Thread: [Cutlery] Medieval cutlery set

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Icon6 [Cutlery] Medieval cutlery set

No brand name or package. Bought from here:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Simple fork, spoon and knife. Only €12 each - plus you get to see the rich and happy life of Medieval oppressors (wish they sell furniture too!)

They're apparently handmade with real iron not some black cover.

- Knife with wide and thick blade is far superior to conventional knifes, as it doesn't bend under stress when chopping thick meat.
    - Spoon is a bit too flat. Still usable for rice and dumplings.
    - Fork is of some rather odd design (pitchforks??) and so far the only purpose I can imagine is to stab unwanted guests.

All three of them are heavy and sturdy, can double as weapon when needed.

I was also warned about the touch on the tongue but they actually feel quite normal.

100% Recommended to anyone who want a non-boring cutlery set.
    Last edited by AqD; June 12, 2020 at 11:51 AM.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [Cutlery] Medieval cutlery set

Ooo, product reviews are still a thing! Nice! IIRC Forks were invented centuries later than knifes, folks used to cut stuff and then eat with their hand.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Oh nice, very cool! I recently listened to a podcast about table manners throughout the ages, so very relevant.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Ooo, product reviews are still a thing! Nice! IIRC Forks were invented centuries later than knifes, folks used to cut stuff and then eat with their hand.
    centuries or even thousands of years after knives? Definitely, since the earliest knives were simply stones with sharp edges and that was the most pressing need we humans had. As for forks they've been around for quite a long time as well. You're correct in saying though that table manners were completely different back then, and as such their roles were different depending on the culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

centuries or even thousands of years after knives? Definitely, since the earliest knives were simply stones with sharp edges and that was the most pressing need we humans had. As for forks they've been around for quite a long time as well. You're correct in saying though that table manners were completely different back then, and as such their roles were different depending on the culture.
    Knifes used as cutlery as we do today
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

I'm sure those sharp edges were more useful at ambushing your guests and chopping people than pork:

In case you haven't noticed the shape of "fork" is quite similar, bind it to a wooden stick and you get a formidable weapon!

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

I think I have really missed such threads.
    Maybe we'll be able to revive product reviews etc