Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The problem of stripes

Default The problem of stripes

Hello, comrades. I am writing to you via Yandex translator, because my English is bad. I am developing a modification based on Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms Teutonic campaign.
    There was a problem with stripes on the strategic map. I was advised to reach the limit in the map of regions to get rid of the stripe, but it didn't work. Help who can. Here is the link.
    https://yadi.sk/d/OUeWRFHUXwQPIw

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: The problem of stripes

Check if you have got map files in the imperial_campaign folder, especially map_fog, and remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Check if you have got map files in the imperial_campaign folder, especially map_fog, and remove them.
    Need to remove only map_fog and nothing else?
    I copied all the files from the base folder to the campaign folder. I’m editing there

Tried to remove mapfor bands like became less. However, they did not completely disappear. In addition, I deleted all duplicate files from the imperial_campaign folder, but this did not give results. Maybe you can try to run my mod to sort it out on the spot?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

You should not have map files in the imperial_campaign folder, remove them all - they should only be in the 'base' folder. If you want to keep backups then keep them outside the 'world' directory or rename them.

You should not have map files in the imperial_campaign folder, remove them all - they should only be in the 'base' folder. If you want to keep backups then keep them outside the 'world' directory or rename them.
    No, it didn't help. I moved the maps to the base folder, but the stripes remained.

Your map_regions in the campaign folder has one region that's large and split up all over the place - I guess it was the 'background' colour while you developed the map...

The game is not going to like that, and it is likely the cause of your stripes... if you can't sort those areas into proper regions yet, at least make them water.

EDIT: pic to help show what I mean:

EDIT2: you look like that's close to max number of regions already, so you probably can't make those separated areas into new regions... you'll need to donate chunks of them to the surrounding regions - there's a hard-coded issue about regions needing to be 'convex' which mainly means you can't force the ai to try and pathfind through another region to get to other bits of it's starting region. Splitting parts of a region off and surrounding them with other regions fairly obviously breaks that!

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    Your map_regions in the campaign folder has one region that's large and split up all over the place - I guess it was the 'background' colour while you developed the map...

The game is not going to like that, and it is likely the cause of your stripes... if you can't sort those areas into proper regions yet, at least make them water.

EDIT: pic to help show what I mean:

EDIT2: you look like that's close to max number of regions already, so you probably can't make those separated areas into new regions... you'll need to donate chunks of them to the surrounding regions - there's a hard-coded issue about regions needing to be 'convex' which mainly means you can't force the ai to try and pathfind through another region to get to other bits of it's starting region. Splitting parts of a region off and surrounding them with other regions fairly obviously breaks that!
    Yes, I know about the big pieces in the map of the regions. The fact is that I tried to get rid of the stripes in this way. I took these pieces to all deserts on the map. It did not help. Before I united the deserts into one region, the stripes were also, despite the fact that the limit was exhausted.

I also tried to make a map of regions with 2-3 regions. The stripes did not disappear. They were from the very beginning. And also on this map there is a crash during the transition to the tactical map. Moreover, the problem affects both the mod and the game as a whole.

2 or 3 regions on a large map will give you similar problem - M2TW doesn't like large regions... if you want to do a simplified map in M2 you need to make most of it sea, and add land area later

your map_features.tga in the imperial_campaign folder is also likely to cause problems you've got rivers without fords that cut regions into separate sections - and generally will make an unusable pathfinding situation for the AI

Moreover, the problem affects both the mod and the game as a whole.
    what do you mean by 'the game as a whole' - your M2 installation without any mods???

can you get a screenshot of the problem happening?

https://yadi.sk/i/WfFqPR2NtX-a8g

here is a screen of the stripes on the map

what do you mean by 'the game as a whole' - your M2 installation without any mods???
    I mean that launching M2TW tactical battles are loaded. But after installing my mod, tactical battles are crashed in fashion, and in the M2TW itself, too. There is a departure from the game during the transition from the strategic map to the tactical one

Thanks for the info and picture - I'll try installing the mod myself tomorrow, and see if I can work out a fix.

aaargh, that took a lot longer than it should have to figure out...

The Stripy problem is caused because your map_fog.tga is the wrong size - it needs to be the same size as map_heights.tga 1001x765
    not map_regions size

you do also have a few problems with that map_regions.tga - there's 2 chunks of light blue near the center that don't belong to any region! and as well as the green coloured province that's split up you've got a separated bit of a yellow province, below the pink one 4 down from top right. And a lost pixel from a purple one below one of the large green chunks. If that and the uncrossable river issue isn't causing you problems yet - it will by the time you've got AI armies trying to move around...

Thanks for the info and picture - I'll try installing the mod myself tomorrow, and see if I can work out a fix.
    Thank you. In extreme cases, can you try to make a new map of regions with a minimum of regions? The main thing is that there are no stripes.

aaargh, that took a lot longer than it should have to figure out...

The Stripy problem is caused because your map_fog.tga is the wrong size - it needs to be the same size as map_heights.tga 1001x765
    not map_regions size

you do also have a few problems with that map_regions.tga - there's 2 chunks of light blue near the center that don't belong to any region! and as well as the green coloured province that's split up you've got a separated bit of a yellow province, below the pink one 4 down from top right. And a lost pixel from a purple one below one of the large green chunks. If that and the uncrossable river issue isn't causing you problems yet - it will by the time you've got AI armies trying to move around...
    Thank you so much. You save my mod. Today I’ll check map_fog. Could you please indicate the colors of the RGB provinces that cause problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Rauxa-alana View Post
    Could you please indicate the colors of the RGB provinces that cause problems?

Pic should show the problem areas - I've noticed another one that has a colour but no settlement dot, on right hand side, marked with big arrows in the pic.

So you can check this, try to set your graphics (photoshop etc) 'magic wand' to select colours with 0 tolerance and non-contiguous, or 'select-similar' with 0 tolerance. Test by clicking on one of those split up green sections so you can see them all highlight.

Pic should show the problem areas - I've noticed another one that has a colour but no settlement dot, on right hand side, marked with big arrows in the pic.

So you can check this, try to set your graphics (photoshop etc) 'magic wand' to select colours with 0 tolerance and non-contiguous, or 'select-similar' with 0 tolerance. Test by clicking on one of those split up green sections so you can see them all highlight.
    Excellent, your advice saved the map from stripes. I am indebted. if you knew how long I struggled with this problem. Thank you from all of Central Asia, which is waiting for the release of this mod. As for the map of the regions, we will definitely fix it. I want to ask whether it is possible to leave deserts united in one region? Will this affect AI calculations during raids and incursions?

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

I want to ask whether it is possible to leave deserts united in one region?
    Its possible, but depending on the size of the region in question it may actually cause instability problems.

Will this affect AI calculations during raids and incursions?
    As far as im aware the AI is checking the distance to nearby settments when making a decision what to attack. So they will first target nearby settlements and not nearby regions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    Its possible, but depending on the size of the region in question it may actually cause instability problems.

As far as im aware the AI is checking the distance to nearby settments when making a decision what to attack. So they will first target nearby settlements and not nearby regions.
    And how do you know the acceptable size of the region at which the game will work stably?
    Let's say I combine 5-6 deserts in different parts of the map. Each is the size of a province

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast