any bit the holes are large and thus the overall poor quality did not make me stop and not notice.
    If did poorly in China I'm not going to worry.

The re release of Avatar in China did very well. putting it back above Avengers Engame in highest Box Office (un adjusted) numbers.

Tomorrow stuck as a bad B movie sci fi movie. A good has a good enough concept that even if has poor production or holes you are cool. An A grade move should be slick enough that even if really big holes you enjoyed the 2 hour -ish ride. Even if over the long term you pick apart the flaws over drinks with friends etc.
    Really, the last time the United States produced good film and tv was back in the 1990s-2008; the years 1994-1995 produced some of the best films eg Shawshank Redemption, Speed, Forrest Gump, Waterworld, Toy Story.
    Compare that to the tv and films of today and it is all consistently crap, like harvey weinstein needed to sexually harass talented writers rather than talentless starlets for a change.

I do have a theory on that decline though; 9/11 traumatised the american public so much that they preferred escapist reality tv like shows like American Idol and Love Island- in fact the writer of the Hunger Games referenced this disconnect between escapist reality tv shows and the bloodshed of Iraq, when writing her novels.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Really, the last time the United States produced good film and tv was back in the 1990s-2008; the years 1994-1995 produced some of the best films eg Shawshank Redemption, Speed, Forrest Gump, Waterworld, Toy Story.
    Umm sorry E if you think Speed, Forrest Gump, Waterworld were good movies you really to cut back on the day drinking. Water world I will allow is a decent B movie but the others. Speed is just bad. Forrest Gump is a complete disservice to the book turned into a hand job for baby boomers.

I do have a theory on that decline though; 9/11 traumatised the american public so much that they preferred escapist reality tv like shows like American Idol and Love Island- in fact the writer of the Hunger Games referenced this disconnect between escapist reality tv shows and the bloodshed of Iraq, when writing her novels.
    Yes and back in the day the Andy Griffith Show and Mr Ed were gritty real life hard punching drama?

Edit: I mean I know I still cry a bit where ED took on and defended the civil rights movement and gave Wilbur a pranging for ignoring jim crow. Oh wait that is in the alternative timeline the network canceled.
    Last edited by conon394; July 09, 2021 at 05:58 PM.

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Sour grapes

China's success is rewarded with consistently high approval ratings of the CPC by the Chinese ppl; unfortunately for the white supremacist apartheid state of the United States, this is not the case.

Just today for eg America's foremost city and nerve centre of power and finance: New York City was hit with floods that had its citizens looking like refugees in some 3rd world country; look at this and tell me, do you not feel embarrassment and shame that this is the state of your greatest city?

EDIT:

Source: https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202107/1228261.shtml
    And those high approval ratings definitely weren’t made up by a regime that has a track record of hiding and faking statistics! At best, those survey takers were compelled to approve the government, or face punishment.

You have it backwards, the USG failed to perform, failed to deliver results to its people
    This doesn't make sense on a political theory level, if the USG wasn't doing what it's voters wanted, the voters would vote otherwise. That's kinda the point of democracy. I'd saddle voters with more responsibility than just government "failing to perform".
    whereas the Chinese expect and get leaders who are competent and decisive.

I can all but guarantee you that the CCP is rife with corruption and nepotism. It's the nature of a single-party state; loyalty and protection to the party is going to be valued more than competency or fairness. Imagine a woman is raped by the son of a high up CCP official; ain't no way that woman is getting any judicial recourse.
    The US- indeed any white anglo liberal democracy- is actually a feudal apartheid oligarchy, otherwise ppl would not get so frustrated with democratic systems that go nowhere and simply change the facade of leadership rather than actual change.
    I already said why people get frustrated, the system doesn't change as they want it to because of the nature of opposition as well as the moderating effects of our institutions. The election system still works; if people want political change they can do it. Until the election system is busted, idk how we get away from the principles of liberal democracy.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Indefinitely Banned

Umm sorry E if you think Speed, Forrest Gump, Waterworld were good movies you really to cut back on the day drinking. Water world I will allow is a decent B movie but the others. Speed is just bad. Forrest Gump is a complete disservice to the book turned into a hand job for baby boomers.

Yes and back in the day the Andy Griffith Show and Mr Ed were gritty real life hard punching drama?

Edit: I mean I know I still cry a bit where ED took on and defended the civil rights movement and gave Wilbur a pranging for ignoring jim crow. Oh wait that is in the alternative timeline the network canceled.
    The 90s were a golden age of american film and art, although i hate post modernism; still, the great film ever made was produced: Braveheart (1995).

No other film has come close to matching its depth and story pacing.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    This doesn't make sense on a political theory level, if the USG wasn't doing what it's voters wanted, the voters would vote otherwise. That's kinda the point of democracy. I'd saddle voters with more responsibility than just government "failing to perform".
    That should be how democracy is supposed to work, in theory.
    In practice, US democracy is captured by rentier capitalist class hence why so many Americans feel like their voices are not being heard:

I can all but guarantee you that the CCP is rife with corruption and nepotism. It's the nature of a single-party state; loyalty and protection to the party is going to be valued more than competency or fairness. Imagine a woman is raped by the son of a high up CCP official; ain't no way that woman is getting any judicial recourse.

I already said why people get frustrated, the system doesn't change as they want it to because of the nature of opposition as well as the moderating effects of our institutions. The election system still works; if people want political change they can do it. Until the election system is busted, idk how we get away from the principles of liberal democracy.
    The US has legalised corruption eg SuperPacs, lobbying, post office positions; China has an active anti corruption drive which produces the desired effect of keeping corruption to a minimum, so that even if there is discovered corruption, the corrupt officials have to prove that their apparent corruption resulted in a net benefit to the people.

Secondly, US corruption is a vulnerability of US liberal democracy which has been masterfully exploited by the CPC.

I find it interesting how the debate came down with people regurgitating government talking points of US and China butting heads.
    The ironic aspect of this is in the fact that at the end of the day both regimes are rather similar - much like regular Chinese can't get rid of whatever they have for Soviet Gosplan, Americans can vote all they want, but they will never be able to vote away Blackrock and Wall st lobby. "Democracy" has been a crucial part of Western liberal mythology, but nothing more then that.
    If America is to collapse in recent future, it would certainly do a number on Chinese economy, as it manufacturing sector relies on Americans buying its stuff.
    Having said that, Chinese government, although being somewhat stuck with antiquated marxist ideas does still have certain understanding of pragmaticism that prevents it from undermining the very basis of its power, that American elites evidently no longer have. Recent decade of repeated humiliations, leaks and defeats of pro-US puppet regimes have given American elites a bitter sense of inferiority and sense of resentment against their own population, as they correctly understand that their control over narrative is slipping from their fingers as their own population starts questioning things despite the constant barrage of pro-establishment propaganda, but instead of making correct conclusion that reform is needed, they double-down with previously-set disastrously course, all consequences be damned.
    At the end of the day, moral state of the society is a crucial factor. Its cool to be an edgy kid who is okay with hedonism, but only a person ignorant of historical facts would ignore that rampant hedonism always precedes societal decline. A powerful and prosperous state is a state which is operating with a higher ideal in mind. Society, where only genitals and stomachs are put on a pedestal, will never accomplish great things, because there is no motivation to do such things in the society. The last great thing America did was sending man to the moon. That was over half a century ago.
    So as poor and crappy Chinese government is, as much as I myself dislike its regime - it can and will replace US as dominant world super power in our lifetime. That is, unless a Caesarian figure appears in American politics that would cut the Gordian knot of deepstate-corporate conglomerates and have a good vision for the future.

I realize you are suspended now but can't resist

Braveheart (1995).

No other film has come close to matching its depth and story pacing.
    Err I hope that is sarcasm. Aside from the fun of watching a very good actor in Patrick McGoohan chewing scenery and having fun playing a villain after that just no it a fairly silly movie. And don't get me started on historical gaffs.

Indefinitely Banned

As promised, i have returned and the United States is in no less of a crap state than when i left it.

Lawlessness and great train robberies take place on an almost daily basis as the federal government cedes military and police control to gangs of thieves.

meanwhile, murders occur in front of police and no justice is served as america's moral integrity crumbles

Last edited by Exarch; January 18, 2022 at 12:04 AM.

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

As promised, i have returned and the United States is in no less of a crap state than when i left it.

Lawlessness and great train robberies take place on an almost daily basis as the federal government cedes military and police control to gangs of thieves.

meanwhile, murders occur in front of police and no justice is served as america's moral integrity crumbles

it is basically not different in all the other non-chinese countries.

Now if you would really focus your indignant gaze on actual China...

Yes the the US has never had train robberies before...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_robbery

Also of course truck freight theft is still a thing as well. What do expect in a relativity open society with comparatively low CCT? Freedom as the republicans like say ain't free and it means you have put up this kinda crime.

---

On the second nope never happens anywhere else

https://soranews24.com/2021/12/28/at...train-station/
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/man-pushes...P3ODeVxugWyYNa
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...im-front-train
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKCN1UO1E4

If you are feeling paranoid just follow the advise of Wild Bill Hickok (which he famously failed to follow one fine day) and keep you back to the wall and maybe you will not get dealt a dead man's hand on a subway platform no matter where in the world you are at.
    Last edited by conon394; January 18, 2022 at 07:04 PM. Reason: off topic (cannot be reasonably discussed) parts deleted

Praeses

Bizarre old thread, and still not a shred of evidence to support OP. the US system is extremely robust, look at the absolute clown shoes President. Senile, plainly not competent to operate a lemonade stand but he's nominal C-in-C of the only superpower. The last president was if anything worse, a TV clown painted orange who managed to be less competent than the current zombie.

Compare this with the two contenders China and Russia, both with intelligent competent leaders who are finding it harder and harder to keep their countries together. Both have ripped up the constitutions to give themselves rule for life; this is an extremely worrying sign for any modern state. It means all other things being equal the state can't function unless one particular guy is in charge, so plainly they feel they are in a desperately precarious situation, and when they get too old, its probably going to be extremely bad for their countries.

The US could put Alex Jones or some whacked out hippie in the Oval Office and things would keep rolling along I guess, the contenders are one significant illness away from disaster.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Really not sure what beef with Biden is he comes across substantially more competent than Reagan or Trump or GB jr for that matter. Frank certainly more than JFK - green lit the bay of pigs and recklessly forced short term nukes in Turkey thus pissing off the USSR... And was all down with using new conventional forces in Nam.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

I think the idea of a country being 'in decline' an interesting topic. I think it is a fanciful way of attempting to either discredit a country in the present, or justify action against it in the past. I think the term often says more about those doing the labelling, than it does about the labelee.

For example... Use of the term 'sick man of Europe' to discredit an Ottoman Empire that neighbours often had clear aims at either dismembering, or at least nibbling at. The term justifies intervention by delegitimising the fundamentals of it's independence - and becomes a self fulfilling prophesy if those interventions in turn lead actual crippling of the state they describe.

In the case of this thread, and Exarchs' well established Chinese advocacy, the decline narrative is an attempt to delegitimise actions and decisions made by the US Government, and legitimise those made against it either for it's own good, or as taking advantage. It is a narrative that seeks to frame any restructure or institutional change, as response to crisis or decline. When in fact, the US has faced crises of all sorts throughout it's history. Some far more exestential than anything this thread has discussed.

After the fact, if the US did indeed fail, we can point to that fact to justify the narrative - it becomes its own evidence. If not, we can pretend it was just the usual posturing and forget we said anything, or just perpetuate the narrative until entropy does it's thing.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Praeses

Really not sure what beef with Biden is he comes across substantially more competent than Reagan or Trump or GB jr for that matter. Frank certainly more than JFK - green lit the bay of pigs and recklessly forced short term nukes in Turkey thus pissing off the USSR... And was all down with using new conventional forces in Nam.
    The videos of him mumbling and forgetting what he's saying are getting to me.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    The videos of him mumbling and forgetting what he's saying are getting to me.
    He has a stutter, and really seems like you over focusing. In any case we have fossils in the Senate that make him look spry. After that look the eloquence of Tonyy Blair got a lot Americans thinking GBjr was right on weapons of mass destruction and Iraq.

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

He has a stutter, and really seems like you over focusing.
    A stutter? C'mon, man!

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

I still just find it ironic you same people who are pounding the table on the “Biden is completely senile” stance are the same who were vehemently defending Trump, an obese incoherent man of roughly the same age, as being completely mentally capable of being President, and vice versa. You people are too busy fellating yourselves over your team sports “I must win at any cost” mentality that it has resulted in you regurgitating blatant propaganda as long as it comes from the _____ Party.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR