Thread: A question about Rome

Default A question about Rome

Guys, I'm so hyped with playing Rome in the incredible world u have created but I don't see the point of this if I conquer the world and my army is still made of republic era units. So, does this mod include roman imperial era units like legionaries in plate armor etc.?

Default Re: A question about Rome

Post-Marian Cohors Reformata in chainmail is the final Roman tier. The mod doesn't go this far into the Principate era to allow for the lorica segmentata and rectangle scuta.
    Furthermore, I believe that Rome must be destroyed.

There is a third Roman reform, the Imperial Reforms, that is not yet in the game. This reform simulates what the legionary looks like after the Roman Civil Wars. Depending on how much artistic liberty the EB team takes, the post-Imperial legionary may or may not have lorica segmentata

Quote Originally Posted by Dezallus View Post
    Guys, I'm so hyped with playing Rome in the incredible world u have created but I don't see the point of this if I conquer the world and my army is still made of republic era units. So, does this mod include roman imperial era units like legionaries in plate armor etc.?
    The mod stops in 14AD, there will never be legionaries with lorica segmentata.

The only imperial unit that will appear when we've done the Imperial reform are the Praetorian Cohors.

Total abolition of land requirements, creation of the Cohort, the Primi Ordines, veteran recruitment, and Auxilia are available when you hit the Marian Reforms. Almost everything important about the Imperial army is already in the game.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    The mod stops in 14AD, there will never be legionaries with lorica segmentata.

The only imperial unit that will appear when we've done the Imperial reform are the Praetorian Cohors.
    That's fine, but you're just factually wrong about lorica segmentata, which actually did exist during the reign of Augustus as proven by its depiction on his own Arch of Augustus in Susa, Piedmont, Italy, erected by the Celtic Ligurian client king Marcus Julius Cottius. We have archaeological examples of it from Switzerland and Germany dating back to about 9 BC, two decades before the end of the game. Let's not pretend it didn't exist in the very early Principate, even if its use was seemingly more widespread by the time it was depicted on Trajan's Column.

If you refer to this relief...

It's so badly preserved and, frankly, it's such a low quality craftsmanship on the part of the sculptor that the supposed bands on their shoulders are so similar in shape to how folds on the tunicas are depicted. You can see how they stop at the men elbow's. More likely it's just badly sculpted representation of the heavy folds on the cloth.

The artist tried to represent this:

Which gives very heavy folds in both linen and wool because the cut for the tunica for the period is a sleevless one and the sleeves are formed by gathering the material with the belt, except the artist tried to do a classical "wet clothes style" like this:

But they didn't manage sculpting it too well.

The arch of Susa is a votive scene of the procession and the sacrifice to the gods. Quite likely the soldiers are in their citizen tunicas there.

Edit:
    For the clarity - I'm not bashing the Kalkriese/Teutoburg find. But the Susa piece of the Roman sculptural art is a particularly bad evidence for anything.
    Last edited by Satapatiš; June 13, 2020 at 11:31 AM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Hmm. You might be right about that, although it is still up for debate. Doesn't change the fact we have found remains of lorica segmentata dating back to the very late 1st century BC in Central European archaeological sites, placing it within the reign of Augustus.

Yeah, but if you wanted to model a transitional legion from the Augustus's reign then you'd have to put at least chainmail mixed with early segmentata into the unit and the segmentata would be a minority at this point. Also, at least three helmet types and maybe even a mix of the oval and rectangle shields. In no way it'd be a uniform unit with all men having same armor and helmet.