Thread: Campaign map

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Campaign map

That's more detailed than Wrath of Sparta. Do all those regions have multiple slots or we go with province and minor settlements?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Interesting...building slots still there, usual 8+4 looks like, 3-4 regions per province
    Resources are finally finite, depleting local sources..

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Daruwind; June 11, 2020 at 12:56 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

I had hoped for a bit more of Thrace and Anatolia but the area present does look incredibly detailed. And finite resources are a great inclusion.

The Youtuber seemed a bit confused, Sarpedon had already been confirmed and I doubt that the four factions surrounding Sarpedon are actually playable. They are too obscure to even be considered as viable candidates, so they look more like Sarpedon's neighbors, his enemies, his allies and generally the legendary lords with whom he will interact. By the way, I don't want to whine, but the map is actually much smaller than what CA had originally suggested:
    Troy is at its dead center, with the overall theater encompassing mainland Greece, Crete, and most of modern Turkey.
    Apparently, only the western coastline of Turkey will be accessible, which is fine in the context of the Trojan War, but that makes Creative Assembly's earlier claim sound rather misleading.

Number of regions looks like around 200 so map will be very detailed but it just confirmed that we won´t see more exotic cultures (Egypt, Hittite, Asyrians,Sea people....). To me it looks like the whole story is about Achaeans vs Trojans.

Finite resources might be hint for Bronze Age Collapse as that is all we will get from it probably. I´m curious how trade will work. Trading finite number of one resource for others each turn?

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

So many effects, so many lines of tiny 0.5% buffs, yet 4 building limit still a thing... Late titles somehow manage to combine mobile game simplicity with Paradox complexity.

I for one love the UI.
    The Armenian Issue

https://www.ign.com/articles/a-total...story-and-myth

How can you make a conflict over one city last as long as a full campaign? Well, the answer is that you can pay as much attention to the classic story as you feel like. The eight playable factions (four Greek and four Trojan) each have a “Homeric victory” condition that leads them down the path they followed in the Iliad. But if you want a more traditional Total War experience, there’s also a conquest victory which bids you to control a certain amount of territory. While we didn’t get to see much of the campaign map, I was told that it will be “on par with [Total War: Warhammer 2’s] Mortal Empires” in terms of the number of conquerable regions. Divided roughly between Greek and Anatolian cultural spheres, it spans all of Greece proper, the coastal parts of Anatolia, and as far south as the island of Crete.
    And you’ll run into much more than just the eight major factions. The playable Achaean Greeks will have to deal with the neighboring Ionians (including Athens), Aeolians, and Dorians, united under the general Greek “family” but each with some cultural distinctiveness. Likewise the Trojans will be only one of four tribal groupings found on the Anatolian side of the map. There will be more than 100 distinct factions in total, so while the scope might be smaller than some other Total Wars, the scale certainly won’t be.

The personalities of each legendary hero will be felt in their campaign as well. Achilles’ aforementioned moodiness will lead his faction to be somewhat at his emotional whims. Some turns, he might be fired up and ready to kick some ass, granting bonuses. Others, he might slip into a funk and diminish your momentum. It’s hard being so buff and so destined for greatness. Sometimes you have to just lay in the white sand and listen to your “Feelin’ Blue” playlist on Spotify before you can get back to running hundreds of enemy combatants through with a spear.
    -so WH2 ME is around 300 regions....map to me looks more like 200, but faction wise it is 100+
    -two cultural spheres..so probably nothing like Egypt, Ethiopians, Hittite, Asyrians.....
    Last edited by Daruwind; June 12, 2020 at 02:01 PM.

Depending on how well Troy does, there will likely be campaign expansions for Hittites and Egyptians.
    The Armenian Issue

If anything, we will see faction pack adding new starting lords...but any (map) expansion is very unlikely.. Just look how many empty region are there. Placeholders...So I can imagine seeing Egyptian as expedition but definitely not as having access to Egypt land...

We've had expansions with different maps before. No reason why we cant have it again.
    The Armenian Issue

You mean like minicampaigns? That´s even more unlikely....CA ditched minicampaigns for Wh2, 3K has no special minicampaigns, everything on the same one map.

Sigh... There is no CA rule book that says they will never have an expansion with a different map. They might not choose to do it with Warhammer or Three Kingdoms games because those games didn't warrant such an approach.
    The Armenian Issue

Sigh...it is not about CA, it is about me lacking imagination to imagine your scenario. I´m just failing to see logic, can you please describe your version, how you imagine such map expansion, handling old/new leaders, factions etc. And I really don´t mean it in any negative way. I just discarded in my head all scenarios...

Centenarius

Looking at the campaign map i wonder if the Cicones will be included; maybe as a minor faction?
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Last edited by KLAssurbanipal; July 16, 2020 at 07:06 PM.